Distance

Jiang Cheng felt still completely drained the next morning. He had cried his heart out during the night and now it was as if he had nothing left. He had cried for the better part of the night and now he was completely empty. He was at a loss about what to do next, how to continue living without another member of his family.

Last evening, he had felt like he need to blame someone for his own and his family's unfortunate fate, but he knew better then to choose Wei Wuxian for that already. Not after how he himself had behaved after the fall of Lotus Pier; he knew perfectly well that his brother was not at fault for all his family's misfortunes.

No, Cloud Recesses had been burned and Unclean Realm attacked without any provocation; the Wens would have come for Lotus Pier sooner or later. It was the Qishan Wen sect who had wanted to take over the cultivation world, Wen Ruohan must have been planning this for years. Wei Wuxian had nothing to do with that, Jiang Cheng knew that now. So he would not blame his brother. However, that did not mean that he was ready to face him just yet, he felt like he could still snap at any moment. His emotions were too raw and he felt too vulnerable to let anything show.

When he exited his tent to go report to Nie Mingjue, he had found the said brother waiting for him in front of it.

Wei Wuxian looked terrible with his deep black bruises under his eyes and his slumped shoulders. He was apparently tired, as if he had not slept a wink during the night either. It seemed like his reckless and mischievous brother was nowhere to be found anymore. Jiang Cheng wondered for a split second what had changed.

It looked like Wei Wuxian had finally become a responsible adult and had grown up. Had he finally realized that he could not stay a carefree teenager forever? Or was it because he had been captured by Wen Chao's soldiers and spend three months in the Burial Mounds? No, he did not know that for sure yet, it was not like Wei Wuxian had told him anything at all. Or maybe because he was now about to join in on the fighting and become part of the allied forces?

Jiang Cheng could not tell; but then again, he did not care too much either. He himself had changed as well, all the cultivators of their generation had. The Sunshot campaign and the war had not left them any other choice. They could not remain children for any longer, they had their sects and the whole cultivation world to protect.

He quickly stopped the train of his thoughts, not wanting to seep too deep into it. He should just focus on the task at hand.

Without saying as much as a greeting to his brother – he was still not sure he would be able to face him with a calm expression but he did not want to chase him away, for now, he was all the family he had left – he headed towards Nie Mingjue's tent. It had now become the main headquarters of the Sunshot campaign. His brother followed him silently, with his head lowered a bit. It was so unexpected and weird that it still worried Jiang Cheng slightly.

But no matter, he had already decided that he would put some distance between himself and his brother, at least for the time being. It would be safer that way, they both needed some time to come to terms with their own emotions. And his brother had surely many things to process as well, he had been lost to the world for three months after all, he probably needed some time to adjust.

When he was stepping inside Nie Mingjue's tent, he noticed that Wei Wuxian was not carrying his sword. He was taken aback. Why would his brother not take his spiritual weapon with him now that it had been retrieved? That was simply too rude of a behaviour for any cultivator, especially in presence of a sect leader they were just going to visit.

For a second, Jiang Cheng was already considering to talk to Wei Wuxian again even though he had decided against it just moments ago. But he could tell that if he opened his mouth, all his words would just spill out of it, all the blame he was so desperately trying to not put on his brother's back, all his sorrow from losing his family, all his complaints about having to resurrect and lead the new Yunmeng Jiang sect all on his own because his brother had once again decided that he would do the impossible without him.

There was too much, too much hurt inside of him. He did not want to show to anyone that he was this weak, he was a sect leader now, he could not go around showing weaknesses to everyone. Not even to Wei Wuxian who was supposed to be his right hand man. So instead, he just scowled at his brother's hand which was clenching the strange black flute, letting him know that he did not entirely agree with the change of weapon. Sure, musical cultivation was fine and everything, but it was just not the same, and even those who cultivated it carried swords as well. It was common curtesy.

Once again, he stopped thinking about this matter and had to focus on the present when Lan Xichen's voice came from inside the tent: "Sect Leader Jiang, it is good to see you are back. I heard you have found Young Master Wei safe and sound."

Jiang Cheng went into the tent and the rustling of fabric behind his back confirmed that Wei Wuxian did the same. But he did not come to stand at his side as always, he stopped a step behind him, bowing to Lan Xichen, Nie Mingjue and Nie Huisang. Lan Wangji, Jin Zixuan and Jin Zixun were also present, it looked like they had arrived just in time for a strategy meeting.

Jiang Cheng bowed his head to show his respect and quickly went to take his place around the table with a map of Nightless City and its surroundings. It seemed like today's topic would be, once again, their plan to finally put a halt to the Qishan Wen sect rule over the cultivation world. He could feel his brother coming with him, still standing behind him. It bugged Jiang Cheng to no end, Wei Wuxian had never before behaved this deferentially, it was like they were not brothers anymore but a sect leader and his subordinate.

Why would Wei Wuxian suddenly start taking his position seriously? By all means, Jiang Cheng had expected nothing to change between them but it was clear that his brother saw things differently now. And perhaps it would be for the better, even though it would hurt Jiang Cheng to see him like that. At least the other sects would stop gossiping and criticising everything. It could only be a good thing.

Suddenly, Jiang Cheng's head jerked up and he looked at his brother who was now talking. He had not been paying attention to the meeting but now, he could not ignore what was being said anymore, it was too shocking.

"...have a way to deal with Wen Ruohan. I have come to understand how to wield resentful energy, I believe that I can be of help in the upcoming battle."

What? How could that be? Why was Jiang Cheng hearing about this important piece of information only now? How had Wei Wuxian come to become a demonic cultivator without ever uttering a word about it? Should he had not said that the first thing when he and Lan Wangji had come to meet him in Yiling? Should he had not informed his brother about this? Should he had not told his sect leader about controlling resentful energy and becoming like Wen Ruohan? How would he now look to the others when he was just as surprised and shocked by the information as them?

This really was the last drop. He felt like he was truly losing his brother now and he could not take it anymore. He was furious that he had come to learn it in this way. Had Wei Wuxian stopped believing him so he would not tell him? And why was he now looking at everyone else in the tent but at Jiang Cheng? It really was too much. His anger flared bright red and Zidian on his finger was sizzling menacingly, he had a distinct urge to hurt someone.

Jiang Cheng shook his head slightly to try and recollect himself. He felt betrayed, by the last member of his family no less. How could Wei Wuxian just put him aside like that? How could he abandon him after everything his family had done for him? No, this really was too much. Jiang Cheng turned on his heel without a word and stormed out of the tent.