Chapter 31

"Are all the doors locked?" I asked Carl when I returned

"Are all the doors locked?" I asked Carl when I returned. He had a gun in his hand. 

"Yeah, I tripled checked that they were all locked," Carl replied, handing me a pistol. I took it gratefully. Our heads turned at the sound of a lock. It sounded like someone was trying to open it. Carl quickly raised his gun and soundlessly walked towards the backdoor. He made a hand motion that I knew meant "follow me." 

Carl peered around the kitchen wall, staring at the back door. 

"Stay here," Carl whispered to me before sprinting across the opening to the other wall. He nodded at me and we both raised our guns at the door, fearing the worst. The door opened quietly, the bright sun blazing in through the open door. I let out a sigh of relief and lowered my gun at the sigh of Enid.

"Hi?" She said, staring at us.

"Why didn't you just knock?" Carl asked, quickly closing the door. 

"I'm glad you're safe," I said, hugging her. She awkwardly pat my back.

"I have these. Didn't want them to have them," Enid replied, holding up a keychain full of keys. She handed them to Carl and the three of us walked back into the kitchen. "And I wanted to say goodbye."

"Goodbye?" I repeated.

"Okay, watch the backdoor and tell me if you see anyone coming," Carl said. 

"I'm not staying," Enid said harshly. 

"And I'm not letting you leave," I said.

"Enid, sit down. You're helping us protect Judith and Theo. They're not getting inside this house," Carl said, nodding at the ground. Enid pulled out her knife and the three of us sat on the floor in a triangle, our backs pressed against each other. From this view, we could see all the doors and windows. "We're not gonna let them. Did you see them?"

"They're just people," Enid sighed. 

"Dangerous people," I added. 

"This place is too big to protect. There are too many blind spots. That's how we were able to-" 

"They got in the walls, but they're gonna die," Carl interrupted Enid.

"We're not going to let them win. And you are staying here to watch us win," I said firmly. I heard Enid sigh before it became quiet again.

"HONK!"

"What the hell is happening," I said when I heard a horn begin to blare. 

"I don't know. Just stay down," Carl said. 

"We can't just do nothing!" I exclaimed, looking out the windows.

"We are doing something. We're protecting the kids," Carl said.  

"I'm going outside to check," Enid said, standing up. I followed her lead. Carl did, too. Enid glanced at me as she stared at the door. I gave her a gentle smile before reaching over nad grabbing the doorknob.I yanked it open to see Ron running towards us with a man behind him. I gasped, and Carl quickly pushed past me with his gun raised. He shot hte man behind Ron before walking down the steps. 

I pointed my gun at the man that was now on the ground, moving to stand above him.

"Please, please don't kill me," The guy on the ground begged. He had a W mark on his head. His clothes were bloody and dirty, probably from all the people he killed. "Help me please, my leg." Just as Carl started to lower his gun the man grabbed his leg. Carl struggled to not fall, and out of instinct, I shot the guy in the head. The W man fell to the ground, dead.

"Come inside. I can keep you safe," Carl said, looking at the dead man while breathing heavily. Ron looked like he was debating on what to do.

Suddenly, he said," No."

"Ron," Carl said as Ron shoved past him. 

"Ron! It's not safe out there!" I yelled as I watched him run away.

"Carl, Rori come on!" Enid said. I glanced at her briefly before taking Carl's hand and running back into the house. 

"I'm going to go check on the kids, you two stay here," Carl said. I nodded and let him walk up the stairs. I stared out the window, watching for anyone really. My ears perked up at the sound of paper being ripped. 

"What are you doing?" I asked, turning to look at Enid who was writing on a piece of paper. 

"Leaving," she replied. 

"What, no! I'm not letting you leave," I said, following her towards the front door. 

"Rori, get out of my way," Enid said when I stepped in front of the front door.

"No. I'm not letting you go out there," I said stubbornly. 

"Fine," Enid huffed.

"Really, you're not going to put up a fight?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Nope, I'll just go sit down then," Enid said. 

"Okay, yeah, you do that. I'll be in the kitchen if you need me," I replied. Enid didn't reply, and I took the piece of paper she wrote on. It read, "Just survive somehow" 

I knew this was too easy, I wasn't dumb. I quickly grabbed the marker Enid left on the counter and wrote: "Went after Enid -Rori" underneath what Enid wrote. I heard the front door fly open and I quickly dropped the marker. I ran around the corner, dropping the paper by the front door before pulling it closed behind me. It was a mess out here, dead bodies and blood littered the ground. 

"Enid!" I yelled as I chased after her. 

"Stop following me, Rori," she said and ran towards the gates. Before I had a chance to say anymore, I was knocked to the ground from the side. My gun slid across the ground, and the guy above me punched me. I gasped as I felt the harsh blow land on my eye. 

"Enid, help! Please!" I screamed as the man kept hitting me. I looked at her with pleading eyes. I moved my gaze to his forehead as I attempted to fight back but he was double my size. He had a W on his head just like the other guy.

"Shoot him, please!" I cried to Enid. The W man wrapped his hands around my throat. My eyes began to water at the lack of oxygen. I clawed at his hands. When I felt like I was about to pass out, I kneaded the man where the sun don't shine. 

"Rori!" I looked over at Enid to see her kick my gun towards me. I reached over, my fingers barely reaching it. She made eye contact with me for a second before running off. I turned my attention back to the man who had seemed to have recovered. He drew his machete from its holder and I quickly shot the man. The bullet pierced through his skull and lodged its way into his brain. I carefully stood up, feeling slightly dizzy, before looking over at where Enid once stood. She was long gone now.