Chapter 53

Despite the ache in my back, I stumbled to my feet and ran towards Rick

Despite the ache in my back, I stumbled to my feet and ran towards Rick. I flung his arm over my shoulder, yanking him to his feet as fast as I could. "Come on. We've got to go," I told him. I looked back up, searching for Carl but he was already gone. 

"Don't move," a gun pressed into my back had me frozen. I recognized the voice as Jadis. "Walk. Now." When I didn't move she spoke again, poking Rick's injured side. "Move."

"Okay, okay," I snapped, pulling Rick through the dangerous streets. Gunfire was slowly dying down, and I watched as our people were either killed or brought to their knees by the Saviors. Rounding a corner, Jadis led us to an open area. Carl was there on his knees, men surrounding him. 

"Hello again," Negan came into my view and I scowled at him. he swung his bat over his leather-covered shoulder. 

"Down. Girl in the middle," Jadis ordered, pushing us on the knees. I helped Rick onto his knees before falling to my own. 

"Well, shit, Rick. You just couldn't stick with us, huh? You had to go with these filthy garbage people?" Negan asked before adding. "No offense."

"Who would want to stay with your sick, cruel, ass," I spat, looking up at him with angry eyes. I didn't feel sadness or remorse at this particular moment. Just pure anger.

"Darling, I like you, but you need to watch your mouth," Negan told me, his glare burning into my skin like fire.

"Deal is for twelve, yes?" Jadis cut in. 

"Ten," Negan replied. "People are a resource."

"Twelve." Negan stared at her oddly calm face and she eventually gave in with a nod. "Ten."

"Ah, Rick. This is just gonna make you sad. Broken," Negan walked behind the three of us, and I slowly moved my hand towards my boot. I had my spare knife hidden there, and maybe, just maybe, I could be the one to kill Negan. Steadily and carefully, I slowly removed the knife. "You're gonna wish you were dead. I like having fun. I do. But maybe you think that the guy that did what he did to your friends wasn't me like that was some sort of a put-on like I'm not the guy with the bat. I'm just the guy that makes your kid spaghetti. Oh. Oh shit. Maybe this is on me. Maybe this is all on me. I gotta make it right."

"You like killing people, yeah?" I interrupted, looking up at Negan. He paused, coming to stand in front of me.

"Only sometimes, but in this case, I guess I gotta start all over again. I gotta tell you, Rick, if I had a kid, I'd want him to be just like your kid, which makes this so much harder," Negan told him.

"You're not gonna win," Carl angrily said to Negan. 

"Carl. It is over. Why don't you point your one ball up the street there and take it all in?" Negan suggested.

"But it's not. We won't let you win. Not this time," I said. Negan smiled at me.

"You're a cute girl, Rori. Surely you're not dumb enough to still believe you can win this," Negan said, and a scream rang through the air. We three on our knees paused, mouths falling open. It was a scream we all recognized. Michonne's. 

"Oh. Ohh. Wow. you just lost somebody important to you," Negan bent down to be at eye level with Rick. "Right now. Like, just now. Jesus. That is timing. Well, Rick, you chose this. I truly don't know what more I could've done to warn you. And this isn't a warning. This is punishment. I'm gonna kill Carl now. I'm gonna make it one nice, hard swing, try to do it in one because I like him. And then I'll take Rori. Protect her, make her my little girl. I just want you to put that in your brain, and roll it around for a minute. I'm gonna kill Carl, and then Lucille here, she's gonna take your hands. And then Rori's going to come with me while you slowly die."

"You can do it right in front of me. You can take my hands. I told you already, I'm gonna kill you. All of you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but nothing is gonna change that. nothing. You're all already dead," Rick spoke firmly in Negna's face. Negan, however, didn't flinch.

"You're a sick bastard," I spoke up, tears forming in my eyes but I bit my lip to stop myself from crying. "Which is why I won't feel bad when I do this." I leaped up, swinging my open knife at Negan. He stumbled back, but remained standing and caught my wrist, laughing. 

"Darling, I'm a lot bigger than you. You really think that was going to work?" Negan asked me. 

"No, I didn't," I shook my head before kneeing him in the crotch. He doubled over, and I moved to slice his neck but a sharp pain in my shoulder had me dropping the knife. I reached down to grab the knife, but Negan's hands around my forearms stopped me.

"Listen here, Aurora. You're going to get down on your knees again or that bullet in your shoulder, it's going to be the least of your problems," Negan threatened. 

"No."

"No," Negan glared at me before beginning to laugh. "No? You're not really in a position to argue. Well, damn, I was really hoping I could take you in as my own, but I guess not. Now I have to kill you," Negan pushed me onto the ground and I hissed in pain. He raised his bat but it never landed on me. Roars and screams echoed through the air. Holy crap. A fucking tiger had just saved my life. Negan instantly retreated as gunshots were fired.  

"End the Saviors and their accompanies. Alexandria will not fall on these days!" I looked up as a fierce voice was heard over the gunshots. From what Carl told me, it was the king.

"Up. Let's go!" Negan's sharp tone cut into my thought.

"huh. Wha- no!" Instantly, I was fighting him but he was bigger than me. And stronger. He hoisted me over his shoulder without hesitation. My hands pounded on his back as he ran with me over his shoulder until we were outside the gate. Then, he gently set me down on my feet, pointing his bat at me. 

"Get in the car. Now," Negan ordered. My mind told me to run, to get away from him but my body betrayed me and I climbed into the truck unwillingly.