Rescue plan

Although Wei Wuxian had managed to stop Jiang Cheng from running off to safe the rest of his family, it still did nothing in the end. Not even a week later, the Qishan Wen sect soldiers managed to still capture him. It was during a fierce fighting near Nightless City when they were advancing their positions before the final battle scheduled next week. Wei Wuxian had gotten separated from his brother and when he turned around, he could only see him being carried off by a bunch of soldiers on their swords.

He had never felt that helpless in his life. It had happened right in front of him and he could do literally nothing to stop them, not without his golden core and without being able to mount a sword and pursue them. Now the whole Yunmeng Jiang clan had been captured, he had failed in his mission. So thoroughly too that under other circumstances it would have actually been hilarious.

On the same day, he came to find Nie Huisang and told him his plan. He was not at all sure that it would actually work but the risk was worth it if it would save Jiang Cheng, Jiang Yanli, Uncle Jiang and Madame Yu. He had promised to protect them with his life and he would do just that if necessary. He had decided to go through with this and there was no stopping him. Still, getting some help could only be to his benefit.

If Nie Huisang was surprised that he had come to find him and had requested to speak to him in private, he did not show anything and only followed him without a word. Once they were back in Wei Wuxian's tent, they sat down at the table, opposite to each other. Nie Huisang put his fan onto the wood and waited, ready to listen to whatever his friend wanted to tell him.

Without any ado, Wei Wuxian revealed his plan to rescue the Jiang family and to hopefully defeat Wen Ruohan at the same time: "Brother Nie, I have to help them. They have even taken Jiang Cheng now; I cannot stand idly by anymore. I have to do something. They have saved my life when I had been a child, now it is my turn to save them.

I have found a way to arrange everything, I would only like to request a small assistance from the allied forces for the rescue. If I will be successful in discovering a way to take control of Wen Ruohan's puppets, I may even be able to stop them during the final siege. You know I had been looking for a way to impede the Yin iron for a while now but I think I need to be closer in order to understand the way he is controlling it better. You may not believe me but the resentful energy I use and the Yin iron are not the same so I need to get a closer look.

I will give myself up to Wen Ruohan and promise him my assistance and knowledge of demonic cultivation in exchange for releasing the Yunmeng Jiang clan. I am pretty sure he had already heard of me and he is probably mad. But he will for sure not let go of the opportunity to get a better understanding of demonic cultivation from someone who have come back from hell itself. It will be too good to pass on for him. I am pretty confident in this.

I will just need you to arrange for the Jiang family to be taken away from Nightless City. I do not trust Wen Ruohan will let them get away so easily. I will convince him to take them out of the dungeons and his palace but that is all I can do, probably. I am afraid that once they would be out of my sight, he would try to capture them again, if for nothing more than to keep them as reassurance that I would not go against him. Please, I need your help rescuing them. After they will be out of harm's ways, I will be able to focus on finding a way to defeat Wen Ruohan.

Once he lets me near the Yin iron, I will be able to finally examine its powers first hand and understand the way Wen Ruohan is controlling it. When your brother will lead the siege on Nightless City, I will be ready to do my very best to snatch that control away from him and stop as many puppets as I will be able to. Hopefully it will be enough to finally shift the scales of fortune onto our side and defeat that monster.

It may look like I have changed sides but I assure you, I would rather die than let the Yin iron corrupt me as it had done to Wen Ruohan. Please believe me in this one. I want this war to end already and for everyone to return to their peaceful lives. I do not want children joining the battles and dying, I have seen too much of that already. Everything will be decided in a week's time. For the better or for the worse."

Wei Wuxian had not looked at Nie Huisang once during his explanation, he was too afraid that the Qinghe Nie sect heir would say that it was a foolish plan and that it would not work, that he would not help him in this almost suicide mission of his. But his friend greatly surprised him when he did not argue with him. The silence was getting longer and Wei Wuxian finally gathered enough courage to look up and he was met with the Qinghe Nie heir's pensive eyes.

"You have already decided, did you not?" asked Nie Huisang. It must have been clear to him that his friend would not back down with this because he did not even wait for any kind of confirmation and he was already nodding his head pensively: "Alright, I will do my best to convince my brother to agree to the plan. When are you going?"

"Tonight."

The response seemed to have not surprised Nie Huisang either. There was only another nod of his head and he was already getting up, opening his fan once again.

"Then I wish you the best of luck. I promise that we will be ready tomorrow morning."

Then Nie Huisang headed out of the tent. He however still turned around in the entrance and looked back at Wei Wuxian once again, worried expression on his face: "Be careful." And then he was gone.

Wei Wuxian did not lose any time and he got up as well, gathering his things. He would go to Nightless City immediately, hoping that he would be able to actually carry out this reckless and risky plan. Even though he had tried to sound like he had everything under control when he had been talking to Nie Huisang, nothing could have been farther from reality, he was not sure of anything, he was only hoping that it would work. And right now, he had nothing more than that hope to keep him moving forward.