Chapter One Hundred and Seventy-Seven: The Shrine

Celine was only gone for a few minutes before she returned this time. She reappeared at the edge of the treeline next to Aetherin and the pair walked inside and joined up with the rest of us. It was time to make our move.

As Celine reached us, she begun to explain the situation. "There's one group on patrol, the other three are stationary, but it won't be for long. They're currently making their round on the left side of the compound from us. The other two are to the far right of the site and in front of main building. The guards at the stairs still haven't moved."

Serin nodded as she listened then turned to the rest of the group. "Thanks Celine. Okay everyone, Enna and I will take thew moving group. Aetherin and Theo take the pair in front of the main building. Liz and Beth, you two take the group to right of the compound. Celine, I'd like you to go with Altria and neutralise the pair on the stairs."

Altria nodded. "I can do that."

"Everyone ready?" Asked Serin.

We all quietly nodded in response.

"Okay, head out in your pairs. Altria and Celine you're up first."

Altria turned to Celine and waved her to follow, then the pair almost silently headed to the tree line and virtually blending into the shadows entered the compound.

Serin waved for the next pair. "Liz, Beth, you're next."

The two made their way to the edge of the trees then turned to the right and followed the treeline along towards the edge of the compound.

Once they were out of sight Serin turned back to Aetherin and me. "Okay now it's your turn, we'll follow after you. See you at the central building."

As we left, I turned to Serin. "You will. Stay safe!"

Aetherin took the lead and I followed closely behind. I glanced back over my shoulder and could see Serin and Enna making their way to left of us.

Aetherin slowed as we reached the edge of the trees and she turned back to me. "You should stay behind me." She said under her breath.

"I will, but I can help you take them down."

"Good, I'm counting on you to watch my back."

She turned back and we stepped out into the open, sticking to the shadows as we made our way to the front of the man building. Aetherin didn't make a sound, her feet were silent as they touched the ground.

The best I could do was tread as quietly as I could as I followed behind. We soon reached the edge of the central building and came to a stop. Aetherin crept up to the edge and peered round, then she waved for me to join her. I drew my sword ready for the fight. The guards were just up ahead, just like Celine had told us.

I stood next to Aetherin, and she signalled a countdown for us to step out on her fingers. When she reached zero, we stepped out. The guards had their backs turned to us and had no idea what was coming to them.

I raised my blade hoping to end the one in front of me in a single strike. Then as Aetherin and I stepped out she moved fast towards the pair, and she vanished from my sight. All I could sense was the sound of the air parting as she moved.

I ran forward to keep up, but I didn't make it. The guard to the left fell, then the right. Both killed with a single blow. Aetherin came into view as she stopped. I sheathed my blade, slightly disappointed that I wasn't able to help.

She turned to me as I reached her. "We should move the bodies."

"Right."

We each took one of the guards by the arms and slowly dragged them to the side of the building and out of view. We tried to be as quiet as possible, not knowing if the others had yet completed their tasks.