Chapter 30

I gasp happily, staring at the baby girl in my arms

I gasp happily, staring at the baby girl in my arms. "You're so cute. Yes, you are!" I gently boop her nose. She gives me a grin full of gums. 

"Rori! Rori!" Little arms crashed around my legs. I placed my hand on the little boy's hair. 

"Hey, Theo!" I smiled. 

"Hey, Rora. This little boy is getting hungry," Carl said, coming down the stairs. I laughed.

"How 'bout a grilled cheese then?" I asked. Theo lifted his hazel eyes to meet me. 

"Yeah, grilled cheese is awesome!" Theo cheered, jumping up and down full of giddy excitement. 

"Alright," I said.

"I'll put some T.V on for the kids," Carl said, gently kissing my cheek. He took Judith from my arms and took Theo's hand.

"Okay," I agreed and walked into the kitchen.  I reached down into the cupboard by the stove and grabbed a pan. I pushed the cupboard door shut. I gently set the pan on the burner before turning it on. The flames burst to life under the pan and continued to heat it up. The bread was sitting on the counter, thankfully. I grabbed a plate and set the two pieces of bread on it. I got out a knife, shoving the drawer shut. I yanked the fridge open and grabbed the butter and a slice of cheese. The butter was cold, but it still smeared across the bread smoothly. I placed one slice of bread on the pan, the side with the button on the bottom. Unwrapping the cheese, I gently set it on the bread before placing the other piece of bread on top.

"Hey, Rick," I said as he walked beside me.

"Hey," Rick greeted, looking ahead of him as he walked. His face was still full of bandages from the fight that occurred a few days ago. There was some stubble growing on his face, like when I first met him. 

"You getting ready to leave?" I asked, glancing over at him.

"Yeah. Hey, Rori." Rick stopped walking and turned to face me. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, seeing the look on Rick's face.

"This is dangerous," Rick said.

"I know. Hundreds, thousands of walkers following you, that's insanely risky," I sighed, running my hands through my hair. 

"I need you to promise me something," Rick said.

"Of course. What is it?" I asked. Rick placed his hand on my shoulder, staring at me.

"If something goes south... if I don't make it back-"

"Don't say that," I cut him off.

"You're strong, Rori. If something happens, I want you to run. Convince Carl to go with you and just run," Rick said. I immediately shook my head.