The Big Day

Jungkook sits at the reception table under a beautiful canopy. It's early morning, much earlier than anyone would have expected a wedding, but somehow that seems like Taehyung. He's fairly sure he wouldn't have been able to sleep at all last night, but he looks so happy spinning Hana on the dance floor in the middle of the little city park. He's like a handsome prince in his dark suit and she's the perfect princess in a white gown that shimmers under the dance floor lights. They seem to focus on only each other, as they move to the smooth sound of American jazz playing through the speakers. He stares down at her, holding her small hand in his and he kisses the ring he placed on her finger an hour earlier.

He does recognize how happy Taehyung is now, and how fulfilled his life will be, and a little part of him, deep down, realizes that he wants that for himself. He never wanted to admit it, but, he understands now, after being with Binna, what it's like to have one special person who inspires you to do better, to be better, and makes you feel like anything is possible. But he also knows how quickly things can change, and that what you think is in your future, can change with one word, one sentence, or maybe it is the absence of that one word, the refusal to say it, and then it's all gone. He looks down at his hands fiddling with the crisp linen tablecloth. He came here alone. He didn't have to come alone, but he's just not ready to think about others, not even a flirtation when it's only been a few weeks since she left. He couldn't even bring himself to flirt with the pretty new assistant sitting outside Bang PD's office. He didn't ask how the former assistant was let go, or where she is now because he's certain not to run in to her again. After some considerable time spent blaming her for driving Binna away, he realized the sad truth that Binna didn't have to leave.

She could have stayed, and gotten her job back. PD was so happy with the finished music video that he would have considered her for more work. She didn't have to leave, but yet she wanted to, it was her choice. Maybe that's the best he could have done for her, to allow her to leave on her own terms. He let go of being angry, and most of the sadness, and now he just felt the hollow of something missing in his life. He told himself that it was better for her to have left now, despite the pain it caused. In the end, if she wasn't willing to be his partner, then it's best that they go their separate ways, not drag this out, so they find a way to get on with their lives.

Maybe there will be someone out there who will make a good partner for him, but now he realizes that she will have to have all that Binna had, and she will have to be creative and talented and driven. She will have to match him measure for measure. And above all, she has to be brave, in the way that maybe Binna was not. It's important to be brave enough to take risks.

Jungkook looks up to see Namjoon and Sujin dancing with their children near by as he sits alone at the table finishing the early morning glass of champagne. Jin is laughing with Jangmi, with Yoojin strapped to his chest in a little suit that matches his fathers. He chuckles as he watches them together, laughing at their son's funny faces, and feeling connected in a way he now understands a little better than before. He wants that for himself; all of it. He's seen a future that includes that life, and includes something with deeper meaning. Eventually he can have it, but maybe now is a great time to focus on his career, and his future, at least until the tour is over.

The comeback album will be released next week, with only 8 days before their first concert. They've planned to begin the tour in Europe, and work their way west across the globe, until they reach Seoul, for their homecoming. It will be the first tour with wives and girlfriends and children in their larger family, and he knows it will be harder on some members than others. Yoongi will probably be OK without Moon, who will be working on another groups comeback. He and Jungkook can perhaps work on songs late at night, while the others are with their families, in person, or virtually. It will be strange to watch this new version of them on tour, and he wishes he could document it, for others to experience. Maybe he'll take a camera, just for him.

Hoseok sits down beside him at the table, interrupting his thoughts as he swipes a glass of champagne from near the centerpiece. He smiles broadly and sips it slowly, almost chewing it as though he's at a wine tasting. It makes Jungkook laugh and Hoseok grins knowingly.

"It's good to see you smiling Kookie-ah." He toasts him. "I was worried about you." Jungkook looks over at him, surprised.

"Huh? Me? Why?"

"Because you're here alone. I thought maybe you had a break up." Jungkook realizes he hasn't told him much that's gone on.

"Now what would make you think that?" Hoseok makes a funny expression and his lips purse as he raises an eyebrow doubtfully.

"Those songs you added, the ones you did with Moon, they're heartbreak songs." Jungkook looks over surprised. His mouth drops open a little.

"Really, I didn't plan them to be, do you really think so?" He shakes his head but he looks around at his brothers wondering if all of them think that.

"They're beautiful. ARMY will love them, but it sounds like you must have been in some pain to write them." Jungkook dismisses the idea, preferring not to revisit those feelings. Even though he knows he will have to sing those words live in dozens of performances, he hopes that maybe by putting the feelings down, making them into songs, he can distance himself from them, and eventually, they will just be another song on the set list. He recognizes how quickly the album came together with Sena producing along with Yoongi and RM. He felt a surge of creativity that had been missing in the months previous, and the ideas flowed out of him. Maybe some of them were fueled by her leaving.

"I don't know hyung. It just felt very freeing working with Sena. I got a lot out of me in our sessions, maybe old frustrations, new feelings." Hoseok nods.

"I still think it will work out with Binna." He nods. Jungkook looks at him surprised at the mention of her name.

"It's too late hyung, she's gone." Hoseok shakes his head. 

"I don't know how it will work out, it's a mystery. But I just have hope that it will." His smile warms Jungkook, who could almost believe him, if she hadn't chosen to run almost 6000 miles to get away from him.

"Someday, maybe. I think I'm ready for that in my life." He blushes as he admits this out loud.

"Yeah, our little maknae is growing up," he teases, running his hand over Jungkook's head playfully. Jungkook laughs and pushes his hand away.

"It had to happen sooner or later." Hoseok looks over at Jimin dancing with Dasom nearby.

"Do you think they will be next?" he asks. Jungkook turns to look at them. They do look happy, but he knows it isn't always so easy for them, and they've been engaged for most of the last year with no date set. Jimin hasn't wanted to talk about it but he senses there are problems they are working through.

"I don't know hyung. What about you? I heard you might be seeing someone." He smiles at him and Hoseok arches his eyebrow, attempting to frown.

"Don't believe everything you hear," he says, but the smile creeping up seems to suggest otherwise. Jungkook narrows his gaze at him, wondering if there is something to share and he leans in hoping to get the full story.  The phone in his pocket begins to buzz, interrupting them. Hoseok looks a little relieved by the interruption as JK struggles to pull the phone out, embarrassed, as he tries to silence it. He looks to see that no one has noticed before he looks at the screen and is surprised. It's his housekeeper calling. He scrunches up his face wondering why Mrs. Park would be calling him. He excuses himself from the table, nodding to Hoseok who uses the chance to step away. Jungkook walks to the edge of the canopy tent for privacy as he answers the phone.

"Mrs. Park? What's wrong?"