Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-Nine: Standing Our Ground

We didn't have to wait long. There was a twang sound as an arrow was loosed, shortly followed by clang as it was deflected by Altria's dagger. I was almost relieved, there was no longer any doubt about the intentions of our pursers. Whether they were sent by the king to chase us down or not, it was clear that they meant us harm.

"Here they come." Shouted Altria, while notching an arrow to her bow.

"Just try not to kill them." Serin said stepping forward, her sword drawn.

"Huh?"

"Altria, just try."

"Fine."

Altria loosed two arrows in quick succession. The first was knocked of course by the rider at the head of the group, but the second slammed into the shoulder of the rider behind and threw her off her horse with a crash. Seeing that we were sheltered by the carriage, the rest of the riders dismounted and approached us on foot. Altria fired a couple more shots, trying to keep them pinned down and prevent them from healing the fallen soldier.

"Rosa cover us." Shouted Serin.

"Will do." Rosa shouted back from behind the tree line.

"Time to switch to blades... I'll take the leader." Serin said pointing to the elf that had deflected Altria's arrows. She did seem the most skilled. "Altria take those two." She said pointing to the injured soldier and another to the side."

"Right." Answered Altria.

"Theo the last ones yours. If you can't manage just hold out until we're done. Don't try anything stupid."

"I won't."

The three soldiers that were still standing fanned out as they approached us. Rosa kept firing arrows from her crossbow. It was clear she wasn't really trying to hit them, but it was enough to keep them approaching cautiously and to prevent them from helping the fallen. That was all that we needed. Seeing them approach, Serin took the initiative and dove at her target head on. The elf clearly had some skills, but she wasn't going to be a match for Serin, and she already had her on the backfoot. Seeing this made me feel better about our chances.

Altria was the next to move, cutting in between the second elf girl and Serin, stopping her from backing up her friend. While she did this, I took the left doing the same for the last woman that approached. Feeling out my opponent I unleashed a mana wind strike while we were still some distance apart. It didn't even graze her, she simply sidestepped the attack and approached me head on. I could tell she at least had a speed advantage over me. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to manage whilst trying not to seriously injure her.

Seeing me falter the elf girl sprung straight for me like a flash. I barely managed to parry her first sword strike and from there on in I was on the backfoot. I couldn't spare a moment to glance at the others, but I was sure they were doing better than I was. Dodge, followed by dodge and block I was pushed back, without a moment to regroup or to try to counterattack. I soon realised I wasn't going to be able to win this with my sword skills and if I didn't do something quickly, I was going to be the one that got seriously injured.

I dodged once more, then somehow managed to sidestep a powerful strike, then I unleashed "Disarm". The girl realised something was up right away, she faltered for moment before gathering herself. I'd missed my chance, the girl was a little red in the face from embarrassment, but I give her credit as she soon pressed on. I just couldn't bring myself to strike her when I had the chance and almost regretted it instantly. She came at me with twice the ferocity of before and with a look of disgust and anger on her face. This time she had managed to graze me twice in as many attacks. It wasn't going to be long until I took serious damage.