A Visit from PD

Jungkook worked most of the morning with Sena in the studio, adding some layers to his song, and he left with the idea that he could finish it, actually finish this song, in a day or two of working with her. It felt good to have that finish line in sight. He had spent months working on songs for his mixtape and he wasn't sure it could be ready before the Comeback album was released. There was so much left to do, so much unsettled. This song seemed to come easier, or maybe it was working with Sena that made the ideas come to him easier. She seemed to be able to tap into what he was thinking, what he wanted to express, in a similar way to how Namjoon does, but Namjoon had known him for over fifteen years. It seems unbelievable to think that she could know what's on his mind, and what's in his heart. 

He left, reluctant to go, he hadn't reached out to find out how to contact Binna, he wasn't even sure who to reach out to, but he knew he had to get to the music video set for the final day of the shoot. It was a long afternoon, but he'd gotten to experience the joy of watching Taehyung and Jimin walk through the space together, and react to everything, as the other members had. The playful, giddy side of his hyungs came out, for the first time since their time together in the military, it was like they were all back there, their younger selves, reliving it together. 

When their service was done, he felt both of them became much more serious and stoic after the initial rush of freedom they felt. Jimin had thrown himself immediately into work, and had spent months working on choreography for them, and for others. When he was injured during a rehearsal, and unable to dance for several weeks, his restlessness had worried Jungkook, and it was his invitation to the ballet that brought Dasom into Jimin's life to settle him. Taehyung seemed to be making the transition back to their careers fine; working on songs at night with Yoongi, but when his parents suddenly moved across the country, and he was alone, he began to close himself off from his brothers, and from Jungkook in particular, or so it felt at the time. Until he found Hana, it seemed a wall had been put up that made Jungkook feel he was kept at arm's length, for the first time in their lives together. Although he still wasn't sure about their whirlwind courtship, Taehyung's brightness had returned, and Jungkook hoped they could again be as close as they once had been.

It was heartwarming to see them both filled with the memories and getting in touch with their teenaged selves; full of hopes, dreams, and mischief. From the moment they entered the space, they never stopped laughing. They were impressed with the set, and with all of the items and details that Binna had managed to find for them. Perhaps they expected it to feel different, now that so much in their lives had changed, but it didn't. It felt to each of them as though they had reawakened that fire inside them. It was a perfect ending to the shoot, and Jungkook was relieved to have it finished and sent the crew home.

The footage was already on it's way to HYBE with the producer, who had thanked Jungkook for the opportunity to produce the video, even though Jungkook had nothing to do with it and would never have given him that opportunity if they had discussed it with him. The footage would be handed off to the edit suite staff to begin assembling for the cut, and the media cards with the originals would be placed in the locked safe behind PD nim's desk, along with the previous footage. Jungkook drops down on the mattress in the dorm bedroom as he thinks about the media cards inside that safe. He is still torn with the idea that he needs to clear Binna's name, but in a way that protects them both. He can't just tell PD everything that happened between them or there is no chance he will ever see her again. If he finds the proof it wasn't Binna, at the very least PD will honor his promise to consider her for the documentary, or even to just rehire her at HYBE. If she stays with the company, maybe they could have something, maybe they could have a future, and one day people could know about it.

He smiles vaguely at the idea of what it would be like to have a partner. He hadn't thought of working with anyone, on the music video, or the documentary. He liked being in charge, he liked to be the boss, but, he liked working with her more. He liked being with her more. He swallows hard as he thinks about what this means. He needs to fix this, to prove her innocence. He's sure he can work with her, he's sure he wants to work with her, and he's sure that he misses her.

He checks his phone to see the time, knowing that PD will arrive at any moment. He shakes his head as he looks down at his knee bouncing nervously as he waits. He knows he has a short window of time to resolve this, but he knows that somehow, he will find a way; he has to.

He's startled by the buzzer to the door sounding and he jumps up quickly. He knows no one is left on the set to answer the door, and he doesn't want to keep him waiting. He takes as deep breath as he pulls the handle to open the door, and he smiles as he sees Bang PD's boyish grin as he greets Jungkook. He steps aside to let him enter.

"PD nim, welcome to our first dorm, again," he teases. Bang PD steps into the space and begins to look around at the furnishings and the clutter and the clothing piles. The lights and camera equipment have all been removed and it looks even more like the dorm they remember. He says nothing for several moments as he takes it all in and Jungkook watches his back as he turns from item to item and he looks at a computer set up near the window and laughs for the first time. 

"It's so similar! But it's a little cleaner than I remember it," he teases. "Where did you find that, a museum?" He points at the outdated desktop. Jungkook Laughs at the similar response and he nods. 

"I think Binna said they found it in a store room at HYBE, it could even be the same model, it looks the same," he says stepping closer to PD and noticing he stiffens at the mention of her name. 

"I remember all of this! All of it. I paid for a lot of it." He laughs again, a deeper more full bodied laugh and Jungkook nods realizing it was true. 

"We have all come a long way," he says wistfully. Bang PD shakes his head in disbelief as he continues to look around.

"Oh, I brought something for you, in honor of the music video wrap." He reaches into his bag and pulls out a huge bottle of Soju. Jungkook's eyes light up. He isn't often in the habit of drinking alone with Bang Si-hyuk and it still feels very much like a rite of passage. He smiles at him warmly and bows a thank you as he takes the bottle. "Do you have any actual glasses in this apartment?" Jungkook chuckles and leads the way to the kitchen to open a cabinet where they once kept the glasses. He is not surprised to find glasses there but Bang PD notices it with curiosity. He opens the bottle and pours into the glasses, handing one to PD.

"We never really had chairs, but Binna got some directors chairs for the set if you'd care to sit down," he explains, mentioning her again. PD follows him back into the living room and takes a seat with his glass in the large director's chair in the middle of the space. Jungkook turns on a lamp in the living room as the light from the windows has all but disappeared. PD reaches his glass across to Jungkook, in a silent toast, before gulping down the strong liquor. Jungkook looks around the space, wondering if this is the last time he will see it. "This video was very meaningful, to me, and to all of the members," he says as he takes his first sip. Bang PD nods as he sits quietly, sensing Jungkook has more to say. "It would not have been possible without Jee Binna. And I know I didn't want to work with her, because, well because she tried to take the job away from me," he half laughs as he admits it. "But you were right, we worked well together, and she worked hard to make this happen." Jungkook looks over at him.

"I know how you feel Jungkook, but there is really nothing to be done."

"I'm going to figure it out, I'm going to prove to you she didn't do this. I can't stand the idea that everyone at HYBE thinks she's a traitor who leaked information." Bang PD shakes his head.

"No, no one else knows what happened. Only the key crew on this set, and Namjoon who I met with before he came to set. I needed him to be aware since I thought you might have a difficult time. I didn't want this to get back to you while you were still working on the video." Jungkook shakes his head.

"But the rumors must have been flying." 

"No one but the people I called on this set; the producer, the camera operator, and Namjoon, know why she was fired." Jungkook stares hard at him wondering if it could actually be true. He was the one to tell Hoseok and Yoongi, but no one else. If no one else at the company knows why she was fired, or why she is not currently working with him, it should be easy to prove her innocence and  get her job back. She can pick up exactly where she left off. He smiles filled with the warmth of the Soju and the hope for the future.