Risk

Bang PD sits at his desk watching the small monitor in his large hands closely. Across the desk, standing at attention in a line, are Jungkook, HaChoon and his boss. Jimin sits behind them in one of the comfy chairs near a small bookcase. He came to support Jungkook, but his energy is fading from the long day on set and in the studio, and he isn't sure how much longer he can stay awake, the soju and the excitement might also be wearing him down now at such a late hour. Jungkook stands rigidly, eager to hear what PD will say. HaChoon's boss shifts his weight nervously, perhaps expecting trouble. PD makes a sort of grunt noise and nods his head once. He sets the monitor down and removes his thin framed glasses, rubbing his eyes.

Jungkook watches him carefully, trying to read his expression. He glances over at HaChoon who seems to be sweating a little. Jungkook frowns. He has to say something. He has to end their wait. He opens his mouth to speak boldly.

"PDnim-" He quickly holds up one finger, silencing Jungkook. He looks back down at the monitor.

"This footage, shows So Yeon take the phone from Jee Binna's bag, and look through it. It shows her possibly texting someone. But, how does it show that she sent the footage to Dispatch?" The Head of Security clears his throat.

"PD nim, the leak was text at 914pm, I have checked the text from the Dispatch reporters phone and it showed the time stamp. The timecode on this footage shows 914. The timecode is the running time of the footage which runs continuously, consecutively and-"

"I know what timecode is Jung." PD interrupts him. "I'm aware it shows the same time. What I don't understand is how the phone would have the footage already." Jungkook looks back at Jimin quickly and they exchange glances. HaChoon looks at his boss confused. "You told me that Jee Binna took the footage from the edit suite back to her office. When did she have time to do that?" Jung nervously looks around the room.

"Sir, we had the CCTV of her taking the drive back to her office, in the middle of the night. I'm afraid we did not check the time of the text. When we found the footage of her, well, this act was against company policy and was covert. She was hiding something as she took the drive. We did not think we had to look further into the matter." He looks directly ahead, away from PD, as if to stand his ground. HaChoon hangs his head. PD's expression changes from tired disbelief to anger.

"You had the time stamp of the text and it did not fit the footage you showed me to prove her guilt." He says, louder than expected and everyone stiffens.

"Sir, the footage was shown first and pointed to her. The phone you retrieved from her had the evidence buried in recently deleted messages."

"And you didn't find evidence of where the footage came from that was sent as a text? You didn't look to see if she had the footage? Or, when she had the footage? This is very sloppy work Jung," he scolds.

"PD, it isn't their fault. Binna did get the drive and take it to her office, to remove something from the drive." He looks back to the security guards. He leans closer to PD. "Can we speak privately about this?" he asks softly. PD nods and looks over at them.

"Jung, Song, you can go now. We may need to discuss this further but for now, say nothing." They both bow quickly, bending low as they back toward the door. Jimin stands.

"I'm going to go home too." Jungkook turns to him looking worried. He leans close to pat him on the shoulder. "You can do it, he will understand," he whispers. Jungkook nods and faces PD as he says goodbye to Jimin. He studies Jungkook's nervous disposition.

"I think maybe you have the other puzzle piece Jungkook. Would you please sit down, and share with me what you've perhaps known all along." Jungkook drops to the chair across from PD, feeling the weight of the last few days bearing down on him. PD waits for him to begin.

He stammers, trying to find a way to say what needs to be said, but it feels a little like he's been caught, like he's disappointed him, and that's a hard feeling to come to terms with. He would never want to disappoint PD. He doesn't want to admit he's broken company rules, but he's done it, in fact countless times, and it never meant anything to him to do it, until now. PD sighs heavily.

"How long have you and Jee Binna been having a relationship?" Jungkook looks up, eyes wide, mouth open, and he wonders how he could have guessed this so quickly. PD watches him squirm and then he smiles, chuckling a little. He shakes his head. Jungkook has no words to explain himself. He hopes this hasn't ruined everything he's worked to do for Binna. Having to admit what they did was his last resort to clear her name but he knows it might still mean that she can no longer work for the company.

***

"Your turn Miss Jee," Mr. Kim says to her in English. He indicates the Scrabble board between them, with four or five words they each made. She shakes off the thoughts in her mind as she examines her letters. "Are you thinking about him?" Binna blushes and tries to laugh it off.

"Who?" Mr. Kim chuckles.

"The man you're filling the board with." He points at her words; loss, ache, need, love. She frowns as she looks at the array of words she chose and her eyes meet his across the board, filled with a quick panic at feeling exposed. She pulls back from the word she was going to place on the board. He smiles at her as she bites her lip, her brow furrowed. "So you love him?" She waves off the idea.

"Jungkook? I really barely know him. Besides, even if I wasn't leaving we would not be allowed to stay together. But I am leaving, tomorrow." She puts down her letters, spelling 'hurt' with a firm nod, oblivious to the meaning behind it. He eyes the word and smirks, realizing, better than she does, what is in her heart.

"Why?" He looks over his letter options.

"Because we can't be in a relationship if we work for the same company." She explains.

"No I meant why are you leaving?" He stops trying to find a word and watches her.

"I can't work for the company anymore, something happened and I will not find work easily here." He nods.

"Yes you told me that but why are you really leaving?" She looks up at him quizzically, unsure what to say. He shrugs. "It's easy enough for me to see that you don't want to leave, and maybe that you want to stay with him." Binna dismisses the idea outright and begins to sort through her letters.

"Please forgive me but you don't know anything about my situation. I need to leave, because there is nothing for me if I stay," she says, beginning to place some letters on the board. He shakes his head as he smiles.

"Miss Jee," she looks up at him. "It's still my turn," he reminds her. She blushes and removes her letters.

He slowly begins to place his letters down onto the board, building off of her word 'hurt.' He lays them each neatly and straightens them. She watches the letters appear one by one and she looks up at him, tears beginning to flood her eyes. She stares hard at the word "r-i-s-k" and looks up at him. He smiles at her knowingly. She says nothing, unable to find the words to reject this idea. He sighs.

"It's hard, to be brave. It's hard to take a chance, to be vulnerable. But it's worth it Jee BinNa. The risk is worth it." She swallows hard and tries to hold back her tears but they overpower her and stream down her flushed cheeks. He reaches into his pocket and removes a soft embroidered handkerchief. He hands it to her to dry her tears. She takes it, sniffling as she wipes her eyes.

"Why didn't I spend time talking to you when I still lived here," she teases as she dries her eyes. He laughs.

"Oh, do you not live upstairs? Are you a figment of my imagination? I've never played scrabble with a figment of my imagination before. Well, perhaps only with my wife." She smiles up at him, letting go of her embarrassment. He nods. "Maybe we can finish our game tomorrow." He says in an unspecific promise. He yawns and she stands, realizing how late it is. "It was nice playing the game with you Miss Jee. I hope we can do this again sometime." He slowly rises from his chair and moves toward his front door. She walks behind him thinking about all that he's told her. They stop in the doorway.

"Thank you Mr.Kim, I do hope I see you again someday." She leans over and kisses his cheek. He blushes.

"Oh my, you will. I'm sure you will."