Chapter 44

We heard the RV start and drive away as we traveled through the dark forest

We heard the RV start and drive away as we traveled through the dark forest. I stabbed a walker in the head that was coming near us, letting it drop to the ground. 

"Aaron, please, just let me walk it," mom begged but even her voice sounded weak. 

"Relax. Just a few more miles," he reassured her. I stayed in front on the left of Rick, Carl on the right. Will and Matt stayed in the back on either side of Abraham. 

"I heard what you told her when we were leaving. We can do anything 'cause we'll do anything we need to do. We have and we will," Carl said, sounding a bit out of breath. "What happened to Denise, I'm not gonna let anybody die like that again."

"Son," Rick trailed off. 

"What?" Carl asked, but Rick never got to finish what he was going to say as a loud whistle rang through the air. Everyone stopped moving, looking around. 

"Go. Go!" Carl and I lead the group through the tears. Adrenaline and fear coursed through my veins as whistles continued. Then a bright light popped on. We were surrounded by men. There was no escape now. Everybody stayed still, unsure what to do when really, there was nothing we could do at this point. Mom was on a bed dying, Eugene was tied up and on his knees, and well, we were trapped. 

"Good. You made it," the leader from the first group stepped into the light. "Welcome to where you're going. We'll take your weapons. Now." He pulled out his gun and pointed it at Eugene's head.  

"We can talk about-"

"We're done talking. Time to listen," the guy interrupted. Men came over to us and patted us down, taking all of our weapons. "Let's get her down and get you all on your knees. Lots to cover." Two men came over and went to grab the makeshift bed. 

"Hold up," Abraham said, stopping the men's actions. "we got it."

"Sure, sure," the leader said and the two backed off. Aaron and Sasha helped lower Mom to the ground before pulling her out. Their arms supported most of her weight as she gently put her to her knees. Eugene was thrown over on his knees beside Will.

"Gonna need you on your knees," the leader said, getting in Rick's face. Rick didn't move for a moment, looking around, and then he slowly lowered himself to the ground. I, however, didn't. 

"Rori, get down," Rick whispered harshly. 

"No," I shook my head, staring the leader right in the eyes. 

"I said, sit down!" the leader pulled his gun out of his holder, aiming it at my head. I didn't move or show any signs of fear. 

"Aurora, sit down," Mom said quietly. I wasn't going to until the leader cocked his gun and aimed it at my head. Then I got on my knees. I was kneeling in between Carl and Matt.

"Let's get the other ones now," the leader said, wiping his nose off again. When nobody moved, he called out, "Dwight!"

"Yeah?" The man I recognized, Dwight, stepped forward.