Missed Connections

Bang PD sits across from Jungkook, media cards in hand as he turns them over and over, staring at them. His face is heavy with concern, and tired from the late hour and the long day.  Jungkook is silent, waiting for his verdict. After playing enough of the media card back to prove exactly what Binna was trying to remove when she took the footage, he knows he is in trouble, but he knows a fatherly scolding is the least of his worries. PD is now deciding whether there is any point in rehiring Binna after so many infractions. So many of them caused by Jungkook. He struggles with his thoughts; If he had left her alone, if he hadn't pursued her, she might have been able to remain his producer. He could have denied the feelings he had, the desire he had, and she would still be here now, probably planning to be part of the edit of the music video tomorrow and not planning her next job move. He frowns as he thinks of the guilt he feels and he sighs heavily, forgetting himself in front of his boss.

PD's eyes suddenly look up to him, signaled by Jungkook's sigh and they each try to read the thoughts in silent study. Jungkook shifts uncomfortably, having difficulty maintaining eye contact under the weight of his perceived mistakes.  PD looks down at the media cards again, and then reaches to the side of his desk for a slip of paper on his personalized stationary. He sets the cards down and begins to write something. Jungkook watches him curiously, unsure what he's doing. He puts down his pen, and looks back up at Jungkook as he folds the paper in half and hands it to him. Jungkook understands in some unspoken agreement that he is not to look at it, not yet.

PD stands up, forcing Jungkook to follow him up. He walks toward his office door and Jungkook stares at his back as he opens the door and stands next to it, waiting for the younger to pass through. A tear wells up in his eye as he wonders what PD is thinking, what he's planning. He slowly begins to walk toward him, stopping just as he passes through the door and turning his head to him. He makes a sound that might indicate he's about to speak and Jungkook watches him closely.

"It's very late, and I have much to do," he says. Jungkook turns his body fully around to face him just as he begins to slowly close his door. He speaks up.

"Thank you, PD. Thank you," he manages to utter just as the door is shut on him. Jungkook exhales deeply. Almost as if he's been holding his breath for the last 30 minutes he sat across from him revealing all he had kept from him. He looks around the empty outer office and sees the neatly arranged desk of the assistant, feeling sick at the sight of her desk and her playful figurines on the computer monitor.  He would never have expected someone to be so cruel, and to nearly cost him so much. He can feel the tear rolling down over his cheek and he reaches the back of his hand up to wipe it away, surprising himself with the folded paper clasped between his fingers. He looks back at the closed office door and then at the paper in his hand. 

He takes a deep breath and then he opens the paper. PD's handwriting is quick and angular, and he's written only one line; 

330 Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu

It's an address, in Hongdae. It's her address. His eyes flood with tears as he realizes what he has, and what PD has given him. He looks back at the door, wondering for a moment if he can thank him or hug him even, but he realizes what he wants him to do. He smiles broadly, wiping the tears away as he rushes out of the office and toward the elevator. He has her address. He can see her again, he can tell her what he's done, and fix this for her. He nervously calls for a car to take him across the river, toward her apartment. As the elevator doors close he looks up at the security camera tucked into the far corner, hidden, but ever watchful, and he smiles, bowing his head, in gratitude.

***

Binna left Mr. Kim's apartment and headed straight to her original destination, the last run through her neighborhood, to say goodbye to it. No one in her neighborhood is accustomed to people running for exercise at night, and the busier streets are usually filled with loud students or people frequenting the local restaurants and shopping mall, so she sticks to the quiet residential streets where the only thing she will encounter is a neighbor walking a dog, and perhaps cars trying to park. She runs in her usual direction, east, towards the office. Although she never actually ran to work, knowing she had to be put together and presentable at all times while in the office, and knowing that she could use the excellent gym facilities there during off hours.

She frowns as she reminds herself of the first day she met Jungkook, not entirely sure he was 'Jungkook' as he lay awkwardly half on and half off the treadmill behind her. Her first instinct was to come to his aid because looked so helpless lying on the floor with a dazed expression. She thought it had been an accident, until she recognized him. Once she was sure it was the infamous Jeon Jungkook lying at her feet, she had heard enough of the stories from women who worked for HYBE to assume it was no accident. She knew that he was an incurable flirt and that his attention did not mean he was in anyway interested or serious. She wanted him to understand how little his stunt effected her, and how in control she was of her reaction to him.  She was no giddy school girl ready to flutter her eyelashes at his every pose. She dismissed him immediately as playing a game, and she didn't like his game. Poised and clear, she let him know that she was not interested.

"Ugh!" she groans at the memory of it. She shakes her head as she turns onto another street, carefully avoiding people on the narrow walkway and she picks up her pace a little. He was definitely attractive, and she can understand why so many women react to him, and would do anything for his attention. But they couldn't have felt more than a passing fancy. They didn't truly know him. She smiles a little, her expression softening. They didn't really understand that when he looks at you, with a look of real desire, that you are swept away by a feeling; like you are the only person in the world that matters to him in that instant. It makes you feel special, and the warmth of the feeling had fueled her continuously, for days, without him. If she could never have anything else from him; never feel his strong arms wrapped around her making her feel safe and protected, never hear his giggles at embarrassing moments or see his nose crinkle up when he can't hold back his laughter, if she had to give up all of those memories, she could, if only she could keep the memory of how he looked so deeply into her soul and made her feel complete.

She stops abruptly on the pavement, gasping to catch her breath after running too quickly up the hill. She rests her hands on her knees and drops her head as she pants, trying to regain control. She exhales deeply, realizing she's fighting a tear she does not want to let out. She squeezes her eyes shut tightly as if the act will squash the feelings, and keep them buried. She reaches over to lean her hand against the rough surface of the wall around a building as she tries to lift herself to stand upright. She has to fight this feeling because she won't get to have any of it, not anymore. She must forget, and move on.