Danger remains

The whole family including Jin Zixuan, Wen Qing and Lan Wangji was once again reunited by Jiang Cheng in the sect hall. At first, Jiang Fengmian was not sure what had happened and he had feared the worst, like the Lanling Jin sect finally officially claiming that Wei Wuxian should be handed to them and the Qinghe Nie and Gusu Lan sects agreeing. But the happiness and anticipation on his son's face was telling a different story.

Luckily, Jiang Cheng did not let them wait too long and showed them a letter on expensive looking paper. There was a Qinghe Nie sect insignia on the outer side and Nie Huisang's signature on the inside. They all looked at it curiously and wanted to read it all at once.

Jiang Cheng, instead of giving the letter to someone, kept it to himself and informed them: "It is a letter from Nie Huisang. He is writing that Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao had been caught red-handed together with Xue Yang doing experiments with resentful energy. Nie Mingjue had apparently been pretty much enraged and had apprehended them at once, together with a few servants and other members of the Lanling Jin sect who had been involved.

Nie Huisang is writing that the Yunmeng Jiang sect is invited to the trial, just as all other sects. The fate of those two will be decided in a week's time." Jiang Cheng looked at everyone in turn, his lips parted in a rare smile. Jiang Fengmian could tell he was truly happy and already excited for the trial. He continued: "Now we no longer have to fear anything when it comes to Wei Wuxian's safety aside for his own recklessness."

Jiang Fengmian frowned. He could understand that his son wished for that very much, but he was not thinking things through. It was true that Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao may not be a threat to Wei Wuxian anymore, that did not however mean that no one else would not try to either want to snatch the demonic cultivator for themselves or take revenge on him and send assassins after him. After all, even if they had the Qinghe Nie and the Gusu Lan sects on their side, it was not like the whole cultivation world agreed with the decision to let someone potentially dangerous how they called it run free.

Perhaps now, with the main threat gone, they even had more things to worry about. When they had known who was their enemy and how they operated, they had at least not been left in the dark. On the contrary, their current situation was really more worrisome. They would have to always look over their shoulder and suspect everything and everyone. They no longer knew from where danger could emerge.

He did not even get to open his mouth when Jin Zixuan spoke, a serious expression on his face and his hand clutching Jiang Yanli's: "That does however not necessarily mean that Wei Wuxian will be safe from now on."

Jiang Fengmian nodded. Although the Lanling Jin sect heir – now the next sect leader as well after Jin Guangshan would be found guilty of practicing demonic cultivation for evil deeds and with his only other officially accepted son being also one of the culprit – could sometimes be arrogant and not entirely to his liking, he could tell that he had a good head on his shoulders when it came to both politics and protecting his family. Well, at least the family who was innocent, luckily he did not say anything to try and defend his father and brother.

Jiang Fengmian was already looking forward to have such a son-in-law. Even more so that Jiang Yanli seemed to love him very much. Whatever he was lacking in the love and politics department could be easily learned. He would be a good addition to their family.

His appraisal musing was interrupted by Jiang Cheng glaring at Jin Zixuan and scoffing at him: "What do you mean Wei Wuxian is not safe? The threat to his life is gone and he can now finally live his life..."

Jiang Fengmian did not know what his son wanted to say because Jiang Cheng stopped himself abruptly in the middle of a sentence. His eyes widened with realization and he glanced towards Wei Wuxian before lowering his head in defeat. Jiang Fengmian knew that his son had just understood that removing the biggest threat was not solving the problem, not at all.

He put a hand on Jiang Cheng's shoulder and squeezed it lightly while looking at Wei Wuxian. His older son was looking very uncomfortable when they were talking about him like this. It must have not been too easy for him to hear that he would still had to be guarded at all times. The happiness and shining eyes which had been born just after Jiang Cheng had announced the news were nowhere to seen anymore.

Lan Wangji was holding one of Wei Wuxian's hands and Jiang Fengmian was happy for that. He was glad that his child was getting the support he needed and that he was not all alone in this. Of course he had them, his family, but it was good for him to also have someone else who he was comfortable with and who would support him no matter what. He had already seen how close they were and had been planning to have two weddings at the same time.

Well, three to be exact. Not that Jiang Cheng and Wen Qing were this obvious, but his younger son had already made his intentions known when he had officially started courting the Dafan Wen clan doctor. They were not as sweet to each other publically, but he could tell there was something between them. A strong bond and deep love which did not need to be seen by the outside world. They were not holding hands but they were standing side by side, closer than it would normally be appropriate should they not be to be wed in the near future.

Jiang Fengmian looked back at Wei Wuxian with pity in his eyes. He could not help himself. He knew his son hated to be chaperoned and guarded on his every step but there was just no way around it. Not if they did not want him to be harmed. Even if he could properly defend himself without using resentful energy which was harmful to him – which Wei Wuxian unfortunately could not – it would still be too dangerous to leave him alone. No, they could definitely not do that, he had suffered enough, now was the time for them to protect him.

Everyone was looking at Wei Wuxian right then, all with different mix of emotions in their eyes. No one spoke for the longest time and the silence was becoming uncomfortable.

At last, Wei Wuxian sighed and agreed weakly: "I understand. I will be careful."

That was not what Jiang Fengmian wanted to hear, and especially not in such a demeaning and small tone, however, it seemed like this was the best he would get. After all, he had not truly expected his son to ask for their protection or welcome it. It would not be Wei Wuxian if he did. Nevertheless, they would offer protection if his son wanted it or not.