Chapter 28

He felt terrible. Sunken eyes and pale skin highlighted the effects of his nonexistent sleeping schedule. Technoblade was suffering, to say the least, but he didn't want to talk to anyone about it. He couldn't. Especially not with his reputation in the fortress, and especially not with the circumstances they're in now.

Trying to ignore it didn't do any good for him either. No matter how much he tried, it would always wear on him. It was always nagging at the back of his mind, always lurking in the darkest corner, ready to strike when he was the most vulnerable. And, apparently, it had deemed him vulnerable the past few nights.

The uncertainty of his father's whereabouts was taking a toll on him. For one of the first times, he wasn't sure what to do. It felt like he lost Tyche all over again, but this time he lost his father. He knew that Phil was more than capable of taking care of himself but the thought that he could be out there, alone, and needing help made Technoblade stay wide awake at night.

He was supposed to be back already. He was supposed to walk through those doors with a smile on his face and laugh about the journey he had to get here. He was supposed to tell them that he was safe. But alas, there was nothing. No reassurance, no comfort. Just cold silence.

Technoblade made an early trip to the kitchen, knowing that there was no way he'd be able to sleep before he went back to work. To survive, he'd have to have a nice meal and something to drink. When Technoblade walked in, Wilbur was already standing at the island with a mug of coffee in hand, steadily taking large sips of it.

"Coffee?" He offered, motioning to the coffee maker that still had some leftover.

Technoblade graciously took the offer, knowing that his body would thank him for it. Normally, he would only stick to tea but his body needed an extra boost this morning.

"Why are you up so early?" Wilbur hummed.

"Couldn't sleep."

Technoblade wasn't going to lie to his brother, he knew that would be useless. Wilbur would be able to see right through him.

"What's on your mind?"

The hybrid sighed, not meeting the eyes of his brother. He felt shameful, embarrassed of his worries about Phil. His dad was a grown man, fully capable of taking care of himself. So why was he so bothered by this?

Technoblade dances around the question, not fully confident in what he truly wanted to ask. "How's the overworld been?"

Wilbur narrowed his eyes, piercing into the side of Technoblade's head. Despite the urge to ask Technoblade what was really going on, he answered nonchalantly, "It's been pretty normal except for the fact that a human snuck through the Nether portal."

Technoblade's head shot up. So, the royals did know you went through the portal.

"Are they upset about it?"

"I'm sure they are but I don't stick around long enough to find out."

"How's Phil doing?"

From the change in tone in Technoblade's voice, Wilbur could tell this is what he wanted to ask this whole time.

"I assume he's doing well. I haven't heard from him in a while."

That was not what Technoblade wanted to hear. He could feel the panic rising in his chest but he pushed it back, willing the voices to quiet down so he could think.

"When you passed by the capital, did you hear anything about him?"

"What are you trying to get at?" Wilbur finally asked, tired of Technoblade beating around the bush.