Now comes the hard part

Today, it was Jiang Cheng who called the family together to discuss how best to proceed in regards to Wei Wuxian. Yu Ziyuan was sitting in her seat, her shoulders sagged. She sighed, she was starting to be tired of this and had only herself to blame for everything.

Despite hers and her husband's best intentions, the boy did not seem like he believed them when they had gone to see him and tried to explain that everything was different now. That they started caring about him and his well-being after all those years they had ignored him. It was not that Wei Wuxian told them so but she could clearly see it from the way he always politely dismissed their words, thanking them for them but never really taking them to heart, no matter how many times they were repeated.

It was as if he was keeping a careful distance from them and it hurt her deep down. He behaved just like before, obeying her every word but at the same time, being scared of her and feeling like he had a duty and a debt to repay when it came to her family. In a sense, he was the same as he had been ever since the start, Yu Ziyuan could not bear it.

That is why when Jiang Cheng called them all to the throne room, she was eager to hear what he had in mind. Had he perhaps come up with a new way of showing their intentions and feelings to Wei Wuxian? How could they make him understand that they had changed for the better and were now finally – way too late but better than never – ready to accept him and treat him as a true member of their family as they should have from the very start?

How could they make him at ease and feel welcomed? Until now, it was only Jiang Yanli and Lan Wangji around whom Wei Wuxian would relax, certainly not around Jiang Fengmian or her. He only pretended to be fine. It was only now that Yu Ziyuan started paying enough attention to him to see through his mask. Or perhaps, she had known it was there but had not cared until now. She did not even know which of those two was more sad.

However, when Jiang Cheng started talking, it quickly became clear that he had not come up with any solution but brought them instead even more to worry about.

"Wei Wuxian has been given the all clear check on his health." Jiang Cheng informed them solemnly.

He did not have to say anything else, they all knew what this meant. They could not use the pretence of him being still sick to keep him in his room where he was safe. They had already seen that he did not take it well and it had always broken Yu Ziyuan's heart when she came to see him and he would be staring out of the window like a trapped animal.

It was however better for his protection to stay inside. There had been several attempts to kidnap him or to assassinate him and he was better hidden in his room than roaming around Lotus Pier and being an easy target. They had set talismans and arrays all around but it would not be enough to protect him if he was to go outside.

"I see," it was Jiang Fengmian who spoke first. "It seems like now comes the hard part. I cannot imagine keeping A-Xian locked in his room for much longer, I can tell he wants to go outside and be free again. Who are we to deny him this after what he had been through? We have all agreed that we do not want to limit him in what he loves anymore. He had already sacrificed too much for us; he should now be happy. But how do we tell him that he should at least try to be careful? How do we explain that there is a threat on his life even here, in his home?"

Yes, that was exactly the question. There was no doubt in Yu Ziyuan's mind that should they keep this information from her son, he would do something reckless and endanger himself. She did not believe that even when he would know, he would be careful enough.

Jiang Yanli reached out and put one of her hands on her father's shoulder reassuringly: "Father, do not worry, we will protect A-Xian with all our might. I am sure that everyone else will also help. All the disciples like him and they would do anything to keep him safe and prevent him from straining himself too much. After all, they know about his missing golden core already."

And that was another thing which Yu Ziyuan feared revealing to Wei Wuxian. She was scared of his reaction. She still thought that telling everyone was a good step, they would now all help to keep Wei Wuxian from overexerting himself, but how would the son in question react to this, it was another matter entirely. She knew that she would not take it too kindly being his shoes if her weakness was revealed in such a way. Or if it was revealed at all.

She now started regretting ever suggesting this option. It was only at this moment that she realized how much it could drive Wei Wuxian away from them again. Not that he would leave, she did not believe he would even think about it, but in a way he would start keeping his distance even more and they would not be able to get through to him anymore.

"Best would be to explain everything clearly, I am sure that A-Xian would understand once we tell him our reasons." Jiang Yanli tried to sooth all of them. It was however not working as she had probably anticipated because her expression was tense and there was the same fear reflected in her eyes. It would be so easy to lose Wei Wuxian now.

Nevertheless, Yu Ziyuan knew that this moment had to come sooner or later. They had to face it, there was literally no other option. It would be even worse if Wei Wuxian learned all of this from another person. They just had to come clear in front of him.

"We need to tell him everything," she spoke at last. Her voice was small but her words carried in them all the seriousness of the situation.

"Yes, we have to," agreed Jiang Cheng with a sigh. He too did not want to go through this but understood its necessity. Yu Ziyuan was proud of him, he was now becoming a true sect leader worthy of his title.

Jiang Yanli clapped her hands and looked more lively: "Let us tell him over breakfast tomorrow. Since he is now healthy again, he can eat with us. I will cook soup for him and we can all talk in peace. It is already late today, let us sleep on this and face it after a good night's sleep. We can also invite Lan Wangji to join us, I am sure he would be delighted."

There was a short silence in the room and then everyone nodded slowly. It was decided, they would face this challenge as a family tomorrow.