Chapter 47

It was nighttime when I woke up next

It was nighttime when I woke up next. I was curled up next to mom in the bed while Sasha took the couch. The three of us scrambled to our feet as we heard music playing. 

"What is that?" Mom asked as Sasha turned on the lamp.

"The gates are open," Sasha said as she looked through the small window on the door to the trailer. "There's fires. The music is coming from a car."

"Is the window locked?" I asked Sasha as I watched her attempt to open the locked door. She tried the window, too, but it wouldn't open. 

"I have to turn that thing off," Mom said, placing a chair on the table.

"Dr. Carson told you so stay off your feet," Sasha reminded her.

"I'll do it," I said, climbing onto the table.

"Rori, No," Mom immediately protested. 

"Sit down and stay here. I'll go with her," Sasha said, unwillingly, Mom sat down. I climbed onto the chair and pulled myself onto the roof. Sasha came up once I told her it was clear.

"Jesus. There's a lot of them," I said as I watched walkers stumbled in the front gates. 

"Come on," Sasha said, walking to the middle of the trailer and jumping down. She caught me as I flung myself over the edge. I followed her as she ran off. "Stay by me."

"Jesus! Sasha and Rori are alone down there, they need help!" I turned at the sound of Mom's voice. She was on the roof of the trailer.

"Damn it, Maggie," Sasha sighed as the two of us jumped into action. I stabbed a walker nearest to me. Mentally, I cursed myself for leaving my knives at home.

"Sasha, get to the car! Jesus and I will hold them off!" I yelled over to her, stabbing another walker. One came up behind me, knocking me to the ground. Jesus quickly covered me, though, and kicked a walker off me. 

"You good?" Jesus asked. I nodded.

"Go help Sasha. I'm good here," I told him. He quickly ran over to Sasha. I stabbed a few more walkers before I heard a vehicle. It was a large tracker and Mom was driving it. As Sasha and Jesus returned to killing walkers with me, Mom ran over the car and the music came to an end.

---------------

"Gregory?" Sasha called out as her, Mom, and I stormed into his office. 

"Ah, I was just telling Ms. Caitlin to bring up some of her famous rhubarb preserves for you three. It's our way of saying thank you for helping out last night," Gregory said with a small smile.

"It's Ms. Maitlin," Jesus corrected with an annoyed tone. 

"You can take them with you when you go. And you should go now because the saviors could get back any minute," Gregory told us, taking a drink of his drink. 

Sasha stared at Mom for a minute before saying," I'll go."

"Sasha-"

"But let her stay," Sasha cut Mom off before she could get another word out.

"I'll go too if that's what it takes," I said. 

"We'll call it even on last night," Sasha added.

'No deal. But it's been lovely having you here," Gregory replied quickly. Sasha stepped closer to him. 

"Just tell me how we can make this work," Sasha almost begged, and Gregory looked her up and down.

"I think we'd need to meet on that one-on-one just to explore-"

"Go the hell," Mom snapped. 

"Mom," I said through my teeth, throwing her a glare. She needed to be here. Dr. Carson could take care of her. 

"Are you actually imply- No. You know what? I'm sorry. I'm gonna tell Ms. Caitlin to keep her preserves," Gregory said as if we cared. I looked over as we heard a vehicle approach and yelling. A truck was flying in through the gates. "You know what they'll do if they find you here? Jesus, get them in the closet." 

"Gregory-"

"Go get in there now. And you don't move, you don't speak, and maybe you'll get out of this alive," Gregory cut her off, gently nudging her towards the closet. Jesus shut the closet door behind us. Through the door, we could hear many footsteps. Now time to wait. 

---------------

By the time the saviors left, Gregory was storming into the room as Jesus let us out of the closet. 

"I told you to hide them in the hallway closet!" He snapped.

"No, you said, "Closet," Jesus said calmly. 

"This is my bedroom. What if they came in here before I-"

"Before you tried to give us up?" Sasha asked with her arms crossed. 

"They would've killed you first," Mom added.

"Honey, I'm talking to Jesus," Gregory said, and Jesus quickly whipped his head around to look back at Gregory.

"Stop."

"Why are you even defending her? We're here right now because and and- and Rich didn't handle things like they said they would," Gregory said.

"It's Rick," I glared at him. 

"The saviors tried to kill you," Jesus argued.

"That was a misunderstanding. And as soon as the Saviors leave, we get them the hell out of here before something bad really happens!" Gregory said. 

"Stop!" Jesus yelled. "They're staying. Or do you want to make it public? You want to make the deal with Alexandria public? Lose your plausible deniability? Lose your position?"

"So you're gonna be in charge now?" Gregory asked with his eyebrows raised. 

"No. It's just that you won't be. Maggie, Sasha, and Rori are staying. I'm staying. We're all gonna be one big happy dysfunctional family," Jesus said firmly. Gregory scoffed, looking between Jesus and the three of us.

"So we will be. And I'll see us through this. I made progress with them today. You saw it," Gregory said.

"That's not what I saw," Jesus shook his head.

"Yeah? Well, it's what happened," Gregory stepped around Jesus and walked closer to us. "We play nice, they play nice. See, dear? Saviors can actually be quite reasonable." Mom didn't hesitate to punch him in the face. Gregory's hand flew up to his face as he held it. Mom reached over and grabbed something out of the inside of his suit pocket. "It's a fine watch. Doesn't need to be left out in the rain." 

"This is our home now. So you'll learn to start to call me by my name. Not Marsha, not dear, not honey. Maggie. Maggie Rhee," Mom said in a dangerously low voice.