Chapter 52

The next morning was spent preparing

The next morning was spent preparing. Another large community came, which Rick had told me was Jadis's group. I will admit, they had the numbers. Matt left to get Theo to Hilltop by the time the sun was high in the sky, and I was glad. They were both safe. Guns were passed out and loaded, bombs were set in place, and everyone felt prepared. Carl and I stood on the guard towers towards the top of the gate with many others around us. We were ready for war, and we were going to win this. I had no doubt about it. I had my throwing knives strapped tightly around my thigh.

"Ready to go?" Rick asked, coming up to Carl and I. We were preparing to climb up and meet everyone on the guard post, towards the top of the fence. 

"No, but we don't have a choice," I said, locking my gaze on Rick.

"You sure you want to go up there? I mean, you can always stay on the ground," Rick told me.

"Rick, I already told you, my hip is fine," I said with a small smile.

"I know. I know. I just don't want you in pain," Rick said gently. 

"If it hurts too much before they get here, I'll come down. I promise," I said, earning a nod from him. 

"You two be careful," Rick said as we climbed the wooden ladder. Carl first, then me. We already had a small group up there, and we crammed ourselves in the front, ducking enough to be out of sight. Rick climbed up on the other post, the one with a fence behind it. It wasn't attached to our piece of wood, and a large tree separated the two. Jadis was already up there, crouched down. 

"Rosita. Get into position. I'll signal you," Rick called down. "And the wall's gonna hold?"

"It'll hold," I heard Rosita reply. 

"Carl, be careful out there," I said, turning my head to look at him. He gently pecked my lips.

"You two. If things go wrong, don't wait for me. Get the hell out of here," Carl said.

"Only if you do the same," I replied. I heard the vehicles approaching before I saw them, dust flying around them. 

"All points are covered. Every contingency is already met, I come armed with two barrels of the truth. A test it upon you, and I'm giving out a cheat sheet," Eugene's voice came over a speaker as the cars came to an abrupt stop in front of us. That jerk had betrayed us. He was perched on the back of a truck. One that was often seen at construction sites with beams and wood on the back of its flat surface. "H-hello"

"That little bitch," I mumbled to Carl. I wasn't sure if he heard me, seeing as he didn't reply.

"I come salves with the hope that it is my dropped knowledge that you heed. Options are zero to none. Compliance and fealty are your only escape. Bottom-lining it, you may thrive, or you may die. I sincerely wish for the former. For everyone's sake. The jig is up and in full effect. Will you comply, Rick?" Eugene asked through the small megaphone.

Rick gave him the famous head tilt before asking, "Where's Negan?"

"I'm Negan," Eugene answered after a moment of silence. I looked over at Rick, watching him give the signal to Rosita. Rick fell to his knees. Something had gone wrong. No bomb exploded. Guns cocking behind us drew my immediate attention. I angrily looked ahead of us. Second betrayal of the night. I shared a glance with Carl and our gates were pulled open from the outside. Nobody dared to move. Not Rick, not me, not Carl. As Negan approached our gates, Rick stood up with Jadis's gun aimed at his head.

"You ever hear the one about the stupid little prick named Rick who thought he knew shit but didn't know shit and got everyone he that he gave a hit about killed? It's about you. You're all gonna wanna put your guns down now" Negan's voice came from the other side of the gates. Our open gates. 

"No one drops anything," Rick said before mumbling something I couldn't hear to Jadis. God, I could only imagine Negan's cocky smirk right now.

"Tamiel came for the boat things. Followed ones who took. Made a better deal," Jadis replied calmly. 

"You push me, and you push me. And you push me, Rick. You just tried to blow us up, right? I mean, I get me, my people. But Eugene? He's one of yours. And after what he did, he stepped up. You people are animals. Universe gives you a sign, and you just shove your finger right up its ass," Negan chuckled, and I wanted to punch that sly smirk that I knew was on his face. "Dwight, Simon, chop-chop." I heard movement of people climbing onto metal, and then some rustling. due to my position crouched down, I couldn't see what was actually happening. 

"So, you don't like Eugene anymore. You guys gotta like Sasha. I do, too," Negan said. Oh god, did he bring Sasha here? Maybe that was for the better, but if we didn't win this it wouldn't matter. "Got her right here packaged for your convenience, alive and well. Now, I brought her so I wouldn't have to kill all of you." Carl slowly rose to his feet. I followed his actions seeing as nobody protested it. "And not killing all of you could get complicated. See, I know there's a lot of firepower left in there, Rick. So I'm gonna make this simple. I want all the guns you've managed to scrape up. Yep, I know about those, too. I want every last grain of lemonade you got left. I want a person of your own choosing for Lucille. Daryl. Oh, I gotta get me my Daryl back. I see you. And the pool table, and all the pool cues and chalk. And I want it now or Sasha dies, and then all of you. Probably. C'mon, Rick. Just because I brought her in a casket doesn't mean she has to leave in it. You know what? You suck ass, Rick. You really do. I don't want to have to kill her, but that's exactly what you're gonna make me do."

"Let me see her," Rick ordered. Negan stared at him before laughing. 

"Ror." I barely heard Carl's voice, but I felt his foot hit my own. My eyes darted to his, searching them. His chocolate brown eyes flickered from my face to my gun. I knew what he was asking. What he wanted to do. I nodded to show him I had his back.

"All right. Just give me a second. I might have to get her up to speed. You can't hear shit inside this thing," Negan said, knocking on the casket with his bat. "Sash. You're not gonna believe this crap." Negan pulled the casket open, and something stumbled out. Sasha did, but she was dead. Just a walker now. Carl kicked my foot again, before turning around and shooting the guys behind us. I did the same, my bullet piercing through the guy's skull. All hell had broken free, and gunshots rang through the air

"Stay here, Carl," I shouted at him as he got down on his knees and began to shoot at Negan's people. I quickly fell onto my hands and knees, crawling on the panels that separated ours and Rick's platform. "Get the hell away from him." I put my gun to Jadis's head. She made no movement of fear.

"Get that gun off my head or I shoot," Jadis replied smoothly. I didn't move.

"Please, we can make another deal," Rick told her. She didn't answer but shot Rick in the hip. He cried out, falling to his knees. Spinning on her feet, she kicked my stomach. I stumbled back, making sure to keep a firm grip on my gun as I fell into the tree behind me. I watched Rick fall from the guard towers, too.