Battle of Lotus Pier

Yu Ziyuan was watching the boat she had just sent away disappear in the distance and she finally let her tears fall. She did not know if she would ever see the children again. Her precious little boys, so full of youth which had just been stripped away from them because the war was coming, there was no denying it now.

She pitied them, they would have to grow up fast to face the coming storm. Even the notorious troublemaker she had never really forged a close relationship with, would he still be able to be as reckless and untamed as he had been until now? Would he still be able to smile if he would survive the war? She hoped for the best but feared the worst.

If, yes, that was fitting. No one could now be sure of their life, they could all be dead in a matter of minutes. She could hear the disciples screaming in the distance and noises of a battle coming closer. She really needed to get a hold of herself. In the absence of Jiang Fengmian, the sect leader, she was the one who needed to lead the sect. She could not stay here and worry about what would become of the children. They would be safe, she had to believe that.

Wiping with one hand at her tears, she swiftly turned around, her robes flapping around her as she run back towards the centre of Lotus Pier. Although she had expected to see a battle, the sight still froze her for a second. There were so many Qishan Wen sect soldiers in the main courtyard. It almost seemed like the whole place had turned red; only occasional speck of purple could be seen as the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciples were finding themselves completely overwhelmed. Blood had already stained the stone floor.

Since Yu Ziyuan had given Zidian to Jiang Cheng and her spiritual sword was back in her rooms, she reached out for the closest weapon she could find and threw herself into the chaos of the battle. She was like a goddess of war, striking down everyone in her wake and steadily progressing towards the sect hall where she intended to make a stand until all the disciple joined her. It would be a fitting place to have her life ended there, thinking about all the moments she had spent there with her husband and her children.

While she was fighting, she did not stop calling for all the remaining Yunmeng Jiang sect disciples to come with her. Her voice was carrying loud and clear, if only a little breathless. All the still alive disciples came to her and there were so few of them! The Yunmeng Jiang sect was truly falling. She wondered if it would have been different should her husband be here with her. But then again, she was happy he was not, at least someone would survive and be able to resurrect the sect.

She and her thinning entourage made it to the entrance of the sect hall and Yu Ziyuan ordered them: "Go! Use the emergency exits and warn everyone. Try to get as any people as possible to evacuate. I will hold the Wens here for the time being."

The disciples were looking at her in utter horror but the urgency in her voice made them finally move as she shouted in the same way she had done countless times during trainings: "Go! Now!"

And then she was alone, facing a sea of red. Her vision was blurry from her earlier tears and from all the effort she had just deployed. It took her a while to understand that the Wen soldiers around her stopped attacking and one figure came forward, bowing to her in respect. It was Wen Zhuliu.

She was getting ready to confront him, no matter if she was already exhausted and barely keeping herself on her feet. She would protect her sect, she had to give the disciples as much time as she could so they could evacuate.

Suddenly, the main gate which had been for some reason closed until then flew open. Yu Ziyuan almost fell down in relief. Her husband and a few other disciples were standing in the door, overlooking the situation with stern looks. Her heart was overflowing with happiness even in this kind of situation that she was able to see her beloved for one last time. At the same time however, she wanted to weep and beg him to run away, the battle seemed already lost and her life all but forfeit, just as his now.

She watched as Jiang Fengmian's features become harder and he raised his sword higher, ready to join the battle, calling for her: "My Lady!"

She could see emotions in his eyes, something she was not really used to and it took her by surprise. She smiled and her gesture was returned. For a split second, she felt like the world around her stopped existing, it was just her and her husband, looking longingly at each other as never before.

She wanted to tell him so many things, to let him know that despite her harsh words and attitude, she loved him and he was the only one for her. She wanted to apologize for all the times she started pointless arguments and chased him away from her. She wanted to tell him that all those times she shouted angrily to his face that he loved Cangse Sanren more than her, she did not really mean it, she had just been hurt by all the rumours flying around.

She realized that she should have said all that sooner, they would probably both die in a matter of minutes. She had lost so many opportunities she wanted to cry. But no matter, she at least had this one second when their eyes were still in direct contact, as if they could see into each other's souls. She had to say at least the most important part before she would not be able to anymore.

She moved her lips, her voice locked away because those words were meant only for Jiang Fengmian and no one else: "I love you." Her husband's eyes went incredibly wide and then his lips moved in the same fashion, his face adorned with a gentle smile.

Their perfect moment, first since their marriage, got interrupted when all hell broke loose around them. The Wen sect soldiers started attacking again and she had her hands full fighting the Core Melting Hand. She lost sight of her husband and could only pray for him to be save, no matter how unlikely it was given their current situation.

She did not know how long it lasted, after a while all she could think about was how the sword she had picked up was getting heavier and heavier, until she found it hard to raise it again. Fatigue was dulling her senses and she knew she had been injured in several places, although she did not have time to worry about that, not right now when she still could fight.

Suddenly, pain erupted in her back and she fell forward. She tried to turn around but there was someone holding her down. The sword fell onto the ground, far away from her reach. The world around her stilled, there was no more fighting to be heard, only deathly silence reigned above Lotus Pier.

She noticed a speck of purple on the ground next to her. She managed to focus her eyes and saw that it was in fact her husband. He was covered in blood and his eyes were half closed. There was a Wen sect soldier holding a foot on his back. Even so, Jiang Fengmian reached out his hand, torturously slowly, as if he was already dying and wanted this to be his last feat on this earth.

Yu Ziyuan did the same and their fingers interlaced. She had never felt this happy in all her life. She stopped struggling and let her tears fall freely, squeezing her husband's hand softly. Then everything became black and her consciousness left her.