Chapter Twenty: Plans for an Official Quest

On the walk back, Lillia seemed particularly amenable. Perhaps because she was glad of the progress we made. Maybe it was because she had was still feeling apologetic about what had happened earlier with the wolf. Anyway, it seemed like a good time to broach the subject of how and why I was brought here. I had found out a lot from Liz, and I wasn't going to pry too much into what happened with the last summons after finding out the circumstances from Liz. I did think it would be nice to hear it from Lillia. Seeing as she was the person that brought me here perhaps, I could find out a little more.

"Hey Lillia, I wondered if you were willing to tell me a little more about the circumstances of me being brought here? You know it has been a few days now I and I still know so little of while I'm here."

The first response was a pained look, then a brief pause until she finally spoke.

"Look there is a reason why I haven't told you anymore yet." She answered.

"I know, because I had to die to come here and I probably can't go home. The only way for me to gain an existence that is permanent and not bound to my relic is to defeat the demon lord, then remove their heart. You're worried that if you tell me this I might run away, because if I did the guild masters would destroy my relic and then I really would be dead."

"How do you know?" She asked surprised.

"Because I bumped into Liz while you were away outside her shop and when she realised that I knew nothing, she decided to tell me what she knew."

"Then you know about..."

"Yeah, she told me about that too. She thought it was better than you have to relive the experience again at least for now."

"I'm sorry, it was just so soon..."

"It's okay I can understand why you didn't want to tell me. That was an awful thing to have to go through and I also know that you have no choice but to obey the instruction to summon heroes here. I'm not going to run away."

"I see... Then what do you want to know? You already nearly know everything."

"I don't know, is there anything I missed that could be important?"

"Well that's pretty much everything I would tell a new summons. It's actually more than I would have told you myself. We aren't supposed to tell you that the guild can kill you by destroying the relic. It's supposed to only be used if the heroes turn against the guild or the alliance. They wouldn't want any chance of them trying to gain their own relic."

"Should you be telling me that?"

"Probably not." She giggled. "But you do already know about what they did. So, it isn't as if I've told you anything new."

"I suppose not... These relics, do you know where they're held?"

"No, all I know is that they are supposedly somewhere in the capital."

"Would you even tell me if you knew?"

"Maybe, I'm not sure. I guess it would depend on why you wanted to know."

"I don't want to go against the guild, not if they aren't a threat to me, but having something like that hang over my head makes me feel uncomfortable and then there's what happened to my predecessor."

Lillia flinched at my mention of the at the subject.

"They told me I would have the chance to change his mind, but they didn't even give me that. In the end they didn't want a hero that wasn't completely committed to the guild. If they even found out that you knew the truth about the relics, chances are they would kill you too."