Departure for Lotus Pier

The very next morning, Jiang Yanli was standing beside a carriage which would take her, her mother and Wei Wuxian back to Lotus Pier. Despite the fact that her brother was barely out of immediate danger and did not need to have spiritual energy passed being passed to him continually in order to keep him alive anymore, she would still not advise for him to travel, not for another few days, or weeks if it was up to her.

Wen Qing, who Jiang Yanli had heard much about had also checked up on him and praised her for her efforts. Nevertheless, when the question of travelling came up, she did not say anything, only scowled and remained silent, her dissatisfaction clear in her eyes.

However, there was no helping it. With the situation being as it was and the threat of assassins or Lanling Jin sect coming for Wei Wuxian, they had to get him somewhere safer. Not just in an airy tent where defence would be extremely difficult but behind the walls of his home where the resurrected Yunmeng Jiang sect would take care of him and protect him.

It seemed like the atmosphere regarding Wei Wuxian had changed from one second to another in the camp. Jiang Yanli did not really notice anything too out of place, but she could just sense it. Perhaps It was the way everyone was looking at her or the fact that people stopped whispering when she was passing by them. It could have also been because there were suddenly a lot of strange people gathering around their tent and asking to see Wei Wuxian. It was definitely not safe here.

Jiang Cheng and Jiang Fengmian would stay in the camp and continue to monitor the situation and try to smooth any conflicts and answer any question. They could not afford to have suspicion laid on them for running away. No, they were definitely not running away, Jiang Yanli would have stood between Wei Wuxian and anyone who wished to hurt him without a second thought, however, her brother needed rest and it could not with good conscience be called calm here right now.

Once Wei Wuxian was inside the carriage, laid as comfortably as it was possible under the circumstances, Jiang Yanli and Wen Qing got inside together with him. Lan Wangji, Yu Ziyuan and Jin Zixuan would be riding on horses together with a small battalion of Yunmeng Jiang sect disciples to provide protection on the road. Jiang Yanli hoped that everything would be fine and they would soon be back in Lotus Pier.

Jiang Cheng and Jiang Fengmian came to wish them safe travels and she knew they would need it. Who knew if there were already assassins or people who wanted to kidnap Wei Wuxian for their own benefit already on their tracks. Anyone could be under suspicion at the moments and Jiang Yanli could not help herself to scowl whenever someone approached too much. It would be a hard journey, at least in the department of vigilance if nothing else.

They departed without an incident before morning sun came up onto the horizon, not unnoticed but at least unbothered. At the time when the people in the camp would be getting up, they were already some distance away.

Luckily, because of whatever deity or grace, nothing happened for the first part of the journey and Jiang Yanli started to slowly relax. After a while, she had even authorised Lan Wangji to travel in the carriage for a while to be able to pass some more spiritual energy to Wei Wuxian. Needless to say that the Second Jade was more than happy to oblige.

She could tell that there definitely was something between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. She already knew that her brother had been smitten with the Second Jade even before this all had started, and now she could see that the esteemed Hanguang-Jun apparently felt the same when it came to Wei Wuxian. Jiang Yanli suspected that they had not yet had time to talk about their mutual feelings and show them in any other way, it would be hardly improbable that they had had such worries during the time of war and with everything that had happened this last week.

She hoped that once Wei Wuxian would wake up, he would be happy that Lan Wangji would be staying in Lotus Pier for a while. Despite being appointed as his so called supervisor, she was sure that the Second Jade would never do anything to hurt her brother, he would protect him. And they needed all hands right now just for that purpose. Not even talking about the fact that Lotus Pier and the Yunmeng Jiang sect were still being rebuilt and that her brother would need a lot of support and care until he would fully recover. Without a golden core, the process would most probably not be a quick one despite all Wen Qing's expertise and her best efforts.

She had talked with Wen Qing a lot during the travel since they rode in the same carriage, keeping an eye on Wei Wuxian's condition at all times. Jiang Yanli had been a little bit surprised when the Dafan Wen clan doctor asked her to be called Wen Qing instead of Nie Qing. But she quickly realized that should she be in her place, Jiang Yanli would have wanted to conserve the name of her family as well. At least in the eyes of those closest to her. It was not like the Dafan Wen clan doctor had anything to be ashamed about. After all, it had been her brother and Wen Qing's medicines which had kept Wei Wuxian alive during the days of his captivity in the Nightless City palace.

Her brother was in good hands. Although nothing hinted on the state of the mind which Wei Wuxian would experience once waking up, she was confident that they would be able to deal with that as well. She had heard from Jiang Cheng about what had happened in the Nightless City palace and how close they had been to losing their bother.

She knew that Wei Wuxian had successfully controlled the Yin iron, but the most important question was if there were any after effects for him because of that. She feared that the evil relic could have influenced him in same way. She shook her head resolutely, she should not be thinking about this right now, not when she could not confirm anything anyway. They would just have to wait for her brother to wake up to find out.

Even if there would be something wrong with Wei Wuxian's state of mind, she was confident that they would be able to deal with it. They were a family after all, and family was supposed to provide support and love for each other. Now that even her parents seemed to have come around and realized how they have wronged her brother, she knew that they were all in this together.

They would do their best to help Wei Wuxian recover by any means possible and to live in peace from now on, without any burdens of expectations. That was the least he deserved after putting his life on the line to save all of them.