Chapter 29

I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes, my room was dark

I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes, my room was dark. The only light was from the moon. I looked around from where I sat, my back against my bed. I stood up and walked out of my room. Quietly, I crept down the stairs into the empty hallway. I heard a creak as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Hello?" I called out quietly. I walked into the kitchen, searching for the source of the noise. suddenly, I heard gurgling behind me. I gasped, falling into the cabinet as a walker appeared behind me. With my forearm pressed against its chest, I felt the counter for some sort of weapon.

"No, no, no!" I mumbled as I felt nothing but countertop. "Help!"

"Shh," I heard a faint shush before the walker fell to my feet with a knife in its head. My eyes gazed upon my savior.

"Aunt Beth," I said, tears pooling in my eyes. "B-but you're dead. This is impossible. Wait. Am I-Am I dead?"

"No, you're just dreaming." I let out a breath of relief. I slowly sat down on the kitchen floor, my back against the counter. Aunt Beth came over and sat beside me. I leaned my head on her shoulder.

"You shouldn't say that stuff to your parents," Aunt Beth said. I stayed quiet. "You don't handle grief well."

"No, I don't," I chuckled slightly. The dark kitchen returned to silence. My eyes pooled with tears suddenly. "I miss you so, so much."

"I miss you too. We all do," Aunt Beth said. I looked up at her to see tears filling her eyes, too. I know who she was talking about when she said we all do.

"Why'd you have to die," I cried, flinging my body onto her. She felt so real but I knew she wasn't. Her warm, skinny arms wrapped around me.

"I love you, Rori," Aunt Beth said, her voice shaking. I pulled away to wipe my tears away. "So it finally happened." Aunt Beth had a sad smirk on her face.

"What?"

"You and Carl." Aunt Beth nudged me lightly. I giggled, looking at my hands.

"Yeah, yeah it did," I said.

"You guys make a cute couple," Aunt Beth replied. I smiled to myself. "Theo's adorable, too. Someday you'll make a great mom."

A tear descended down my face before I replied, "Theo's a real trouble maker though." Aunt Beth stared at me, smiling.

"You've grown up a lot. Your face is more defined, your hair is longer, and you're so brave. So, so, so brave," Aunt Beth said. I pushed a strand of my long brown hair behind my ear.

"You look the same, Aunt Beth. Except you don't have blood all over you now," I said, taking a deep breath to stop me from breaking down crying. 

"You'll get over it, Rori. Don't let the pain define you. Let your parents hold you while you cry, don't hold it all in so it can turn to anger," Aunt Beth said, gently stroking my head.