Strange Encounters Pt.3 (Yumiro x Reader)

I think I've kept everyone waiting long enough

Let's get right into it then ~

(Yumiro's POV)

Ah.

The feeling. The pull.

There was a nagging feeling telling me that I needed to be in attendance tonight and look what had just fallen into my lap. I'd seen thousands of faces in my lifetime and on rare occasions, I committed them to memory. She was one of them and from the look on her face... I had made quite the impression.

I bowed in their direction and straightened myself up while I nursed the bourbon in my glass. She wasn't alone. A young woman that looked to be close in age with her was discussing art with two socialites and I looked on, silently. My lost little lamb was still awestruck.. I was paying her very close attention out of the corner of my eye but everyone else was engrossed in conversations. The dark, hard liquid moved past my lips and I gave the woman my full attention. She was clutching her plate of finger food with both hands and looking at her feet.

Her friend nudged her with her elbow and she straightened up quickly, forcing a smile that made her eyes crinkle..

"Yes. We're in our final year of school. The amount of studying we do is insane. Yes, of course. My average is an A minus but my friend is a straight A student. We're just looking for sponsors so that we don't have to stress about the Masters programs."
Her friend told the small group of people that we're huddled around.

I downed the rest of my drink and deposited the glass on the end of one of the nearby tables. I buried both my hands in the pockets of my slacks and approached the young lady that seemed to be frozen.

"Are you a person of little words or are you just socially awkward?"
I asked bluntly.

The people around us stopped talking, waiting for her response. Her smile fell and she placed her plate aside.
"That's not very nice to say. I think I like to listen more than I like to interrupt." Was her response.

I nodded.
"Good answer. But first impressions on everything. How do you hope to secure academic funding in a place like this if you're not going to introduce yourself? Tell us about yourself. Your friend probably does all the talking for the both of you. How... unfortunate."
I added.

Her lips parted and her eyes darted to all the people that had stopped to ease drop. She sighed and nodded.
"My name is Y/N. I'm a Biology major and I currently have two scholarships. Although I am grateful for the funding, I still have to pick up a part time job to keep up with expenses. I've balanced my job and my academic life well so far but any financial help would be appreciated. Tuition is set to increase by 551,000 yen after next year which is when the Master's program starts. With the funding, I could devote my time strictly to my studies and cut the amount of time I would need to work at my job."

A few people murmured replies and nodded their heads but nobody made a move to offer their help.

Her friend looked at her and then everybody else.
"We have big plans for our futures and hope that someone will extend their aid to us before the night is over."

I assessed the women from head to toe.. They looked very nice. I wasn't the only one that followed my train of thought because I didn't have to look for long before I saw the hungry looks in the eyes of some of patrons... Men and women alike.. Nothing in this world was free and money was something that would cost them.. The young lady's exchanged looks with each other and a man stepped forward with neatly trimmed black hair. He extended a card out to the both of them, licking his lips as he did.
He was brief and to the point with his proposal stating that would be happy to wire money to their accounts if they joined him on his next business excursion. A women with long blonde hair and a silver cocktail dress said that money wouldn't be an issue if they agreed to be her live in secretary/personal assistant.