I will take care of him

Lan Wangji was very unsettled as he was holding Wei Ying in his arms after the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple basically broke down. He had not excepted that his confession would have had such an impact on his husband. Then again, maybe he should have. It had been painfully clear that Wei Ying had misunderstood his intentions during the war time and it had been only moments ago that Lan Wangji had been able to explain himself properly.

Or at least he hoped so. The relief on his husband's face and his heart was more than visible. It was screaming into his face and he kissed it away from Wei Ying's cheeks coated in the salty wetness. A great weight had been lifted from his shoulders, now he could finally stand by the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple's side without any misunderstandings between them.

Although there was still one little thing which he needed to inform Wei Ying about. He had to tell him that not only he loved him – and it was still a small miracle to him that the other apparently returned his feelings – but they were already married as well. Sure, only given the Gusu Lan sect wedding traditions but for Lan Wangji, there was no question in his mind. Wei Ying was his husband and that was it, nothing more and nothing less.

He had already decided about devoting his life to protect the Yunmeng Jiang sect disciple, both from those who would want him any harm and himself. He had noticed during the war that Wei Ying had a tendency to not care about himself enough and he had decided to change that. He would take care of his husband and remind him that there was at least one person who loved him, believed in him and did not slander him because of his use of demonic cultivation.

Not like he was not worried about Wei Ying using cultivating resentful energy. It had been made clean in the last three weeks when he had been unconscious and Wen Qing had been taking care of him that it hurt his body. However, it was only now that he could confirm that it was hurting also his very soul. Lan Wangji did not want to stop him though, he understood that Wei Ying had not any other choice when he had no golden core anymore, but it did not discourage him from wanting to lessen the negative effects of its use.

He could tell that his husband was not himself yet even though Wei Ying tried to mask his pain behind a smile and brittle words. Until he finally broke down like this in Lan Wangji's arms. It was truly heart-breaking to see him crumble like that. Then again, the Second Jade was happy that he was the one who made Wei Ying comfortable enough to be shown this side of him. And he was also glad that no one else saw, his husband would be very uneasy later if anyone had.

So for now, all he could do was to sit on the side of the bed and hold Wei Ying in his arms as the other was crying his heart out. He was caressing his hair and back, his husband's face was buried in his lap. He wanted to sooth him but at the same time, he wanted for him to let go of all the pain and for his tears to wash away everything which was burdening him deep down and which he usually would not show.

This was a moment of great vulnerability on the Yunmeng Jiang sect head disciple's side and Lan Wangji was fully dedicated to treat it as such.

Wei Ying did not say anything to him after Lan Wangji's confession but the way he was kissing him almost desperately was proof enough of his feelings. At least the Second Jade thought so as sobs were wracking the fragile and warm – no longer as cold as ice and unmoving – body in his lap.

He continued to provide support and humming the song he had composed for his husband until Wei Ying slowly calmed down and his breathing deepened. He fell into sleep. Not a fitful one full of nightmares that Lan Wangji saw so often during these last days, but a deep healing sleep bordering unconsciousness when his husband's mind could relax.

He still continued to hold him for a bit longer, wondering what good deed he had done in his previous life to have someone as perfect and special as his husband loving him. He was the luckiest man alive.

When it was nearing lunch time and his stomach was telling him that the breakfast was now only a distant memory, he reluctantly laid Wei Ying back down on his bed. Surely his husband would be hungry when he would wake up, he had not eaten breakfast Lan Wangji was afraid. His husband was still too thin and he was only just starting to truly recover. He needed regular meals.

That was why the Second Jade stood up slowly and decided to go procure a meal for the two of them. Although he did not want to leave Wei Ying all by himself at a time like this – his husband had been greatly shaken when Lan Wangji had found him alone in the room earlier –, he also needed a moment to gather his thoughts. The confession and the fact that his feelings were returned had yet to settle in. He needed to be alone for a few minutes.

He went out of the room and informed the guards to run find him if his husband woke up. Then, he took a long way to the kitchens and was gathering his thoughts and silently celebrating.

He was not too surprised to find Jiang Yanli at the stove. He knew that she used to cook the soup for Wei Ying and apparently she was doing so at this time as well. Aside for a special highly nutritious diet that Wen Qing had prescribed, she also allowed his husband to have the soup after Jiang Yanli told them that she would always make the it to sooth her brothers.

Lan Wangji greeted politely, he did not want to startle the other since he came inside quietly enough for Jiang Yanli to not notice him. Just as he had suspected, she turned around immediately and there was a gentle smile on her lips when she recognized him.

"Lan Wangji," she greeted back and then her smile became bigger when she continued, "congratulation for finding your way to my brother. I know he can sometimes be such a little blind fool. I am sure it must have been hard." Lan Wangji's ears started burning up, apparently he and Wei Ying had not been subtle enough before. Some silencing talismans would be in order for the next time they would start making out, he decided.

Before he could apologize for disturbing the not so calm Lotus Pier, Jiang Yanli was already talking again as if she never noticed his embarrassment. Or chose to ignore it more likely judging by the small sparkles in her eyes. Lan Wangji was suddenly remembering his brother's subtle way of teasing.

"I am happy for both of you." Her face had now become serious and Lan Wangji could tell that she loved her brother very much and wanted only the best for him. "He can sometimes be a handful and he barely ever worries about his own well-being but please, take care of him for me."

It was a heartfelt request from an older sibling who had their younger brother's happiness in mind. Lan Wangji heard those words as such and he had no complaints, this was exactly what had been on his own mind as well. He would have protected Wei Ying and taken care of him regardless of Jiang Yanli's request.

Still, he felt it was his duty to oblige and reassure her that he was going to do just that. He nodded his head, his expression solemn as he promised: "Mn, I will take care of him."

It was a vow for himself as much as it was a promise to Jiang Yanli. Lan Wangji would do his very best to stand by it. And if his best was not enough, then he would strive to reform himself and to give even more. He would devote himself to his husband.