A Bold Choice

Binna sits in the outer office waiting to see Bang PD. She flips through an industry magazine nervously as she waits. The pretty new assistant continues to type loudly on her keyboard, occasionally looking up and eyeing her, possibly judging her outfit, or her hair, she reasons based on the frown on her face. She looks away when their eyes meet and returns to typing. She had decided she needed to see Bang PD as soon as possible after tossing and turning half the night thinking about her position in the company, and questioning again why she wasn't even given the opportunity to meet to discuss the music video. She doesn't want to question a decision made by her superior, but, she's learned she has to, or she would never get ahead.

She's not entirely sure what she's going to say to Bang PD, but she has a copy of her reel on a drive, and she will certainly ask him, point blank, what his plans might be for her, what role he expects her to play at the company. She is startled by the buzz of a device on the desk of the assistant and their eyes meet again. The assistant grabs the device, looking at it, and nods to Binna.

"PD nim will see you now," she says in a sugary sweet voice that can't be genuine. Binna stands and bows slightly to her, and steps up to the large door to his inner office, taking a deep breath before she turns the handle, and enters. She sees Bang PD sat at his large desk, and he stands and comes around the desk to greet her, taking her hand. He smiles warmly, although he was not expecting her and he doesn't know what this meeting is about, he was kind enough to give her some of his time and for that, Binna bows low in respect.

"Jee BinNa, it's nice to see you. I have caught a few of the 'To Do' episodes recently, very fun. I hope you are enjoying working with them." His face is round like a moon and full of joy. It makes her smile back at him and she nods.

"Yes, they're all very professional, but a lot of fun. I hope that is captured in the final edit." She doesn't need to say it, because she knows it's a great show, but it feels right to be humble in this moment. He motions for her to take a seat and she sits down, feeling her body drop down into the chair, feeling almost as though the chair has been dropped lower. She looks up at him sat behind the desk, now feeling more imposing, and she questions if he's had the chair lowered just to give him a more powerful position to the people sat where she is sat. She straightens up in her chair, sitting as tall as she can and she clears her throat.

"PD nim, Thank you for seeing me. I was working at the V Live last night for BTS," she begins. He looks at her surprised. "I was filling in on camera, because someone was unable to attend," she explains. He accepts this and waits for her to continue. "I also had the opportunity to speak with Jeon Jungkook after the meeting." Bang PD's eyes narrow as he thinks over the possibilities of what she will say next. Binna looks directly at him, knowing that if she proceeds, one of them, either she, or Jungkook, will likely be the cause of some displeasure for Bang PD, and she is not yet sure who will bear the brunt of that burden. She takes a deep breath. "He told me you have chosen him to direct the music video for the single 'The Point of Tears' and I must admit, I was surprised." His lips purse, and she pauses, knowing that continuing might be risky. He looks directly at her, but seems to be looking past her, perhaps deep in his own private thoughts.

"I see," he says, stone-faced, giving no hint at his actual reaction. He cocks his head a little to the side as he thinks. "And you feel this was the wrong choice?" he asks, making her blush instantly for even considering questioning him, but, she nods. She does think he's made a rash decision and, more Directors should have been given the opportunity, not just her. He folds his arms across his chest and he sits back in his chair.

"I saw some of the video, as it was played on the monitor, and, I think perhaps a video of previously seen footage doesn't do the song justice." She says boldly, deciding she may as well continue with her own pitch. "If you have time, I think, if you are interested in a documentary feel for the video, you might want to look at some of the documentaries I have directed." She sits up closer to him, with the drive in her hands, trying to hide the fact that she is shaking. He swivels his chair a little to the side and studies her. He doesn't look at the drive in her outstretched hand. She waits an excruciatingly long time before he speaks. He smiles.

"Did you mention this to Jungkook?" His question takes her by surprise. She lays the drive down on his desk and shakes her head.

"Not exactly. I did talk to him about the project, a little. He actually asked me to work on it." She surprises herself by mentioning it, she hadn't intended to tell him that. Bang PD's ears perk up at the mention. He sits forward, looking at her.

"As a Camera Operator?" he questions, his mind obviously deeply involved in his own thoughts.

"I suppose so. I just thought you might consider some of your other, more seasoned Directors, for this video, since it's such a high profile project," she says, hoping to get him focused on the idea that others; that she, could and should be given a chance to work on this video. He chuckles, surprising her.

"What did you say?" he asks. She looks at him confused.

"What do you mean?"

"When he asked you to work on it, to work for him, what did you say to him?" She frowns a little.

"I- I didn't agree. I told him that I wanted to see his footage and find out what he intended to do before I would agree to work on it," she tells him honestly, but hearing herself say the words out loud in front of him makes her blush at her own nerve. Maybe she should have jumped at the opportunity, and been grateful for it. Instead she was feeling angry, and frustrated, and she couldn't let herself agree to work with him, for him. She stopped herself from taking the opportunity because she felt she deserved more. She feels a little shame at her actions creeping in, filling in the quiet of the room. She is instantly humbled even though Bang PD is just sitting and starring at her, saying nothing, with a half smile spreading across his lips. "I have made many documentaries. I really think you need to consider a documentary filmmaker for this video if this is the approach you want to take." She says, finding every fiber of pride in her own talent, and every measure of bravery inside her, and pushing herself forward, demanding to be seen, and considered. She stares hard at Bang PD, hoping the mask of confidence she has put on is fooling him.

He looks at her, and chuckles. She regards him, curiously, surprised, and unsure what he's thinking. He pauses such a long time, studying her, that she shifts in her chair. He sighs almost as though he knows exactly what will happen, with some strange gift of foresight no one else has. He has something planned.

"I have decided that given the circumstances; the song is already out, the tour is planned, that I want the group to focus on the comeback album. The fact that Jungkook has essentially completed the video, means they can focus on the album. He's going to direct some additional footage, new footage, of the members, and I would like you to work with him on the video." He sits back in his chair, his arms still folded, and he watches his words roll over her, and dig into her, and she sits quietly, wondering if this is a funny game to him.

Ok, so he doesn't want to give her the chance to direct the music video, but why has he essentially ordered her to work on it? She already told him that she hadn't decided if she would agree to work on it. It's almost a cruel joke to just decree that she will work for him, work for Jungkook, after what she's just said to him. It feels a little like a slap in the face, and she would think he was being cruel, if he didn't have the faintest of smiles on his face as he sits across from her. He's her boss. She has to say yes, or, find another job. She looks down as she prepares herself.

"Yes PD nim. I will reach out to him today." She nods again as she thinks about what he's asked of her. She stands, quickly, surprising him a little. She looks at him just once more, meeting his eyes as he smiles at her. She fakes a smile back at him, still questioning how he can be asking this of her now. She turns to leave and he stops her.

"Binna, I think this will be good for your career," he suddenly explains. She turns back to him and bows.

"Yes PD, thank you." She smiles weakly at him, still so unsure, and she turns again to walk out of his office, closing the door behind her.