Chapter 42

We hit the road almost immediately after Rick reached mom

We hit the road almost immediately after Rick reached mom. He opted to go to Tophill in case anything was wrong with the baby. Oh, and by we, I mean me, Matt, Will, Rick, Carl, Abraham, Sasha, and a few other people. I made sure to sit in the back with Mom, who laid in the bed. I could tell each bump in the road had a pain shooting through Mom. She looked weak and sick. "Hey, Rori, can I talk to your mom?"

"Sure Rick," I said, standing up and walking out of the room. I shared one look with Carl before my face crumbled. My chest hurt as I silently cried, choking down my own sobs. 

"Oh, come here, Rora," Carl whispered as he watched tears flow down my eyes. I walked into his welcoming arms. I hooked my arms under his armpits as I cried into his chest.I took deep breaths as I tried to not let mom hear my cries. 

"What the bitch?" I heard Abraham exclaim and I pulled away from Carl, wiping my eyes. I looked out the windshield as silent tears poured down my cheeks. Abraham slowed the RV down. 

"What?" Rick asked, gently touching my shoulder as he shimmied past me. 

"Enemy close," Abraham replied. We all stared out the windshield, unsure what to do. "We doing this?"

"No," Rick said before walking past me out of the RV door. Eugene and Aaron followed, with Carl and I close behind. As well as everyone else. Well, besides mom. Rick raised his hands in the air to show he wasn't a threat. I'm not sure it worked very well, though, seeing as he had a gun in his right hand. 

"He's someone who was with a whole lot of someone who didn't listen," One of the guys standing in front of the cars blocking the road said. There was also a dead body on the ground. 

"We can make a deal. Right here, right now," Rick tried to bargain. 

"That's right, we can. Give us all your stuff. We'll probably have to kill one of you. That's just the way it is, but then we can start moving forward on business. All you have to do is listen," the same guy, seeming to be the leader, said. 

Rick stayed silent for a moment before lowering his hands. "Yeah. That deal's not gonna work for us. Fact is, I was about to ask for all of your stuff, only I'm thinking I don't have to kill any of you. Any more of you." the guy standing slightly behind the leader shook a can of spray paint, spray painting the dead body. 

"Sorry, my deal is the only deal. We don't negotiate," the leader said. Rick held up his hand, moving one finger back and then forward. We all took that as a hint to get back in the RV.

"Me and my people are leaving," Rick told them, slowly walking backward. 

"Okay, friend. Plenty of ways to get to where you're going," the leader said and we all piled back into the RV. Rick, however, paused at the doorway. 

"You want to make this your last day on earth?" Rick asked. 

"No, but that is a good thing to bring up. Think about it. What if it's the last day on Earth for you? For someone you love. What if that's true? Maybe you should be extra nice to those people in the Rv, cause you never know. Just like that. Be kind to each other. Like you said, like it was your last day on earth." I couldn't help but believe him. I mean, we didn't know what was wrong with mom. I shook my head, wishing the thought to vanish. They were just trying to get in our heads and I wasn't going to let it happen.