Chapter 57

"Dwight, you got to face reality here," Simon told him loudly

"No, Simon, we keep what's ours, and we don't give up a damn thing. We get out. And I don't want to hear backbiting or pissing or meaning from you two," Dwight pointed at Regina and the other man. "You got a problem with that, come at me. Hm?" When nobody answered, Dwight pointed at Simon. "You can't lead the Saviors out of here, I will."

Simon sighed, standing tall as he walked over to Dwight.  I cringed away from him as he leaned between Dwight and I, getting up in Dwight's face. I jumped slightly when he patted Dwight's shoulder multiple times. "Yes, my boy. Yes! And, we're gonna find that subhuman coward that did this to us, and we're gonna kill him very slowly in front of everybody here over the course of a few very long days." The room was silent, tense before Simon leaned away. "Good meeting, people. Now let's make today the best today it can be." 

-------------------

The next day, we were back at the long table. Annoyed, I sat in my previous spot with my arms folded over my chest and an angry look rested on my face. "Now, we were due for a delivery today from my place. Spotters haven't seen anything. Yeah, the transport truck would've turned around, seeing the state of things, but nothing's come up any of the roads. Chem outpost doesn't miss deliveries. Something happened," Long face said.

"Probably dead. Rick more than likely got to them," I said with a sly grin. 

"Shut the hell up! Our outpost are getting hit while-" Long face didn't get to finish his sentence before the door was opened and in came a blonde-haired girl with a white tank top. She was breathing heavily as she entered, slamming the door behind her.

"What is it?" Simon asked her.

"They're coming up the stairs," Blondie said.

"Walker?" Eugene asked, and blondie shook her head, leaning on the table.

"The workers," she snapped. "They said we'd have to shoot them." Just as blondie had said, we could hear muffled voices from outside the door. Simon sighed, stood up, and exited the room.

"Workers are designated to stay on the ground level," I heard Simon say, and I followed everyone out the door. The hallway was crowded with people. "Specifically, their activity is constrained to the factory floor and the outdoor gardens."

"It's too hot down there," One man protested. "And we sure as hell ain't going outside. When you gonna fix the power?"

"It doesn't need fixing," Simon shook his head. "We're conserving fuel.  Mm? It's a shared sacrifice."

"Oh. you're sharing now," The man chuckled darkly. 

"Ohh. That sort of tone is not gonna work for me," Simon said, preparing to lunge at the guy but Dwight caught him, stepping between the two. 

"Hey, everyone, everyone! Look, we're gonna get through this. Okay? We just need some more time," Dwight explained, his voice echoing through the crowded hallway.