Chapter 36

The rumor immediately died the next day, as everyone is on their toes because they just realized how they literally badmouth the spouse of their boss.

That happening should have brought Mew the easiness he desired but it’s getting impossible when he keeps on thinking about the conversation he had with his friend and at the same time, watching the younger more closely and frequently than before.

And indeed, Mew starts to really see more of Gulf. It all started on that morning after the day of Zac’s visit when he woke up a little earlier than usual.

Mew felt like a creep for staring at the younger then, from Gulf’s closed eyes, those long lashes, to his nose down to his plump lips. Gulf looked so peaceful and beautiful while sleeping that he can still see it whenever he closes his eyes.

They have been sleeping on one bed for quite long that Mew fails to notice any sign of difference. He has been feeling warm and contented that he overlooked the things that are obviously right in front of him.

How did he manage to overlook the fact that he literally holds his breath whenever Gulf beams at him with those bambi eyes? He has no idea. He must be really stupid. Why did he not notice how he is so affected with Gulf’s welfare?

Yes, he admits, everything was because of the child in Gulf’s womb at first. But how did he overlook that he has become so selfish lately? Wanting the other smiling, giggling and laughing, not because of the child, but simply because Mew simply wants to see Gulf like that—happy.

And those sweet noises…damn, he simply wants to hear it for a long long time. Not because Gulf is pregnant, but he just wants it like that. Since when did his purpose shift? He has no idea. He only knows that the things he has been doing for Gulf for some time now is because of his own pleasure.

Because Mew can’t bear the sadness on those bambi eyes. He has seen how those eyes lit up for so many times that he got addicted to making it stay just like that at all times. Bright. Sparkling. Filled with delight.

Because he thinks that Gulf deserves all the goodness in the world.

Because Gulf is special and brave and honest and responsible and good, that even if he has the option to run away from a mess, he chose to stay. And even if Gulf is awkward and timid, he always tries his best. And even if Gulf is not the best with words, he listens, he comforts, and he gives him warmth. How can he not notice all these things sooner?

Mew is feeling overwhelmed once again as he stares at the younger working on his desk. It was not the best encounter they had, but indeed, his friend is right. What are the odds for his path to be tangled with Gulf’s in this most ridiculous way? He is one lucky bastard for meeting Gulf. Marrying Gulf. Having a child with Gulf. He suddenly feels too much he feels like bursting.

Mew has been so lost in his own thoughts that he jerks a little in surprise when he is pulled from his own reverie when a gentle hand touches his cheek, caressing it and worried bambi eyes looking down on him…only then Mew realized that Gulf is leaning on his desk, towering him. How? He doesn’t know. He must be so lost in his emotion he can feel his eyes sting.

“Are you okay?” Gulf asks, one hand still caressing the older’s cheek while the other holds the edge of the table.

Mew only nods as he rests his own hand over the younger’s on his cheek, feeling the familiar warmth. He doesn’t want to speak for his cracked voice will surely give him away.

Gulf sighs as he keeps his eyes on Mew. The older is clearly on the verge of breaking down and he doesn’t know why, but what keeps Gulf’s worry at bay is the shine on Mew’s eyes. The older looks happy…too happy even, and Gulf is quite confused what’s going on.