Meet Madhushree.....

12 Years Ago

"Major Sahab, you kept your promise to your mother land, But broke our vows.........." a middle aged woman said those words to a moderate sized photoframe of an army dignitary. The photoframe had a garland of fresh white crepe myrtles around it which potentially signified that the person in the photoframe was apparently dead. She sniffed and stared at the picture of her now martyred husband.
"You didn't even bothered about us. How will I raise our children alone??? " she broke down into soft sniffles, recalling her husband and his untimely death.
"You betrayed me Major Sahab........You betrayed me.....!!!" her heart clenched and eyes cascaded down rivulets of salty tears while she remembered her late husband. The emotions bombarded her mind and heart altogether and she slumped down the floor, sobbing as if to be seen. The pain of losing her husband was slowly tearing her away both physically and mentally. However in that intense overwhelmness, she heard feeble voices of general acquaintances, coming straight through the door behind her. She sniffed as she wiped her tears and looked behind.
"Lata, did you see it!!!!! " she found her sister's figure storming towards her and alongside her, her 6 year daughter Madhushree. She sniffed and stood up.
"Jiji, what happened?? " she asked in perplexity.
"Those boys down the street........fighting, ready to rip each other's flesh......." the lady stated a little short of breath. Lata looked at her in confusion.
"Over??? " Lata was anxious as she looked at her innocent little girl who was clutching to her teddy bear tightly.
"Over her...." the lady said a little loudly. Lata gasped at the sound of it and gaped at her daughter, terrified and bewildered. Madhushree innocently stared at both the ladies due to her tiny brain unable to process what was going on.
"What are you saying Jiji??? " Lata had tears of terror brimming in her eyes.
"I saw it with my own eyes lata.......this is going out of the hands now.......We need to do something...." she said with emphasis. Lata sniffled slowly staring at her daughter with giddy eyes. Her world had shattered altogether. A woman without a husband and with a burden of raising three kids with no support whatsoever, Lata was slowly tearing apart.
"And what should I do, Jiji.........what supposedly a woman without a man can do!!!! I have no one to protect me and my children........" Lata broke down in front of her sister. The lady embraced her.
"Why do you think like that Lata!!!! A woman is just as strong as a man. Major Sahab had always believed that even if he's not there, you would still be able to raise your children........At least for Major Sahab.....show some courage Lata!!!!" she softly stroked her head to comfort her wretched sister. However Lata wasn't a woman who falls for someone's words. She raised her head and looked at her beautiful daughter with her bloodshot eyes.
"I know what I have to do...." she stated as she stood up and stormed towards her daughter.
"Lata........Lata........What are you doing????? " shouted the lady as she saw Lata grabbing the little girl's wrist and dragging her inside. Little madhushree couldn't understand why her mother seemed so angry with her. She didn't do any mistake, besides she was trying to be a good girl just like her father wanted her to be.
"Lata..........wait..........it's not her fault........Lata........listen........" she shouted running behind her, but lata was fiercer and beyond furious at the moment. She had lost everything, her husband and even a basic sense of judgement. Lata took little girl into her room, released her wrist and began sliding and closing the drawers.
"What are you upto Lata!!!! " the lady panted while clutching the little girl tightly. Madhushree clinged to her aunt as her mother's new transformation had frightened her to core. Lata continued fumbling inside the drawers until a minute later when she produced a vessel of black ink from one of the drawer. She then stormed towards her trembling daughter.
"Your mother can't afford your beauty inviting monsters to you and to my home......." she muttered with tears building up in her eyes. Abruptly she grabbed madhushree's arm harshly and dragged her to a small stool. And then she started smearing her face with the black ink more carelessly.
"Lata what are you doing....." the lady pushed her hand away from the little girl.
"Let me do it, Jiji.........this is the only way I can protect her from the monsters outside....." Lata resumed painting her face with ink.
"This is pure madness......" the lady cried but lata was firm.
"So be it, this is the only way I can protect my family......" stated Lata while little madhushree silently bear her 'punishment'.