Chapter 60

If I had the choice to go back, I'd do things differently

If I had the choice to go back, I'd do things differently. I wouldn't;t have let Negan take me. I would've taken Matt's place, but instead, I was saying goodbye to him. Telling him I'd see him again someday. I wanted to blame Siddiq so badly, but in the end, all I blamed was myself. I hated that I'd been responsible for the death of both Damaris brothers. 

"Rori quit blaming yourself," Matt's voice cut in through my thoughts, drawing my attention to him. 

"I'm not," I told him, my voice raw.

"Bullshit, you still haven't mourned your dad's death," Matt choked out. I stared at him for a moment knowing he was right. "Your eyes are red."

"Yeah what do you expect? You were almost my brother-in-law. I love you just like one,' I said, my brown orbs focused on his sweaty face.

"And I love you like one but after I'm gone, you can't push your feelings away. You can't blame yourself," Matt said, gently taking my shaking hand. 

"Matt?" Theo's quiet voice drew both our attention.

"Yeah, buddy?" Matt asked, looking down at him from the stretcher he laid on.

"When will you come back? Sometime soon, right?" Theo asked curiously. Matt stared at him, sucking his lips inward as he tried not to cry.

"Theo, buddy, I'm not- I'm not coming back for a while. The next time you see me it'll be you visiting me, and hopefully, that's a long time from now," Matt explained quietly.

"How longs a while?" Theo questioned.

"A long time as in forever. See, you remember how I told you my Dad had passed? It'll be forever before he comes back," I said, reaching over to brush the hair from Theo's eyes. 

"He's going to die?" Theo asked, his voice beginning to shake.

"Yeah, buddy. I'm going to visit Will for a while," Matt said. 

"Will you take me with you, please? I want to see Will again," Theo begged. 

"No, buddy. It doesn't work like that," Matt said, his voice raw.

"Oh," Theo mumbled as the explosions came to an end. I stared at Matt with teary eyes and brought Theo closer to my side. Judith began to cry as Daryl held her closer to him. 

I glanced up as Daryl began to speak. "These people. You and Carl saved them all. That's all you two."

"Thanks," Matt said with a small smile as Daryl walked away with Judith in his arms. I shifted slightly as Siddiq came to sit beside me.

"You were helping me honor my mom," Siddiq said, his voice shaky.

"It wasn't just yours," Carl chimed in from his spot beside me. "Mine, too."

"And my sister, Niki," Matt said. "I lost her shortly before I came here."

"You brought me here. You gave me a chance. I know I can never repay you guys, but I can honor you by showing your people, your f-friends, your family, that what you did wasn't for nothing. That it mattered. That it meant something because it did. So that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna honor you, Matt," Siddiq said.