Chapter One Hundred and Six: A Quiet Pint

Once the pair had left the pub, the barman turned to us. He looked aggravated and for a moment I thought he was going to ask us to leave for our part in the disturbance.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with those two. I've banned both of them, but they keep coming in. Hopefully, they'll think twice now." He said while letting his bat hang at his side.

"It wasn't your fault... I hope I didn't cause too much of a scene." I replied.

"Nope, I'm just glad that nothing was broken! Honestly those two are such a nuisance, I'm glad you dealt with them like that. I'm sure most of the regulars are too."

The barman waived his hand in the direction of a couple of the nearby tables. The people sat there were murmuring in agreement with him and nodding their heads.

"I'm glad no one got hurt."

"What are you all drinking? This round is on me." The barman said beckoning us to the bar.

"Oh, we couldn't..."

"Nonsense! I was too worried to get involved when they drew blades on you like that, but you dealt with them both. Let me thank you."

"Sure..." I glanced at the girls who just shrugged at me. "Just a beer for me please."

"Okay one beer, and what about you ladies?" He asked turning towards the girls.

"I'll have a beer too please." Replied Serin.

"Same here." Answered Altria.

"I'll have the same as them then." Lillia said.

"Beer for me too please." Replied Siofra.

"Okay, beers all round it is. Please go and take a seat, I'll bring your drinks over in a moment."

The barman hurried back to the bar, while we went and took the table near the window. It was where we had been heading to begin with before we were interrupted.

"Well, that was lucky!" Serin said as we all sat down.

"I know, I thought he was going to throw us all out." I said in response.

"Yes, that could have happened, but you could have seriously hurt someone, or been injured yourself."

"I know, I did hold back..."

"Yes, well you need to be careful. It's frowned upon for an adventurer to fight with a civilian like that. You could have wound up in trouble."

"That guy, he just got to me. His attitude and that look on his face."

"I can understand that, and he did try to hit you first, so it wasn't your fault. But you should be careful."

"I will."

"Thank you for standing up for me Theo." Siofra said squeezing up close next to me. "But you do know I can look after myself?"

"I know, I'm sure if you had dealt with them, they would have ended up in a much worse state."

"Yeah, Theo intervening like that probably saved us all a lot of trouble!" Lillia said agreeing with me.

"Hey, I can control myself." Retorted Siofra.

The group laughed at her for a moment. Then while we were talking the barman returned with our drinks and laid them out on the table for us. I picked up my glass and gulped back a mouthful of the cold beer. Siofra was right, this was exactly what I needed. Despite the bit of hassle when we first walked in, I was glad we had come here.

"If you don't mind me asking, are you all from the capital? I don't think I've ever seen any of you in here before." Asked the barman.

"Well, the four of us were from here originally, but it has been a long time since any of us lived here. Theo on the other hand wasn't." Serin explained to him.