Chapter 20

===========================♛===========================

Walk. Kill a walker. Sweat. Rest. That was the constant cycle I had to endure. We barely had any food or water. Right now we had stopped to have a small funeral for Aunt Beth and Tyreese. Most people (especially me and Mom) were crying.

"We look not at what can be seen, but we look at what cannot be seen. For what can be seen is temporary but what cannot be seen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

I leaned into Carl, a mixture of tears and sweat pouring down my face. Judith cooed lightly. Sometimes, it almost felt like she was trying to comfort you when she cooed.

---------

     Rick had decided we were going to Noah's hometown. Aunt Beth wanted to get Noah there and it only felt right to fulfill her wishes. So, now we were stuck in a car. Rick, Dad, Michonne, Noah, and Tyreese had gone ahead and gone to Noah's hometown. Turns out it wasn't safe either. Nothing seemed to be safe anymore. Tyreese didn't make it either. Anymore, it seemed like nobody survived.

---------

"We look not at what can be seen, but we look at what cannot be seen. For what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made from hands, eternal in the heavens. In the heavens."

Gabriel closed his bible and Sasha sprinkled some dirt over the dead bodies before dropping the shovel. Rick walked over to the shovel and began filling the hole we had dug. It was official. They were gone.

---------

It's been a struggle. Mom was extremely upset about Aunt Beth. She was like a walking zombie herself. Always wanted to be alone. Barely eating. She was always so strong. It hurt me to see her like this. It hurt to see our group like this. Digging in the dirt for worms. We were all starving. 

I looked over at Carl as he sat down next to me. Carl reached over and grabbed my hand in his. I smiled slightly, leaning my head on his shoulder. I look up ahead on the road and saw Mom, Sasha, and Daryl approaching. It was a matter of time before our corpses rotted away. We were zombies but not the kind that eats people.

---------

The engine of our white van slowly sputtered before the van came to a stop.

"We're out. Just like the other," Abraham sighed.

"So we walk," Rick replied, opening the passenger door and stepping out into the hot air. The rest of us followed. I didn't know if I'd rather be crammed in a hot bus or walking in the hot air. I stayed walking next to Carl, holding his hand tightly.