For my son (Ryeo & Maggie)

Bet you weren't expecting some momma's boy moments, huh?

Well...

Let's get right into it ~

******~*****~*****~*****

Ryeo followed closely behind his mother as she started to set the table for dinner. He placed a pair of chopsticks next to each plate of food and when the table was completely set, Maggie turned to him and pinched his cheek affectionately. Maggie smiled up at her first born child and felt tears spring to her eyes. Ryeo saw her eyes get misty and his smile fell.
"Mother, what's wrong?"
He asked with concern, grabbing her hands.

Maggie sniffled, shaking her head. She caressed his face affectionately and pulled him in for a tight hug, rubbing his back.
"My baby is grown... that's all."
She started to smooth out his shirt with her fingers and Ryeo listened to her words without interruption.

"It seems like yesterday, I was holding you in my arms. When I had you, I was afraid and worried that I wouldn't be the mother you needed. I was in a dark place in my life and when you were born, I just wanted to be the best version of myself just for you. The first moment I heard your little cries in that hospital room, I just started to cry. Fat tears were rolling down my cheeks and I could barely see from all the crying I was doing."
She sniffled, wiping the tears from her face as she started to laugh, thinking back on that day.

"Your father was frozen like a block of ice. We both knew this day was coming but I think it really set in for him that day. I was a blubbering mess and your father didn't know what to do. He eventually cut the umbilical cord and when they placed you in my arms... Lord.."
Maggie continued, placing her hand over her heart.

"You were the most perfect thing. And I knew.. despite all the pain I had endured up until that point.. I knew that I was going to be ok. If I was capable of creating such a miracle... A sweet, healthy, baby boy... Not one defect at all... I knew that I could live again. That despite everything that happened in my life... Despite how broken I felt ...The moments when I just... I.. I wanted to..."
She trailed off, giving Ryeo a watery smile and holding his face in her hands.

Ryeo furrowed his eyebrows.
"What do you mean, mom? That you could live again.. What did you mean when you said that?"

Ryeo's eyes searched his mother's face and saw a sadness in her eyes he'd never seen before. It didn't sit well with him and he wanted to know why...

"Mom, why are you looking that way? You're hiding something from me."
He told her.

Maggie smiled, shaking her head.
"There's a saying that children choose their parents while their in the womb.. Isn't that bizarre?"

Ryeo grabbed his mother's hands and he frowned. Why wouldn't she tell him? He just wanted to know what was making her so unhappy.

"Well... I'm happy that you chose me. I'm a proud mother. I'm so proud of you. Thank you, Ryeo."
She finished.

The rest of the Takahashi family arrived home shortly after their talk and everyone enjoyed a pleasant meal together. Maggie and Yuji asked the children about their day and she was all smiles. Ryeo smiled and laughed with his siblings but he locked eyes with his mother after their plates were cleared. He gave her a knowing look and Maggie bowed her head in his direction.

Her son had always been perceptive, even when he was a toddler.

She didn't know when but she knew that as much as it pained her, she'd have to tell him how he came to be.. She'd have to tell him how she came to meet his father... She'd have to tell him everything one day..

**********************************************

I'm on a roll I guess.

What do you think?
Thoughts?

I've got a little more writing to do before the day is done.

As always,
Thank you for reading, commenting and voting.
_Maddie ❤️