Chapter 1 ~ The coffee pot

"Good morning, New York," Tony called out as he entered the kitchen. He had been working non-stop on a project for the last two days, running on caffeine and spite alone. To his despair, the coffee machine in his lab had given up just in time for his next refill. Being too lazy to fix it, he showed up in the kitchen to fetch some, only to find a very bitter-looking Clint glaring at the machine as if it had insulted his mother.

"What's up your ass this morning, Legolas?" He chuckled, earning a tired glare from the archer.

"Nat hid all the damn coffee," Clint answered as he leaned on the counter, arms crossed. Tony's face fell instantly. He furrowed his brows and nodded, a grim expression on his face as he leaned against the counter next to Clint. There the two stood for a hot second, trying to figure out bribes and blackmail to get the precious coffee back safely.

"Good morni- what are you two sulking about now?" A particular man with a plan asked as he walked into the kitchen after his daily morning run, sweaty and still a bit out of breath. He walked over to the fridge where he had put a water bottle earlier and downed its contents before turning back to Clint and Tony, still waiting for an answer.

"Nat hid all the coffee," Clint grumbled finally. "Speak of the devil, and he shall appear." The infamous Black Widow waltzed into the room with a box of coffee in her hands and a smug look on her face. She strutted over to the coffee machine and began brewing herself a cup. Nat looked up at the two men standing next to her and smiled innocently at the deadly glares they shot at her. Once she had her coffee, she took her full mug and went to the kitchen island. She climbed on top of it, took a sip from her drink, and grinned in anticipation for the circus. Tony and Clint shared one look and simultaneously threw themselves at the coffee pot to get a cup before the other could. This led to a vast amount of spilled coffee, shrieks, and a full-blown argument. Nat just sat there and smirked as she watched the glorious chaos unfold. Steve just sighed and shook his head before leaving the room to go and take a shower. Before long, the rest of the team started to swarm the kitchen to get some breakfast and start their day.

"Nat, what are they fighting over this time?" Bruce asked as he entered the room. He, too, had been in the lab for the last two days helping Tony with his project. Bruce had gotten slightly suspicious of a crash when his lab partner didn't return after some time, so he went to investigate only to find the genius and the archer arguing with each other, coffee puddles around them, and a far too smug red head sitting on the island drinking from her mug.

"I hid the coffee yesterday when everyone was asleep, so I could get back at them for the bullet prank they pulled two days ago. Now they got it back, and instead of cooperating, they start fighting over who will get their caffeine fix first," she explained innocently, clearly enjoying said fighting. Bruce gave her a disapproving smile, which Natasha pointedly ignored.

"Could you two knuckleheads shut up? It's too damn early for this much noise! Morning Bruce, Natasha," Sam called out as he entered the room, still trying to rub the sleep from his eyes. He, like Natasha, simply grinned at the death glares he received from the two men on his way to the fridge to make himself a sandwich. Before either of the men could start arguing again, Wanda quietly entered the room. Having heard the fuss from the corridor, she waved a hand and let her red whisps fill three cups with the dark liquid. Two stayed on the counter beside the arguing men, while the third came floating to her as she sat down next to Natasha, choosing one of the stools instead of the table. The spy playfully glared at her for ruining her fun while Bruce just sent her a grateful and slightly apologetic smile which the young witch returned. Clint and Tony just looked at Wanda with wide eyes for a moment before they took a mug each and sat down to drink their coffee in silence. Magic was still fairly new to everyday life at the compound, and some were still not quite accustomed to it being used for simple everyday tasks instead of exclusively for badass combat. At first, no one noticed Bucky sneaking into the room. He and Tony had made progress since the incident in Siberia, and Tony could now tolerate his existence, but just barely. It was still hard for the both of them to cope with and accept the past, so they kept their distance, but, of course, it was the billionaire who first noticed the Sargent's presence. The two exchanged stiff nods before both returned to their breakfast, joining in on small talk and conversations while they ate and drank. Steve joined the group only a moment later. He went over to Bucky, gave him a clap on the back and a smile, and sat down next to him, shoulder against shoulder.

"Ugh! Just kiss already," Sam called out from the other side of the room.

"Oh, shove it, Wilson," Bucky shot back as Steve stiffened slightly, which Sam found very amusing, wiggling his eyebrows at the two super soldiers.

"When was Thor coming back from Asgard?" Tony asked out of the blue as he walked over to the coffee machine to pour himself another cup.

"I believe that he was to return this morning," Vision answered, breaking from his conversation with Wanda.

"What is he doing there anyway?" Tony asked with furrowed brows. The god had returned to earth with a slightly shaken Bruce in Tony-clothes and a very brief explanation of where they had been and where he was heading before disappearing in a flashy rainbow again. What he actually said in those few seconds on American soil had gone completely over the billionaire's head.

"Wasn't he supposed to help the Valkyrie-chick restore the Valkyries and their ranks to their former glory or something?" Clint asked Bruce, using his hands to make air quotes.

"Yeah, something like that, though a tip: treat her with respect even with only Thor around. He has more or less worshiped them since he was a kid and will not take lightly to any disrespect against them," Bruce warned as he pointed a finger at them like a preschool teacher scolding some rowdy toddlers. He, too, was slightly unsure of the details of Thor's plan, even if he had been with him for about one-third of that fever dream of a mission. A moment later, as if summoned by his name, the elevator dinged, and out stepped a tall, broad-shouldered man with his hammer in hand.

"My friends!" Thor boomed. "I have returned to you with wonderful news-"

"WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK IS REINDEER GAMES DOING HERE?"