Thirty-Three|Unexpected surprise

"Mr

"Mr. Bychkov, I mean Kira, Lucas is waiting for you in his office. He said to let you know when you arrived."

Austin said as he ventures behind the desk.

"Thanks Austin."

He's been kept waiting for a few hours now as the visit to the doctor took longer than I expected. After finding out my woman is pregnant the last thing I thought I'd be doing is coming here to have this talk. I should be with her, swaddling her with love and affection.

Kissing her pampering her for gifting me with something so special. A child we created. But instead I have to be the bearer of bad news. Lucas's office is on the first floor beside the one one I'm using during the pandemic.

I get to his door not bothering to knock, enter right away. Lucas is looking at some plans on his desk. He turns his head up once he realize I'm in the room.

"Kira you're here."

I close the door. Going closer just beyond his desk. I don't sit because I don't plan to be here long.

"We need to talk."

Nothing good ever follows whenever someone begins a conversation with this statement. I know from personal experience. Lucas knows as the expression on his face makes this clear.

He stops what he's doing focusing on me. Tensing up as if he knows what's coming.

I'm sure he does.

"As of today June 7th your contract has been terminated. In full affect immediately at the end of today's work day."

Weirdly he didn't seem surprised by anything I just said. Lucas just swallows the lump I'm sure is in his throat, nodding.

"Okay."

"You're to return all your business cards, work phone, pack your belongs and vacate the premises at 5pm, no later."

"Can I ask what led to this?"

"An official letter will be sent to your address on file with your termination notice."

There's no reason for me to explain myself. He's broken my trust one too many times. That's it, clear and simple. If I can no longer trust him then there's no reason for us to continue working together. This is a business I started from the ground up and I only employ people whom I trust. People I have faith in. Lucas is no longer that type of person.

With that I leave the office, heading to the front. Austin looks up from what he's doing.

"Kira is everything good?"

"Everything is great. Unfortunately as of today Lucas Gauthier will no longer be working at the firm. Please draft up a termination letter and email it to me for review. Once I've approved it please mail it to his home address."