Too much love

Today, Jiang Cheng got some spare time during his sect leader duties and he decided to go join Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji for a lunch. He had long accepted the fact that his brother was nowadays almost never alone as the Second Jade spent practically every waking minute in his room. After the first unfortunate revelation during the time when Jiang Yanli had to take him to the kitchen so he could calm himself down with her soup, he was now pretty fine with the knowledge that Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji felt something romantic for each other.

Perhaps the fact that he was now bolder after visiting Wen Qing a few times and hesitantly proposing to court her helped. She had accepted with grace and immediately started telling him what exactly he should do because apparently, he had gone about the whole thing in a wrong way. Not that he minded too much, he was actually grateful for the not so subtle hints. After all, he loved that straightforward and honest attitude of hers.

Immediately after he had gotten her permission, he went to inform his parents and wrote a letter to Nie Mingjue as Wen Qing was now one of the disciples of the Qinghe Nie sect. With everything settled and permissions obtained, together with some congratulation, he was now officially courting as well. Though in a far less obvious and lovesick way than his brother. Nevertheless, he wished Wei Wuxian only the best.

He was already close to his brother's room when he realized that he could hear Wei Wuxian's voice from a little distance away. It did not sound as if his brother was obediently recovering inside as he had been told to. It did not surprise him in the slightest, he had known that Wei Wuxian would not take it well if they tried to confide him in any way, he just did not expect for it to happen this soon.

He was ready to scold his brother for not resting properly, Wen Qing had yet to proclaim him fully healed and ready to resume his previous life. He however stopped frozen solid when he came into the courtyard in front of his brother's room and saw what was happening there.

A table was set in the middle of it and four people were sitting around it, having a meal. It took Jiang Cheng a while to process the image but then he stormed out, ready to confront anyone who was endangering Wei Wuxian's health, even thought that list contained his brother's name right on the top position.

Wei Wuxian spotted him first and had a panicked expression on his face before he quickly hid it behind a sheepish smile. Jiang Cheng did not like what he was seeing. His brother should never look panicked like that. He wondered for a second what he had been so afraid of. Did he just not want to be scolded or was there something else behind it? Jiang Cheng could not tell and it was making him nervous. He did not want to be a person that his brother was afraid of.

Then, Wei Wuxian recovered and stoop up – without any apparent difficulty, noticed the Yunmeng Jiang sect leader – waving his hand at him in an inviting gesture and clearing a bit of space by his side: "Jiang Cheng! Happy to see you. Do you want to join us for a lunch?"

"Wei Wuxian, what are you doing up and around, outside of your room? You are still recovering!" Jiang Cheng scolded despite himself. Old habits died slowly.

At least he was relieved when his brother did not get that panicked look in his eyes again and pouted in pretence instead: "Jiang Cheng... I am well now. And it is boring to stay in my room all the time." He looked at the two disciples who had been supposed to guard him and Lan Wangji and then added: "It was my idea; the others were just keeping me company."

It saddened Jiang Cheng to see that even after everything he had went through, Wei Wuxian was still ready to throw himself in the line of fire when it came to protecting someone else. He still valued his life and safety too little. That was why Jiang Cheng had entrusted the duty to look after him and prevent him from doing something reckless to Lan Wangji. But apparently, the Second Jade had been more than happy to betray that trust.

It was Lan Wangji who stood now and took Wei Wuxian's hand into his, squeezing it lightly. "Wei Ying did not do anything wrong. I asked him to have lunch with me."

That was all that Jiang Cheng could really take. All the more that upon hearing that statement, Wei Wuxian looked at Lan Wangji like a lovesick puppy and the Second Jade returned his gaze. It really was too much to look at.

Jiang Cheng turned his eyes away and searched for something else to pick his attention so he would not have to think about those lovebirds anymore. He and Wen Qing were surely not that obvious and scandalizing. They were very proper, both of them.

His eyes found the two disciples who were still sitting down with their heads lowered. It was clear that they were feeling uncomfortable about their failure to abide with their orders. Yes, they had failed in keeping Wei Wuxian safely inside his room. Then again, Jiang Cheng was not really all that angry at them, he could understand, he would have also had a hard time keeping his brother confined.

Still, his mood was sour now and he had to blame someone for it. "You two," he started his scolding, his voice sharp, the same one he was using as the sect leader, "why did you not say anything to me? Do you realize that something could have happened? Do you even know what threat..."

Jiang Cheng stopped himself abruptly before he would say too much. He did not want his brother to know about the threat on his life which Jin Guangshan and Jiang Guangyao represented. It was better to deal with it on his own, together with Nie Huisang's help, than to have Wei Wuxian do something foolish if he would think that he had to protect their family and the Yunmeng Jiang sect.

The disciples sagged their heads even lower in shame. They knew what dangers Wei Wuxian was running even in Lotus Pier and they were also aware that they had been supposed to keep him safe.

Everyone spoke at once after Jiang Cheng's little outburst, luckily, Wei Wuxian seemed to have picked up on a part of the statement which was less inconvenient in the long run.

"Sorry, Sect Leader Jiang."

"Jiang Cheng, it was not their fault..."

"Wei Ying..."

However, they all stopped abruptly at the same time as well, apparently not wanting to interrupt the others. An uncomfortable silence fell upon the courtyard. Jiang Cheng sighed as he watched each of them in turn. They all looked apologetic and he guessed that the reasons, while slightly different, were all the same. They felt bad for disobeying and were wanting to take all the blame for themselves.

"Alright," Jiang Cheng did his best for his voice to sound authoritative but not angry anymore, "you two, go back to your posts. Wei Wuxian, go inside and stay there for the rest of the time your body needs to recover. And I mean it, no sneaking out before Wen Qing gives you an all clear check on your health. Remember, you need to be more careful now. And Lan Wangji," Jiang Cheng looked at the Second Jade intently, "you should really keep a better eye on him given the situation."

Jiang Cheng's scowl shot up and down when he felt a small hand being placed on his shoulder. He had been sure it was Jiang Yanli, trying to mediate the conflict. But only until a quiet voice whispered into his ear: "Jiang Cheng, do not be like that. You will get a heart attack one day. You should come to my room this evening if you are free."

Jiang Cheng turned on his heel to see who was still holding him. He had already recognized the voice but he wanted to check nevertheless.

Of course, it was Wen Qing. She was standing face to face with him now and one of her eyebrows was raised in a very suggestive gesture. There was no doubt in Jiang Cheng's mind as to why she was inviting him to her room. It was the first time too. He felt warmth being born in his chest and suddenly, he did not know what to do with himself.

His mind was already at that point in time, a few hours into the future, and he only barely registered that Wen Qing took his hand into hers and was now dragging him into his brother's room. "Come," she prompted the other two love birds, "I need to examine you, Wei Wuxian."