Chapter 49

"No! No way in hell

"No! No way in hell. That was not the deal. You people swore you could take the Saviors out, and you failed. So any arrangement we had is now done. Null and void. We aren't trading partners, we aren't friends, and we never met. Hm? We don't know each other," Gregory snapped after hearing what Rick had to say. He fell back into his chair, gazing up at Rick. "I owe you nothing. In fact, you owe me for taking in the refugees, at great personal risk."

"Oh, you were very brave staying in here while Maggie, Rori, and Sasha saved this place. Your courage was inspiring," Jesus said sarcastically.

"Hey, don't you work for me? Aren't we friends," Gregory asked as he stared at Jesus.

"Gregory, we already started this-"

"You start it," Gregory interrupted Rick.

"We did. And we're gonna win," Rick said firmly.

"These are killers," Gregory said.

"Is this how you want to live? Under their thumb, killing your people?" Rick asked, trying to reason. 

"Sometimes we don't get to choose what our life looks like. Sometimes, Ricky, you have to count the blessing you have," Gregory said, and mentally I rolled my eyes. What blessing? Oh, the blessing where the saviors kill everyone we love? Yeah, no thanks.

"How many people can we spare? How many people here can fight?" Mom asked, stepping forward.

"We?" Gregory scoffed. "I don't even know how many people we have, Margaret. And does it even matter? I mean, w-what are you gonna do? Start a platoon of sorghum farmers? 'Cause, that's what we got. They grow things. They're not gonna want to fight."

"You're wrong. When people have the chance to do the right thing, they usually step up. I mean, people just-"

"Let me stop you before you break into song, okay?" Gregory put his hand up to silence Tara. "And, by the way, who would train all this cannon fodder?"

"I will."

"Give me a week," Rosita and Sasha said at the same time.

"Rhetorical, okay? I don't want to know. I never want to hear another word about any of it, ever," Gregory said. God, this dude really was a prick.

"Would we be better off without the Saviors, yes or no?" Rick asked loudly, to which Gregory rolled his eyes.

"Yeah. Sure. Okay."

"So, what will you do the fix the problem?" Michonne asked.

"I didn't say we had a problem. You did. And what happens outside of my purview is outside of my purview," Gregory replied.

"What the hell, man? You're either with us or you ain't. You're sitting over there talking out of both sides of your mouth," Daryl snapped. Gregory stood up, adjusting his sleeve.