Stubborn fool

Jiang Cheng was running towards the training field as soon as a disciple informed him that he had seen Wei Wuxian there only minutes ago. It had been almost half an hour since no one could find his brother and now his previous worry was leaving him, being replaced by anger. He felt angry at Wei Wuxian for being reckless again and worrying everyone.

Though, deep down, he could not say that he was all that surprised. As soon as Wen Qing had pronounced Wei Wuxian healthy enough to move around, Jiang Cheng had known that his brother would not wait for too long to start running around and causing havoc just as was in his nature. He had to actually hide a smile, now that he knew that Wei Wuxian was fine and there was no danger – he could already see him standing together with Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan in the middle of the training field – he was relived and happy that his brother was lively enough to be running around after all that he had lost and went though.

Suddenly, he almost stopped in his tracks when the Lanling Jin sect heir started scolding Wei Wuxian, quite harshly at that: "Wei Wuxian. How could you have done that? You have worried everyone like this and now you are standing there, pretending that everything is alright? Nothing is fine, nothing will ever be this way! Had you not been the one to say just that to me? Pretending never solved anything and holding onto one's pride neither. Were you not the one to tell me just this when I had been trying to pointlessly pretend I did not feel anything for A-Li?

Just come out and say why you are walking around with your sword even though you clearly cannot wield it anymore. You look ready to kneel over and I am sure that you had not been training even for that long. Why do you force yourself like this and pretend to be fine? Would it not be easier for you to carry your flute around? You had seemed pretty out of it when I called out to you earlier, and I could tell you wanted to grab it..."

Now the Lanling Jin sect heir's voice became almost pleading as he came to stand at Jiang Yanli's side and put his hands around her shoulders as if to support her. Jiang Cheng did not know what had happened before he came to the training field but one thing was clear to him. Wei Wuxian must have been trying to train with his sword. There was no doubt in the Yunmeng Jiang sect leader's heart about whether his brother had really been forcing himself and had been surprised when interrupted.

Just as he was storming through the training ground, he could at least tell that Wei Wuxian was repentant for once. He was not trying to deflect what had been said and his head was lowered as he was looking at the ground.

Jiang Cheng joined Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan, facing his brother with a scowl. He saw Suibian in his sister's arms and he could tell that she had taken it away from Wei Wuxian before he could have hurt himself even more. Why had he been trying to wield it anyway when he knew it would be useless from the very beginning? It could not be that he had not realized that he would not be able to use it as he had done in the past without a golden core? His brother was not that stupid.

"A-Xian, please talk to us..."

Before Jiang Cheng could start scolding his brother, Jiang Yanli was pleading him to tell them just the thing he himself wanted to know.

Wei Wuxian seemed glued to the spot earlier but now his head shot up and there was a horrified expression on his face and he came closer to his sister and was trying to console her. Jiang Yanli had tears in her eyes, a full proof tactic to get her way; though Jiang Cheng did not doubt that they were genuine.

"A-Xian..." pleaded Jiang Yanli again while looking directly at him and taking hold of one of his hands as her other one was still holding Suibian.

This was the last straw for Wei Wuxian is seemed because her whispered brokenly and apologetically at the same time: "Shijie... It was just because I have overheard disciples talking about the ultimatum given to the Yunmeng Jiang sect by the Lanling Jin sect. That I cannot use demonic cultivation anymore. I wanted to not cause trouble and I have thought I would try to pick up the right path again to let the cultivation world see that I was no threat. But I..."

Wei Wuxian stopped talking, his voice disappearing into nothingness. But he did not really need to say any more. It was clear to Jiang Cheng what the ending of that phrase should have been. His own eyes started to sting and he had a hard time to blink his tears away. He was a sect leader now, he should not show so many emotions; and he should certainly not break down in the middle of the training field where everyone could see.

His sister however did not have such duty and she choked on a desperate and pained sob: "A-Xian..."

Jin Zixuan immediately gathered her in his arms and started consoling her. Jiang Cheng suddenly felt slightly jealous, he would have perhaps appreciated someone to do the same thing for him. His emotions were raw as he watched his brother once again lower his head, this time in a silent apology.

"You really are a stubborn fool, Wei Wuxian, let me tell you that. You should not worry about those things. Let me worry instead and just focus on your recovery and on spending time with Lan Wangji."

Jiang Cheng did not really want to say that last sentence aloud but it surely seemed to have done the trick. Wei Wuxian's head snapped up and he was watching the Yunmeng Jiang sect leader with his mouth agape and his cheeks slightly red, Jiang Cheng knew this time it was not from overexertion. The look on his brother's face was priceless and he did not regret telling him that he knew about the relationship between him and the Second Jade in the slightest.

It only pained him that even after everything, Wei Wuxian would still try to sacrifice himself and his well-being for their family and the Yunmeng Jiang sect. It seemed like old habits die hard. Jiang Cheng could only hope that one day, his brother would no longer feel obliged to overlook himself and his discomfort and pain – for he was sure that even deciding to carry Suibian around despite knowing that he would not be able to wield it properly must have been extremely hard for his brother – and would start caring about his own happiness.

They still had a long away ahead of them to fix what had been broken so much in the past.

"Come," he told all three of the others and turned around, leading them to the sect hall where breakfast was already being prepared, "we need to talk about many things. We shall have breakfast all together and finally clear everything up. Really, can you not be a stubborn fool for just one second..."

Even though Jiang Cheng wanted to scold his brother, there was no heat behind his words. He knew that Wei Wuxian was nothing if stubborn and too self-sacrificial for his own good. On the other hand, he would not have wanted him to be any different, that was just who his brother really was.