Chapter 4

"Tommy, explain to me what happened again— and don't leave out any details."

The boy shivered under his brother's scrutinizing glare, stuttering for a few seconds before once again explaining the events that led to this moment. He was pulling his fingers with every ticking second, doing his best to recount every moment replaying in his mind. When he finished, his brother let out a loud sigh, rubbing his forehead harshly.

"So, what you're saying is you lost Tyche in a game of hide and seek?"

"Yes and she just disappeared! Well, I guess that's the point of the game—anyway, I called out for her and even broke the bet we made but she never came out of hiding.

Clenching his teeth, his brother dug his nails into his own palm. It was difficult not to swing at the blonde boy in front of him but he knew that it would only cause more problems.

"I'm sure she's still out there Techno," Tommy claimed, trying his best to ease his brother's worries.

"We already checked Tommy!" Technoblade shouted, his anger getting the best of him as he slammed his fist on the arm of his chair.

Tommy jolted at his outburst, taking a quick step backward and shrinking into himself. As prideful and confident as he is, seeing Techno that angry would strip anyone of their courage. Technoblade took another deep breath, closing his eyes for a few seconds.

"The guards have already thoroughly searched within a 50 chunk radius of where you lost her."

Tommy gulped, eyes carefully following Techno's movements.

"There's no reasonable explanation of why she would go missing like that unless there's another party involved. That being said, I need you to go back to the overworld and inform Phil of her disappearance."

Tommy nodded, although his curiosity (and big mouth) still got the better of him. "Why wouldn't you go?"

Techno tilted his head and rolled his eyes at the boy. "Because you're human, Tommy. If any of this does have to do with people in the overworld, then obviously someone like me would raise suspicion. Not to mention, if you just kept an eye on her like you were supposed to, none of this would have happened."

Tommy bit his tongue, nodding again firmly at his brother's explanation.

"I'll provide you all the potions and golden apples you want, just please help me this one time."

Tommy's heart stopped, eyes blowing wide at his plea. He already knew that the situation was serious but actually hearing those words fall from Techno's lips seemed to make it more real. After all, it wasn't every day that the blood god said please.

•••

Tyche was unlike anyone you met before. The more you talked to her, the more unfiltered she was. She was like a little ball of fire, both in her sassy comments and passion for certain subjects. For a 9-year-old, she seemed very educated, especially in the English language, and had no problems teaching piglin. She was very enthusiastic about talking about the nether and seemed to love it whenever you served her baked potatoes.

Even with such an age difference between the two of you, you felt like she was slowly becoming a good friend and you almost felt protective of her. You knew that if she were ever in danger, you'd be there in an instant. Maybe it was because the relationship reminded you of the one you had with your parents... or maybe it was just because Tyche didn't treat you differently like everyone else did.

Today, you decided to get her out of her room and take her to the garden. It was mid-afternoon, the sun glaring down on you. Not many were outside because of the immense heat, one reason why you decided to take Tyche outside today. Tyche was used to the heat and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, fewer people meant fewer rumors. You didn't want Tyche to be involved in any sort of drama in the mansion but, at the same time, you didn't want to keep her cooped up in her room all day every day.