Chapter 43 ~ Old friends

Recap:

"καλή τύχη, νεαροί ήρωες"

Good luck, young heroes. 

That afternoon, when Reyna and Peter returned to the apartment, they sat down with May and went through the day's events. They discussed all kinds of solutions to all the problems that had arisen in what seemed like only a few hours, but finding one they could agree on proved more difficult than they had thought. This discussion turned out to be a lengthy one as it bounced back and forth for almost a week. Peter had noticed Reyna becoming more closed off as time went on. Too occupied in her own mind to even pay attention to Flash and his stunts. Peter wisely decided against asking her about it, figuring that he would get an answer soon enough, anyway. It had all become blatantly obvious as to why she had kept to herself when, that next Thursday morning, Peter woke up and found the top bunk of his bed neatly made and empty, save for a small piece of paper. He picked it up and unfolded it. It was a handwritten note. The font in Reyna's unmistakable cursive handwriting. The teen picked it up and read it several times before folding it down again. He had figured that something like this would happen. He just wished Reyna would have told him instead of just leaving a note, but at the same time, he understood her logic; she had made up her mind and wouldn't risk someone trying to change it. A small smile tugged at his lips, a sad but proud one. He walked out of the room, note still in hand, to the kitchen, where he found Aunt May eating her breakfast. She looked up when she heard him enter and understandably looked confused and slightly concerned when only one person exited the shared bedroom instead of the usual two.

"Where's Reyna?" She asked, brows knitting together in worry.

"She left," Peter answered simply. He walked over and placed the note on the counter next to May. She looked at Peter with shock for a moment before focusing on the piece of paper;

Dear Aranho and Aunt May,

As you may have noticed, I've left the apartment, none of which is your fault. Don't worry about me. I will be safe. I have decided to go on a little adventure and be an anonymous tourist for a while. If I happen to end up in trouble, I will let you know in one way or another.

Thank you both for taking care of me. I am forever grateful for your hospitality.

Yours truly

Rey-Rey

PS: Tell the school I'll be back soon. I just need to sort some things out at home :)

May sighed. Of course, she understood Reyna's reasoning, too. Yet she had grown to care for the young woman like her own and to see her leave like this hurt far more than she cared to admit. But she would be safe, hopefully.

"Get ready, Peter. I'll call the school," she said finally, downing what was left of her coffee.

Reyna had a mission. She had, with a lot of help from Peter, hacked into a few of SHIELD's files for fun and stumbled upon a file containing the names, current residences, and occupations of all the Palace's victims. They had found that at least a dozen of the girls that Reyna used to dance with lived and worked around central New York. She had written down all the names on a piece of paper that she now kept safely in a pocket. She took the bus from Queens into central Manhattan and got off right by Central Park: the closest stop to her destination. Reyna walked on and on down the streets and avenues, searching all the shop windows until she found a small hairdresser tucked into a corner. Bingo. She looked around before opening the front door and stepping inside. The small but well-organized space was empty at the moment, save for a girl sitting by one of the windows, but "luckily," she got up and left just as Reyna entered.