The Beginning

The quiet Mews street is too narrow to fit the black van hired to bring Jungkook into Knightsbridge. The driver pointed him in the direction of the address and seemed happy to get out of the area quickly before the morning rush begins. Jungkook hasn't even been to the hotel, he came straight from the airport, even at this hour he has to see her. Once he sees her, he will know.

He steps onto the cobblestone street, feeling the uneasiness of each step on the centuries old path. The sky is just beginning to get light, and the first hint of a blaze of summer color is replacing the dark night. The street is quiet. There is no sound apart from the loud chirps of birds in trees nearby just waking up, and the distant hum of traffic on the main road. It's too early for the residents to be awake but he knows that in an hour the houses will be full of life; families getting ready for the day, and office workers heading to catch the train.

He walks carefully toward a ground level flat, painted white, with a bright blue door. He can tell that the lights inside are on, unlike the quiet dark of the other houses. It's as if the light is a beacon to him, drawing him further down the little street. He turns to see that each house is dark, the street is empty and that no one is watching him. His stomach feels a little sick; with the rush of the packing for a tour with only a few hours notice and a 13 hour flight. He thinks he forgot to eat in his rush to leave.

He found Mrs. Park gone when he returned home, with a note saying she was going to lunch. He didn't have time to wait for her to say goodbye. The beautiful flowers Mr. Kim brought were displayed proudly in the center of his table and he considered bringing one of them to Binna as he stood admiring her thoughtfulness. He chose a bright red tulip from the bunch. He carefully wrapped it's stem in a wet cloth, and placed it inside a box to protect it. He holds the flower now, clutching it tightly in his hand, hoping his palms aren't sweating, and happy that the delicate flower survived the long journey.

His stomach turns over again as he steps closer to the house where a pot of little blue flowers sits just past the entry mat. He wonders if he shouldn't have brought her something more. What do you bring to someone who might be just a work colleague? What do you bring to a woman you want to stand next to for the rest of your life, working side by side with, but who may or may not feel the same? Is there a card that can say all that's in his heart? Will he be able to tell her how he feels in the face of her rejection?

She won't have heard the songs he wrote yet, so she won't recognize any hint of herself in the lyrics or empathize with the emotions of love and loss contained within them. As far as he knows, she got a call from Bang PD and was offered a chance for a great job, directing the tour documentary, something she wanted all along, something she would have fought for, even fought him for, and she might just put aside their 'past' and agree to work with him in order to take such an opportunity. His body is tense, and his muscles ache. He's exhausted from the early morning wedding, and he barely slept on the plane, his mind was so full of ideas, and questions and plans. All his plans hinge on one thing, on her. She has to decide what they are to each other, and whatever she decides, he hopes he is ready for it.

He stops in front of the door. He isn't even sure what this place is, or if she is there alone. It could be a friends house she listed as her next address. It could be a man's house, a former lover or, maybe even current. He bites his lip, unsure, for maybe the first time in his life, if he can handle what comes next. The one thing he is certain of is that he wants to see her, and when he sees her, he will know.

He steels his nerve, pausing just a moment to switch the flower to his other hand, carefully, as he pushes the button to ring the doorbell. He listens to the chime, a long series of bells, that sound oddly familiar. His brow furrows as he listens to the chime, wondering where he's heard it before. Without thinking, he presses the button, to hear it again, listening intently to the doorbell and he realizes it is the same chime he heard the day he met Binna; the chime alert on his phone that seemed to play out of nowhere and startled him into throwing his phone at her as he fell off the treadmill. His mouth drops open in disbelief as he replays the entire interaction in his mind. He shakes his head, wondering at the coincidence when he hears the door unlock, and swing open.