Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-Eight: Fleeing in Darkness

I leant right up to the window, trying to make out what was going on outside as we fled. It was so dark that I could barely make out a thing. I couldn't even make out the light from our possible pursuer's torches once we had left the camp area. I was glad that it was unlikely that we would be spotted, but I had to wonder how Rosa was managing to drive the carriage in this darkness. Because of the darkness and because of the state of the road we were travelling on, we weren't going fast. We were at least moving faster than we would on foot.

"Do you think they will have spotted us?" I asked Serin.

"I doubt it. They would have to have keener senses than Altria to have picked us up from that distance." She answered.

"That's a relief."

"It won't take them long to realise that there was someone at the camp, recently once they come across it though. Although, we should have put some distance between us and them by then."

"I just hope this trail leads out of the forest."

"So do I. But depending on where it exits, we could still be in trouble. They could be watching all the routes leading away from the capital, not just this one."

"That would make sense. We have no way of knowing where this leads to, until we get there."

"If it comes to it, we'll have to leave the carriage and continue on foot. I'd like to continue as far as possible this way. Hopefully, we can stay ahead of them. Getting Rosa to part with her carriage won't be an easy task either."

"I suppose it could mean losing her job."

"It could, but I would speak to her employer once we returned to town. I'd hope that they would understand under the circumstances."

"I'm sure that they would listen to you."

"Perhaps. For now, let's just hope it doesn't come to that."

As we spoke the carriage rocked as the wheels hit a large rut in the road. We both hoped that it would be able to hold out on this ruff trail. Rosa seemed certain that it could manage, and we both just had to have faith in her driving ability.

We had been moving for a little over half an hour when we came to a stop. When it became apparent that we weren't about to start moving again right away, Serin and I got out of the carriage to see what was up.

"Is everything okay?" Asked Serin.

"Yes... We've reached the cottage. I just wanted to check over the horses, give them a little water and rest before we move on. From here on in it's a unknow trail to me. This kind of path is harder for them than on the road, so I want to check they're okay." Answered Rosa.

"It can't be easy for them dragging a carriage down here."

"It isn't, but they seem to be holding up alright." Rosa said patting the head of one of her horses.

"Altria, are we being followed?" Asked Serin.

"If we are, they're some way off. I can't see anyone from here." Answered Altria.

"Good... Theo, do you think Celine can check back there, like she did earlier?"

"I don't know. I'll ask her." I replied. "Celine, are you there?"

"Yes master." She replied reappearing almost instantly.

"We need your help. Can you check back down the road to see if we are being followed?"

"I can. I'll check now." She said before zipping into thin air once again.

"That's pretty helpful... do you have any idea how long she'll be?" Asked Serin.