Chapter Forty-Eight: Just a Couple More

As soon as Lillia spoke, I heard the sound of hooves approaching us. A momentary lapse of concentration as she answered Siofra had allowed three of the dark unicorns to break through her lines of roots and come charging in our direction. Lillia immediately tried to stop them with more roots.

"No wait. Leave them!" Yelled Siofra.

"What?" Asked Lillia looking confused.

"Just keep the rest away. We'll manage these. Right Theo?"

"Yeah." I answered.

"Good... You take the left and I'll take the right." Siofra instructed taking up a position just in front of Lillia.

I followed Siofra and took up position in front of Lillia. I was just a little further to the left to give Siofra space to move. I didn't fancy trying to take down one of these dark unicorns as it ran at me in close quarters with my blade. I decided the best bet would be to try out the wind blade strike and hit it at a distance. I hoped that if I used the same method as Siofra and went for its legs I could bring it down before it reached us, and I could finish it off on the ground. The problem would be the third creature.

"Don't worry about a second. Just concentrate on the one to the far left and I take the other two down. You can finish them off when they're on the ground." Siofra said, briefly turning to me answering my question before I could ask it.

"Right."

The beasts were probably only fifty meters out now. Siofra clutched her axe and ran toward the two on the right. The one that was to the left ignored her and continued its course heading straight for me. As soon as it stepped into my range, I unleashed the skill. An unseen blade of wind crashed into the creature's legs. It didn't instantly come crashing down, like the others had when Siofra hit them with the axe. It wobbled, one step, two steps, then one of its legs buckled and it fell under its own forward momentum.

At the same time as my target hit the floor Siofra had reached the other two. She ran straight in between the two creatures and spun with her axe. It was so quick it looked almost as if she had hit both of them at the same time. They both collapsed to the ground as I ran over to the one I had grounded. I knew I had to be quick, there was the chance it could back to its feet. There was no way it had taken as much damage from my strike as the axe blows.

I ran straight to its head and plunged my blade into its eye socket. I didn't stop, continuing to run to the two that Siofra had downed. The tada noise rang out halfway there confirming its demise. I reached the second creature and plunged the blade into the side of its face through its cheek bone, before jumping to the next. The tada noise ringing out again and again, then the confirmation note. I'd now reached level eight.

"Good work you two!" Lillia called over seeing we were done. "I think it's time for us to leave."

Our next task was getting out of here with the rest of the herd trying to make its way to us through Lillia's roots.

"She's right." Agreed Siofra.

We both joined Lillia again, but making it off the plane without fighting more of the dark unicorns was going to be easier said than done. Lillia could only produce the roots so far up ahead and to keep the herd away she needed to keep a constant eye on them. This meant we had to walk out of there at the pace that Lillia could back out. Then there was the toll that the constant mana drain was taking on Lillia.

She reached to her potion pouch and pulled out a stamina and mana potion, before quickly downing both of them. The next hour was spent painstakingly edging our way back to the hillside. Once there we finally put enough distance between us and the herd, that they stopped paying attention to us. The only problem now was that Lillia was completely exhausted. We made it as far as the top of the hill before she needed a break. She popped another stamina and mana potion, but these only went so far.