What are you doing, Wei Wuxian!?

Jiang Cheng was watching his brother's back slowly getting further and further away from him. If his hand were not tied and he was not being held down by the guards, he would have immediately run after Wei Wuxian and stop him. He did not really know what he would have done after that, if he would scold his brother for leaving him despite promising to always stay by his side, if he would try to stop him, if he would beg for him to not go.

He must have heard wrong, there was no way that Wei Wuxian was really wanting to join Wen Ruohan. There must have been some kind of a mistake, it just could not be; demonic cultivator or not, his brother could not just leave like that. He had not even said a proper goodbye! And he had even lost his golden core? And without Jiang Cheng noticing anything at all? No, he shook his head, he did not want to think about this right now, not before confirming that Wen Zhuliu had been mistaken and it was all just part of Wei Wuxian's plan. It must have been just some kind of a trick.

Yes, this all certainly must have been just a part of the rescue plan, he would not accept any other option. Any second now, Wei Wuxian would look back and give them his usual wink and a silly smile and some kind of a signal to run. Yes, that must have been it.

However, nothing like that happened and Wei Wuxian was already kneeling at the feet of the Qishan Wen sect leader's throne again. The only one who had turned back to them was Wen Chao. The second heir to the Qishan Wen sect was watching them with a triumphant expression full of disdain and mockery. Luckily, he did not say a word about their predicament and only went to join his father's side.

Jiang Cheng was still very much in shock, his mouth completely sealed although thousands of words wanted to make it out. The rest of his family did not seem to be better off, even his mother who normally could not stand Wei Wuxian was now silently sobbing just like the rest of them.

What hurt the most was not the realization that his brother really wanted to join Wen Ruohan as it would seem, but the simple fact that he had not even turned back to look at them one last time. As if the ties they had had all those years meant nothing now. He so dearly wanted to see his brother's expression right at this moment, to confirm whether Wei Wuxian actually did not feel anything. He would have been able to accept any emotion coming from him, anything but this utter indifference and abandonment.

Once Wei Wuxian was kneeling in front of Wen Ruohan, the Qishan Wen sect leader smiled a bit, apparently all content with the course of action this reunion had taken. His voice thundered and cut through Jiang Cheng like a freshly sharpened sword: "Take them away!"

This really was the end, though Jiang Cheng when all of his family except for Wei Wuxian had been hauled onto their feet and dragged away. Not in the direction of the main gate which led outside however, instead, they were being half carried half dragged back to where they had entered the room from just minutes ago. They were being taken back to the dungeons.

Jiang Cheng started trashing against the hold of the Wen sect soldier who had been assigned to him. He was very confused and angry now. He could not tell if Wei Wuxian had lied when he said that everything would be alright and they would be freed or if Wen Ruohan had changed his mind and was not letting them go after all, breaking his promise to Wei Wuxian.

Did it even matter at this point? Jiang Cheng knew that even if he managed to somehow shake off his own guard, he would not be able to free the rest of the family and take them away with him. Not without any weapon, his sword and Zidian had been taken from him when he had been captured. Although he was positive that he himself still had some forces left, that could not have been said for his parents, they had been held captive in horrible conditions for far too long. They could not help in a fight, and neither could Jiang Yanli. And regarding Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng was unsure if his brother would come to their rescue at this point.

It was a hopeless and pointless struggle; he knew that very well but he still had to try. They would probably not get another opportunity to run away ever again.

From very far away, he could hear his brother talking to Wen Ruohan but he could not tell the words apart, they were too far away from him and his brother was speaking in a quiet, deterred voice. Suddenly, Wen Ruohan started to laugh maniacally. Jiang Cheng continued his trashing around but glanced in his direction minutely.

The Qishan Wen sect leader was now standing in front of his throne, looming menacingly above the room, glaring at Wei Wuxian angrily. Jiang Cheng could not understand anything anymore; he did not know what kind of plan his brother had had but surely it could not have been such a half-baked one. Wei Wuxian was now also standing, looking in his direction with shock and pain written all over his face. It was at that exact moment that Jiang Cheng understood that his brother's plan had gone south and that they were now completely screwed.

He started trashing even more now, a last desperate attempt at freeing himself with his own forces. He froze again in the next second for suddenly, he, his family and their guards had been surrounded by a thick wall of resentment. He could not see the room anymore, but that must have also meant that no one from the outside could see him either.

This was his chance! He redoubled, no tripled, his effort and saw how his parents also started fighting, even Jiang Yanli was doing her best.

Three heartbeats later, they were free and the guards were laying on the ground. He did not know how they had managed this feat; they had clearly been at a disadvantage just a second ago. However, he did not have time to wonder about anything, they had to run. He helped Jiang Yanli to stand properly and steadied her on her feet, half supporting her and half carrying her. He looked at his parents and saw that he apparently did not need to worry about them, they were already standing, leaning on each other heavily but with fight in their eyes.

They did not have any time for a long conversation or for designing a plan, they would simply have to run straight for the main gate, hoping that they would actually be able to escape. Jiang Cheng looked into his parents' eyes and saw that they understood the situation as well, determination was very much visible in their every haggard and tired feature. They nodded at each other, encouraging themselves and silently saying goodbye. This was a foolish and reckless plan but it was all they had left.

Then, the wall formed by resentful energy disappeared and all hell broke loose. 

Starting tomorrow, I will be on holiday without regular access to the Internet so the updates may not be regular, sorry for any incovenience