Chapter One Hundred and Fourteen: A Meeting at the Guild

We were up early the next morning. Our appointment with the guild master was scheduled for shortly after breakfast. We took a quick trip down to the square in front of the guild and visited one of the stalls to eat, before heading back. It was already approaching the time for our meeting when we returned, so we headed straight to the main desk and got in line.

The guild was just as busy as usual and there was quite the queue just to get to the front desk. After several minutes of waiting, we were finally seen. We were met by the same receptionist as when we had first arrived.

"Oh, your hi... Erm, Lillia. Good morning. How can I help you today?" She asked as we reached the desk.

"Good morning. We have an appointment with the guild master. Are they expecting us?" Asked Lillia.

"Hold on one second, let me just check. It's been so busy this morning I haven't had a chance to look over the handover notes." She said flipping through the pages of a notebook in front of her.

"Sure, take your time."

The receptionist hurriedly flipped through the pages, stopping when she got to today's notes.

"Yes, she's expecting to see all of you any moment now. Please follow me." She said flipping up a section of the desk to let us through.

"Thanks." Replied Lillia. "Come on everyone, this way." She said turning back to the rest of us.

The receptionist waited while we all walked in behind the front desk, before closing it after us. Just doing this seemed to have caught the attention of some of the other adventurers that were waiting in line. Once we were through, the receptionist led us out the back into a hallway that was just behind the front desk area. Once there she showed us right to the end and up a flight of stairs. One we reached the landing on the next floor we followed her two doors along, before she stopped and knocked on the door.

"Yes?" Asked the voice from inside.

"I've brought your guests." Explained the receptionist.

"Ah good, please show them in."

The receptionist opened the door and ushered us all inside before taking her leave and heading back downstairs. Inside we were met by a tall and well built grey haired wolfkin woman. I remembered what Lisa had told me back in Dunshelm, and at first glance this appeared to be true of this woman too. She looked as if she had seen her fair share of battles, with traces of scars here and there. I felt a little more at ease to think she also worked her way to this position.

"Ah Lillia, long time no see!" The wolfkin woman said once we were all inside.

She didn't seem to talk like a noble either.

"Yes, it has been a while, Cynthia." Replied Lillia.

"Please take a seat all of you." Cynthia said gesturing to the seats.

The room was laid out with a large desk at the far end that Cynthia was sat behind and there were several chairs laid out in front of it ready for us. My first thought was that this room was her office, but as I took my seat and looked around, I changed my mind. For someone's office it was too empty, there were no personal effects anywhere. The only ornament in the entire room was a large mirror hanging on one of the side walls. No, if anything this reminded me more of an interview room.

"Well, Lillia, can you introduce everyone for me? I'm afraid that I haven't met any of the others before despite knowing their names." Asked Cynthia.

"Of course."

Lillia made her way through the group introducing each of us in turn to Cynthia. We each greeted her and briefly shook hands as she did so.

"Thanks, Lillia... Now, sorry to have dive right into business when you've just got here, but would you be happy to talk me through the report you submitted?"