Chapter 8

After the small talks of Mew and Gulf over dinner, Mew asks Gulf to wait for him in the living room as he cleans the dishes.

Gulf tried to help but immediately it was declined with a flat ‘no’. Therefore, he is sitting in the living room rubbing his stomach. He feels full, something he hasn’t felt for the past few weeks. He doesn’t know why but their dinner seems very appetizing to him. He notes to ask Mew where he ordered the foods, since he was just woken up by the other earlier. Thinking about it makes him feel shy a little; he has been sleeping since his arrival.

“Here.”

Gulf is awakened from his trance when a glass of milk appeared in his vision.

“T-Thanks,” Gulf mumbles, surprised and reaches the mug. He is not fond of milk but it would be rude to decline.

“No problem.”

Mew settles on the seat opposite the younger. He observes the younger holding the mug with both hands, staring at the content. It puts a small smile on Mew’s face, Gulf looks like a kid.

Mew is not sure if the other likes milk, but he believes it is good for him nevertheless, so he brought it.

The two guys are engulfed with silence again. And finally, it is Mew’s turn to break the uncomfortable atmosphere. Although everything transpires so fast, they have to at least be comfortable to each other in order to talk openly, especially that the younger is pregnant.

“Nong Gulf, there are some things that I want to speak with you,” Mew starts.

Bringing the mug in his mouth, Gulf asks, “What is it, Phi?”

“I know everything is so sudden,” Mew says. “But I want us to be comfortable with each other. We will be living in two years and I want us to at least be friends.”

Gulf feels relief flooding within him. He wants to address the same thing but he doesn’t know how to start so he is grateful that the older opens this topic.

Gulf offers a small smile though he can feel his ears heating up. “I have no problem with it, Phi.”

Mew returns the gesture. “Then I want you to be comfortable with me. I know we just met few days ago but I want you to be open with me,” he explains.

“I can guess how you must be feeling, but you can just treat me as your friend, na?”

Gulf can feel heat creeping onto his cheeks upon hearing Mew’s soft voice.

“Okay, Phi. I’ll do that.”

“And Nong, will you promise to tell me if there’s something that’s bothering you?” Mew wants to at least make Gulf’s stay as comfortable as possible.

“If ever you’re not feeling well or anything, please don’t hesitate to tell me.”

Gulf nods. “Thanks, Phi.”

“I didn’t mean to ask you this,” Mew hesitantly states. “But I didn’t ruin a relationship or something of sorts, did I…?”

From Mew’s background check, his spouse is single. But his guilt is nagging him for confirmation.

Gulf flashes a faint smile. “Not really, Phi.”

Seeing the unvoiced question from the older’s eyes, Gulf decides to continue. They have decided to be friends, after all. Mew may not come close to Bright or Mild, but at least he has to try.

“Um, more like…getting to know stage,” Gulf shyly admits.

Mew’s eyes are filled with guilt. “Now, I feel bad,” he says.