Chapter 48

We had waited for the saviors to leave before going back to the trailer for lunch

We had waited for the saviors to leave before going back to the trailer for lunch. Enid had shown up not too long ago, and the two of us made dinner. "People told me you killed walkers and a car with a tractor." I placed down the bowls on the table while Enid put the food on it. Today it was grilled cheese with tomato soup.

"I couldn't sit by and watch. Not again. So I guess I sat and did something," Mom explained. 

"You're supposed to take it easy."

"That's what I said," I smiled at Enid. 

"It wasn't hard. It wasn't the first time," Mom said, scooping some of the tomato soup into her bowl. Enid and I gave her a confused look. "There was this boy in high school before I met dad."

"You ran over the boy?" Enid asked in shock.

"His car," Mom nodded.

"That's so cool," I laughed. 

"It was a Camaro. And then it wasn't," Mom said with a smile right as Sasha entered the trailer.

"Enid," Sasha said in surprise. 

"Hi. I-I came to help," Enid told her.

"You came by yourself?" Sasha asked.

"Yeah. Have some dinner. Rori and I made it," Enid said. Sasha walked over and sat at the table.

"Why are there balloons on Abraham's grave?" Sasha asked as she sat down. I took a large bite of my grilled cheese. Enid's mouth fell open as she looked over at mom.

"I didn't have the heart to tell you. Glenn would've. He was a bad liar." I looked down at the mention of Dad's name.

"Sorry," Enid said to Sasha. 

"There's no need to be sorry. Nothing wrong with balloons," Sasha said with a small smile.

"There's nothing marking the graves."

"Nope. I was gonna use this for Glenn's. it was my dad's. he gave it to him," Mom explained, Dad's watch in her hand. "But I'm giving it to you, Rori." I held the watch in my hands. It was slightly heavy. I stared at it, my heart aching. 

"Actually, I think Enid should have it. I mean, I have a poloriod picture of him and I and his baseball cap." I said, handing it over to Enid. The four of us held hands, smiling, before looking down and closing our eyes.

"For this new morning, with its light, For rest and shelter of the night,  for health and food, for love and friends, for everything that goodness sends. Amen," Mom spoke softly. This was something that her, dad, and I used to do at dinner. 

"Amen," Sasha, Enid, and I spoke at the same time. After a moment, we broke apart and dug into our food. After dinner, I took Enid outside to discuss some things.  

"So, I, Uhm, I wanted to talk about Matt. How's he doing?" I asked her, sitting on the small wooden steps outside the trailer door. 

"Alright, I think. He broke the news to Theo a few days ago and he didn't take it very well. He asked where you were, too," Enid explained quietly.