Chapter 55

"Who made the lemonade?" I asked again as soon as the doctor was out of the room

"Me, of course," Negan smirked, handing me a full cup. I took it, staring at it. I wasn't sure if it was poisoned, so I didn't drink. "Really? You think I'd poison it? I need you, Aurora. I need you to get to Rick."

"I never know what you'll do. You're a psychopath," I said. Negan sighed, walking over to me. I eyed him wearily.

"I am not. Just because I killed your pops doesn't mean I'm a psychopath. Here. Hand it over." I did as I was told, placing the cup in his hand. He took a small sip of it. "See? Nothing."

"Fine, if you're not a psychopath then you're a cold-blooded killer," I said, taking it back.

"Maybe. Or maybe you just don't know what I've been through. By the way, you might want to start eating your meals. We got a long journey ahead of us," Negan told me.

"Long journey?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yep. You, sunshine, are coming to Alexandria with me. I think it's about time I pay little ol' Ricky a visit," Negan said. He held the tip of his bat against the ground as he leaned back on the dresser once more.

"You really think that's a good idea? After we kicked your ass," I asked with a small smirk. 

"Did you though? I still have you, and an eye, unlike someone you know," Negan chuckled, and I gritted my teeth to stop myself from saying anything I'd regret. "Besides, Rick won't try anything while I have you in my arms. Despite how much I like you, I'll still slice your neck open."

"Real scary," I scoffed.

"You should be scared. I've got people all over pissing their pants, begging me not to kill them. You wanna know something?" Negan asked, his eyes resting on my tired face. I could only imagine how my hair looked. Even when I was brushing it with my fingers I could feel the knots.

"What?"

"I killed most of them as I did to your pops. And if you're not careful enough, I'll do it to you, too," Negan said, but it was more of a warning.

"Oh, fuck you," I rolled my eyes.

"I'd watch your mouth. Don't forget who's in control here, darling," Negan replied, his grin never leaving his face.

"You may be in control, but I will win. Rick will win. It doesn't matter what you do. We've already one," I spat angrily.

"That's what you think, darling."

"It's what I know," I shrugged.

"Yeah, well, I got some tricks up my sleeve. I'm scared of little 'ol Rick," Negan said. "And as of right now, I've got the upper hand. Ezekiel might not care, but I know for a fact Rick and Maggie do. Hell, you basically Rick's biological, child."

"So what? This is the apocalypse. Nothing last forever," I said and I actually meant it. It was one of the life lessons I learned. Nothing lasts forever. 

"Maybe. But I know Carl would do anything for you, too. Not to mention Matt and little Theo. Man, he was one adorable kid," Negan chuckled. I tensed, staring up at him. 

"Don't talk about Theo," I said but Negan kept on talking. 

"Poor kid thought I was a real good guy. Told me all about your grilled cheeses. Said they were the best ones out there. Darling, you're going to have to make me one."

"I'm not making you anything," I spat. Negan cocked an eyebrow out me, gazing out my small window. 

"You'll come around," he shrugged. "Or you'll die."

"Guess you better kill me than," I said like it was no big deal. Negan's eyes flickered over to me. 

"I don't want to kill you. I want you to stand by my side. Be my little partner," Negan explained, causing me to scoff once more. 

I took a much-needed deep breath before speaking. "Wow, you can make anything pervy."

"I'm not a pervert, Rori. I'm just winning the game," Negan said.

"Game?"

"Rick is going to die alongside everyone else," Negan told me. I shifted on the bed, taking a small sip of my lemonade. A cautious sip.  

"Actually, I think you're going to be the one dying. Rick will come for me. He'll come to kill you," I said, gently placing my cup on the nightstand.

"Not if I get to him first," Negan shot back, moving to leave the room.

"What about the tiger?"

"Huh?" He turned back to face me, a confused look on his face.

"Ezekiel's tiger. What are you going to do about that?" I asked, looking at him with a cocky smile. 

"I'll kill it. Then I'll eat it." Negan said it like it was the easiest answer ever. I laughed at him. At his stupidity. 

"She will kill you first," I said to him. 

"Not if I catch them off guard. Use you to distract while another guy gets around to shoot the Tiger. Now, If you'll excuse me, I've got a meeting to get to," Negan said.

"Wait, Negan. One more thing," I called out. 

"Yes?" 

"What did you mean by 'Maybe you just don't know what I've been through,'" I questioned. Now it was my turn to give him a confused look. 

Negan sighed, leaning against the doorframe. "To you, I'm probably just the guy who killed your dad but I've got a background, too. Things have happened to me, Aurora. Bad things. I didn't just wake up one day and decide I wanted to kill people. Well, I kinda did. But, the point is, I have a history just like you."

"What happened?" I questioned. 

"My wife died," Negan answered simply. 

"So, that's what made you decide to kill people? My dad died and I'm not running around killing people," I said, my eyebrows furrowing. 

"She was alive at the beginning of this whole mess. She had cancer," Negan explained. Suddenly, I felt a bit bad. Just a tiny bit. 

"Oh. I'm sorry, I guess. You can get to your meeting. I'll stop asking questions," I said. Negan nodded.

"See you later, darling."