Chapter 41 ~ Silver & gold

⚠️

Recap:

Soon they have to pack up their things to catch the last bus going back to Queens, but not yet. For now, they could simply enjoy each other's company, forgetting about anything that could bother them. Soon they had to leave this wonderful place for this time.

Just not yet.

"There are five different rivers that flow through the Underworld. Do any of you know what they are called?" Mr. Brunner asked the class. A girl in the front threw her hand up, Hermione style, and she got the word.

"Styx," she called, looking quite proud of herself.

"Yes, good job, Mary. Can you tell what she is the guardian of?"

"Hate."

"Yes. The river Styx is the personification of hate. Can anyone tell me the names of the other four rivers?" the teacher continued as he rolled his electric wheelchair over to the whiteboard and started writing the definition. Reyna sat in the back with Ned and Peter, as usual, scribbling in her notebook, quietly muttering corrections as people tried to come up with Greek-sounding names, and not really paying attention.

"Laura," the teacher called, snapping her out of her daze. "Since it seems to bother you so much that this class does not know the proper names of the rivers, could you tell us the correct ones and their domains, please?" Some people snickered, thinking that a teacher had finally caught her slacking. She glared their way as she propped herself up on her lower arms against the desk, turning her attention to Mr. Brunner.

"It would be my pleasure, sir. Since we've already mentioned Styx, I'll continue with the rest; Lethe, oblivion, Acheron, misery, Phlegethon, fire, and Cocytus, wailing, in that order. Do you want the makeup of Hades too?" She listed them all with a sweet smile and without hesitation as Brunner's proud smile grew. The teacher's pet in the front did not share his pride, though.

"Hades is actually the king of the Underworld. The rivers are in the Underworld, not Hades," Mary corrected Reyna in an incredibly obnoxious voice. As if she thought the Latina was stupid. Reyna opened her mouth to shoot her down, but the teacher sent her a stern look before turning to the know-it-all.

"No, Laura is actually correct, Mary. Hades is another name for the Underworld and so is Erebus. Good job, Laura. I knew I could trust your knowledge on the matter," he praised before continuing his explanation for the workings of the Greek afterlife. Mary turned a peculiar shade of purple-ish red in embarrassment and anger at being corrected. Reyna turned to Peter.

"Trust a Christian to try to lecture a Pagan about her own gods," she whispered, making both Peter and Ned snicker. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, bringing the lecture to a halt.

"Come in," Mr. Brunner called. A tall man with shoulder-length brown hair and a beard, wearing a casual suit and a pair of glasses, creaked open the door just enough to slip in.

"Hello, so sorry to bother you. I just need to borrow Mr. Parker and Ms. Dias for a moment. They're in this class, correct?" The man spoke with a polite British accent as he searched the room for the right individuals.

"Yes, they're right there in the back. You can leave your stuff. We'll see you in a moment." Brunner waved them forward. Reyna looked up from her notebook as Peter's chair scraped along the floor. She looked at him with a confused expression, but when her gaze fell on the man who had called her alias, her eyes flashed and her jaw clenched. Those fuckers sure had some audacity. Slowly, she rose from her chair and followed Peter out of the classroom, a deadly glare firmly in place on the man who held the door open for them. She would not cause a scene. She could wait. He closed the door behind them and led the two through the busy hallways and into an empty classroom. Peter picked up on Reyna's burning rage against the man, but he couldn't for the life of him understand why. He was just a teacher who needed to talk to them for whatever reason. What was he missing? The second the door closed behind them; Peter got his answer. Reyna exploded in a supernova of black, and the man met her with green. The blinds were rolled down, the door locked, and they blocked its window with a piece of black cloth. No witnesses. Peter fled to a corner as Reyna's illusion got torn down. She summoned Enyo and pounced on the man. Oh, she's mad, mad, Peter thought from his hiding place in a bubble of magic-free air that both the mages subconsciously created.