You are not fine

Before the argument between Jiang Cheng and Wen Qing could truly start, Wei Wuxian lifted his head and tried to mediate. Or more like put himself in the line of fire so their attention would be diverted towards him. Jiang Fengmian winced a little remembering his son had been doing the same thing when he and his wife had used to argue. It was painful to look at as never before.

"Aya, Jiang Cheng, Wen Qing, shop arguing. I am sorry I have just disappeared from my room and worried you like that. But I am fine, I promise. So please, do not do this because of me..."

It seemed like Wei Wuxian had wanted to say something more but he had stopped when Wen Qing and Jiang Cheng turned his way in a perfectly synchronized movements and glared at him, scowling.

"You are not fine!" they scolded him finding the same rhythm to do so and Wei Wuxian's mouth closed shut. He immediately looked even more guilty.

Jiang Fengmian was suddenly reminded of all those times that his wife had scolded the boy and how he would immediately try to take all the blame onto himself, pretending to be fine. Yes, he should have seen earlier that his son was anything but fine in those moments. Or perhaps, he had known all along but just decided to ignore Wei Wuxian's pain in order to keep the ties of his family as intact as they could be. Not anymore though, he would not let it happen again.

He could see his wife looking at him with clear plea in her eyes. She must have also remembered and was now feeling guilty just like him. Jiang Fengmian did not want her to spiral down that way any more. He knew that despite her composed exterior, there must have already been a storm brewing inside of her. One, that he would have a hard time calming down with all the children present. He was certain that his wife would not take it too well to break down in front of them.

He stood up and went to the arguing trio. Jiang Yanli looked like she wanted to intervene too but did not know how. Jin Zixuan was holding her hand and looking bothered and embarrassed, it must have been hard to watch drama inside of someone else's family, even though that very family would be his as well soon enough. As for Lan Wangji, he remained as stoic as ever. Jiang Fengmian wondered what the Second Jade was thinking. He could not tell from his expression but he was sure that Lan Wangji was not taking it too well to see Wei Wuxian in this kind of situation. Jiang Fengmian had already seen just how protective the Gusu Lan sect disciple could get, he would not want to be on his bad side.

He stopped when he was standing at Wei Wuxian's side, facing the two angry cultivators together with him. He tried to calm the situation: "A-Cheng, Wen Qing, please do not be too harsh on A-Xian. I am sure it had been just a misunderstanding." He could see them realizing what they had been doing and relaxing ever so slightly, not looking at Wei Wuxian with anger in their eyes anymore. Jiang Cheng even appeared remorseful.

Despite also wanting to know what had Wei Wuxian been doing in the training field with his sword, forcing himself according to Jiang Cheng's words, he held himself back from asking. It would not do to rile up the emotions in the room any more. Instead, he opted for diverting the situation into a more pleasant one: "Let us all have breakfast together. We need to let A-Xian know what had happened when he had been asleep. Perhaps then, he would feel like confiding his reasons with us."

He turned towards his older son and continued talking to him directly: "A-Xian, we do not want to force you to do anything. Please, just come listen to us and we will try to make everything clear. I am afraid that we had not talked far as much as we have needed as a family in the past."

He saw how Wei Wuxian's eyes became wide and surprise overcame his previously guilty posture. He could understand. His words must have sounded very weird to someone who had always been included in the family seemingly only for the purpose of protecting it and laying his life down for the sake of it. They really had done wrong to him in the past. Not anymore though, they were now changing their ways and they would include Wei Wuxian properly. They would treat him with care he deserved and would not let him hurt himself for their sake again.

Wei Wuxian beamed at him, immediately, he seemed to have been his old self from the times before the fall of Lotus Pier, and perhaps from even earlier, things had never been the same after he had come back from his studies in Cloud Recesses because of breaking off Jiang Yanli's engagement. Jiang Fengmian could tell that what Wen Qing and Jiang Cheng had said was true, Wei Wuxian was certainly not fine and it was only now that he could see it this clearly.

"Yes, Uncle Jiang!" the boy chirped and took refuge at the table, in his usual spot. The atmosphere in the room calmed down and the uncomfortable cold which had come with it finally disappeared. Wei Wuxian's smile had warmed the room in the way only he could.

All the others went to sit down as well; Jiang Yanli at Jin Zixuan's side, Jiang Cheng side by side with Wen Qing and of course Lan Wangji let himself slip to the last empty seat just next to Wei Wuxian. Jiang Fengmian had to smile to himself. His family was about to become bigger in the near future it would seem. He wondered if he should start preparing dowry for all three of his children at the same time.

Food was served and Wei Wuxian immediately started chatting away as he was putting pieces into Lan Wangji's bowl and urging him to try various Yunmeng specialities. Jiang Fengmian observed him intently. Although he looked fine now – or at least tried to pretend to be fine – he could tell that his son was tense and awaiting, perhaps even fearing the conversation up ahead. He decided to only breach it at the end of the meal.

Everyone needed to gather themselves and when else than during a happy chatter and a leisurely meal? Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng were now dragged into the conversation as well. Wei Wuxian even tried to involve Wen Qing and Jin Zixuan but the result was questionable at best. He did not seem to mind though. Everything looked like there was nothing wrong with the world. At least for this frozen moment of happiness. Jiang Fengmian could only hope that what they were about to tell Wei Wuxian would not shatter it completely.