Chapter 39

Even though I was slightly annoyed with him, I sat on the Grime's porch

Even though I was slightly annoyed with him, I sat on the Grime's porch. My back was pressed against Carl's leg as he slowly rocked Judith in the rocking chair. I listened to Carl talk to Judith as she pointed at the stars.

"Hey," I looked over at Michonne. I had seen her walk up the stairs.

"Hey," Carl and I said at the same time.

"You have a good day?" Michonne asked. I stayed quiet, unsure what to say. Yeah, it was fun but it kind of went downhill at the end. 

"I guess so," Carl replied after a minute. Judith began to squirm. "I'm gonna take her in."

"I should probably get going. Mom and Dad will start to worry if I stay out too late," I explained, standing up. Carl followed my lead.

"Night, Rori," he said. I smiled slightly.

"Goodnight, Carl. Michonne," I said.

"Actually, I would like to talk to you both," Michonne said, grabbing my arm gently. 

"I need to get going, Michonne. Maybe tomorrow we can talk?" I suggested with a smile. 

"No, otherwise I'll have to tell your parents," Michonne said, causing me to freeze.

"Tell them what?" Carl turned back around to face us. 

"I saw what you guys did out there. With Deanna," Michonne said, leaning her sword up against the porch. 

"Yeah?"

"You should've left her or killed her," Michonne said. I stared at Michonne quietly. 

"No, that's stupid," Carl answered for the both of us, even though I didn't agree. I didn't exactly stop him though.

"What's stupid is you being out there when you don't have to."

"You did the same thing. You didn't- You and Spencer didn't have to go out there, but you did,"  Carl argued.

"Yeah, and it's not exactly like we're new to this whole apocalypse thing. We know how to deal with walkers," I added.

"What Spencer and I did, that's different," Michonne tried to say but Carl was quick to protest. 

"It's not. I wasn't gonna leave her out there like that. You wouldn't," Michonne took in a breath to say something but Carl was quick to continue. "You wouldn't. I know it. I couldn't kill her."

"Why not?" Michonne asked slowly, watching as Carl readjusted Judith. 

"You know, I'm not really a part of this conversation, so I'm going to just go," I said awkwardly, trying to inch my way away from them.

"Uh, uh. You leave and I'll tell your parents, Aurora," Michonne threatened. I immediately stilled. "Carl, answer my question."

"Because- be-" Carl was struggling to find the words. 

"You could've killed her," Michonne said. 

"No, I couldn't. I wouldn't," Carl replied.

"Were you playing some sort of game out there? And you," Michonne shifted her gaze to me. "Were you just going to sit there and watch? Did you think that-"

"No," Carl quickly cut in.

"Then why?" Michonne questioned firmly. 

"Because it should be someone who loved her, someone who's family, and I-I'd do it for you. Or for Rori," Carl argued and a look of realization crossed Michonne's face. 

"Come here, you two," she whispered, pulling us into a hug. I dug my head into her shoulder and held on tightly. 

"I've got to get home," I whispered, pulling away. Michonne nodded. 

"Goodnight, sweetheart," she said quietly as I walked away. I rubbed my tired eyes. I walked through the night, my hands stuffed into my pocket. It was becoming a little chilly. I guess that was because it was after eight now. 

"Rori?" I heard a voice behind me and immediately recognized it. 

"Daryl? Rick?" I turned to look at them. 

"Yeah, it's us," Rick said, walking up to me. "Why are you still roaming the streets? Aren't Maggie and Glenn worrying about you?"

"Nah, I told them I was with Carl so they knew I was safe. By the way, I think Carl and Michonne are putting Judith to bed now," I said, and Rick nodded. 

"You should get some sleep too, kid," Daryl said roughly. I sent him a smile. Daryl and I, we've never been very close. Although, after he got shot I was the one to bring him food which helped us bond a little. 

"I know. I'm pretty tired, I was just heading home," I told them. 

"I'll take you home," Daryl offered, but it was more of a statement. I nodded in reply. 

"Night, Rori," Rick said, pulling me in a fast hug before heading in the direction of his house. 

"Night, Rick. You coming, Daryl?" I asked, turning to walk to my house. 

"'Course." We were walking in silence for a bit before Daryl broke it. 

"How often do you go outside the walls?" He asked. I looked at him in shock. 

"How do you know about that?" 

"I've seen you climb them once or twice. You should stop going alone," Daryl advises. I let out a sigh of relief. From the sounds of it, he didn't know Carl and enid would go out there with me sometimes. However, very rarely, I'd go out alone just to get some fresh air away from everything. Will went out there with me once, but that was it. 

"I'm fine out there, 'ya know. You and Rick have taught me most of the stuff I know so you should be pretty confident in me," I laughed slightly. 

"Still shouldn't do it," Daryl said as we reached my porch. The porch light flipped on automatically. 

"Night Daryl," I said to him. 

"Night," Daryl called after me as I walked up the steps. 

"Hey, Rori."

"Yeah?" I turned back around to face him.

"Do it again and I'll have to tell your parents," Daryl threatened me. I looked into his eyes for a moment before relaxing and nodding. 

"Yeah." I opened the front door, which was unlocked. "Mom, Dad?" No reply. Maybe they were asleep, but I doubted it. I pushed the front door shut behind me, slipping off my shoes. Slowly, I made my way up to my room, noting that my parent's door was wide open, meaning they weren't home at the moment.